Old 30-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Default Wearing goggles while mowing?

Just bought a new lawn mower (Bosch Rotak 40), and wondered if it was necessary to wear goggles, or if new laws about safety requirements for manufacturing mowers made this safety tip redundant these days.

If the 'shell' of the mower is covering the blade, I don't possibly see how a stone/wood chip can shoot out at the angle required to hit your eyes, without hitting the case first. Can someone enlighten me on this?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
twinbee

I've never worn goggles while mowing. But then I wear glasses which
give at least some protection. And my lawn is solid turf, little
probability of hitting a stone, etc. Still, I think there is always
some chance that something you hit could somehow wind up hitting
you. If I had to mow a lawn that was half bare and had stones, I
might have a different answer. How many precautions you want to take
is a personal choice, as long as you're doing it yourself. At least
today, check back as the way things are going, that could change.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 16:06:11 +0100, twinbee
wrote:

Just bought a new lawn mower (Bosch Rotak 40), and wondered if it was
necessary to wear goggles, or if new laws about safety requirements for
manufacturing mowers made this safety tip redundant these days.

If the 'shell' of the mower is covering the blade, I don't possibly see
how a stone/wood chip can shoot out at the angle required to hit your
eyes, without hitting the case first. Can someone enlighten me on this?

They're your eyes, do you want to take the chance?

Before I started lawn cutting full time I didn't wear protection either
but now I always wear a full face spraying mask when strimming and mowing.

Steven
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Apr 30, 11:06*am, twinbee
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. Interestingly, the instructions give plenty of warnings, but mention nothing about goggles. The blade is very slightly above where the shell covers (in other words, the shell covers a range of a hemi-sphere, and a fraction more), so any stones would presumably shoot out an angle almost parallel to the grass or better if any were going to escape, and the rest would hit the 'roof'.

Haha, I know I'm probably being paranoid
Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 30, 11:06*am, twinbee
wrote:
Just bought a new lawn mower (Bosch Rotak 40), and wondered if it was
necessary to wear goggles, or if new laws about safety requirements for
manufacturing mowers made this safety tip redundant these days.

If the 'shell' of the mower is covering the blade, I don't possibly see
how a stone/wood chip can shoot out at the angle required to hit your
eyes, without hitting the case first. Can someone enlighten me on this?

--
twinbee

I wear an pair of tinted, prescription safety glasses along with using
ear plugs. No great encumbrance. Always good idea to be cautious
around power equipment.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steven Wayne" wrote in message
Before I started lawn cutting full time I didn't wear protection either

Wear it for bush care too. :P

Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 8, 2:04*pm, "Steve" wrote:
"Steven Wayne" wrote in message
Before I started lawn cutting full time I didn't wear protection either

Wear it for bush care too. *:P

you wear a pink dress and pantyhose too, you punk ass pos.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 4/30/2009 11:06 AM (ET) twinbee wrote the following:
Just bought a new lawn mower (Bosch Rotak 40), and wondered if it was
necessary to wear goggles, or if new laws about safety requirements for
manufacturing mowers made this safety tip redundant these days.

If the 'shell' of the mower is covering the blade, I don't possibly see
how a stone/wood chip can shoot out at the angle required to hit your
eyes, without hitting the case first. Can someone enlighten me on this?

It's not just about a stick or stone hitting you in the eye.
Mowing a dry lawn when it is gusty outside can blow debris into your
eye. Not a permanent injury, but can require washing out your eye.
BTW, I don't wear eye protection, so I know of what I speak. :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 24-05-2009, 07:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 30, 10:06*am, twinbee
wrote:
Just bought a new lawn mower (Bosch Rotak 40), and wondered if it was
necessary to wear goggles, or if new laws about safety requirements for
manufacturing mowers made this safety tip redundant these days.

If the 'shell' of the mower is covering the blade, I don't possibly see
how a stone/wood chip can shoot out at the angle required to hit your
eyes, without hitting the case first. Can someone enlighten me on this?

--
twinbee

I opt for safety. I use a smaller mower and have a nearly rock free
area to mow. But twigs hurt too. And I only came with one pair of
eyes. I wear eyeglasses and recently got safety goggles though I was
considering a face mask since the tiny twigs seem to get me in the
chin now and then.
Ear PLUGS for sure. IF you don't have ringing in your ears, protect
yourself. If you DO have ringing in your ears, don't make it worse.
Old 25-05-2009, 02:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 24, 1:09*am, greenehawke wrote:
On Apr 30, 10:06*am, twinbee
wrote:

[...]

Nope no need for safety goggles . Same with condoms.......no need.
Real men go bareback and glassless