Old 29-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Registered User

Default HELP - builders sand in my lawn

Hello,

Just posted this to the wrong forum, so sorry if you see this twice.

I have just laid a rather lumpy lawn using reclaimed turf. To fill the cracks between the turves I used a mixture of 50/50 old potting compost and sand, as recommended elsewhere. I used BUILDERS sand, but I have just been reading on here that it should have been SHARP sand.

Have I done a major boo-boo? What will happen to my new lawn? Should I do something about it?

Or am I worrying about nothing??

Help.
Old 30-04-2009, 01:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wardcorp said:

Hello,

Just posted this to the wrong forum, so sorry if you see this twice.

I have just laid a rather lumpy lawn using reclaimed turf. To fill the
cracks between the turves I used a mixture of 50/50 old potting compost
and sand, as recommended elsewhere. I used BUILDERS sand, but I have
just been reading on here that it should have been SHARP sand.

Have I done a major boo-boo? What will happen to my new lawn? Should

do something about it?

Or am I worrying about nothing??

I think you can find far better things to worry about.

The important thing is that you mixed the potting compost (which will slowly
subside as it continues to decompose) with something that will continue to
occupy space.

I suspect (based on my own attempts to fill in an area with reclaimed turf)
that you will have an opportunity/need to top-dress at least one more time
before everything knits together.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored