GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Unwanted growths in my Floxx (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/183212-unwanted-growths-my-floxx.html)

[email protected] 02-05-2009 10:29 AM

Unwanted growths in my Floxx

I have a spread of nice-looking Floxx that has what looks to be a
small amount of weeds growing amongst the Floxx. The weeds appear
like long blades of grass. I can and have tried to remove them, one
blade at a time, but I am wondering if a weed-killer such as Weed B
Gone would do it without damaging the Floxx? Or maybe something else?

Thanks

Duke

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 02-05-2009 01:07 PM

said:

I have a spread of nice-looking Floxx that has what looks to be a
small amount of weeds growing amongst the Floxx. The weeds

appear
like long blades of grass. I can and have tried to remove them, one
blade at a time, but I am wondering if a weed-killer such as Weed B
Gone would do it without damaging the Floxx? Or maybe

something else?

You could try to very carefully apply a weed killer with the active
ingredient Glyphosate to the weed you want to kill. Use a cotton
swab or paintbrush to apply it to the grassy bits. *Do not get
it on the Phlox!*

I recommend Glyphosate because it will kill grasses, which may
be what's invaded your Phlox. Weed B Gone will not.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Chas Hurst 02-05-2009 04:02 PM

wrote in message
I have a spread of nice-looking Floxx that has what looks to be a
small amount of weeds growing amongst the Floxx. The weeds appear
like long blades of grass. I can and have tried to remove them, one
blade at a time, but I am wondering if a weed-killer such as Weed B
Gone would do it without damaging the Floxx? Or maybe something else?

Thanks

Duke

There are products which can be sprayed on flower beds that will kill
grasses but not broad leafed plants. Grass-be-Gone and Grass Getter are 2
that I have seen in garden stores.

Eggs Zachtly 02-05-2009 05:03 PM

said:

I have a spread of nice-looking Floxx that has what looks to be a
small amount of weeds growing amongst the Floxx.

Do you mean "Phlox"? Is it a creeping Phlox, or a tall, Garden Phlox?

The weeds appear like long blades of grass.

It sounds like Bermuda grass, but without knowing your geographic location,
it could be a lot of things.

I can and have tried to remove them, one blade at a time,

Which will do little good (save for athstetics) if it is Bermuda. You'll
need to either kill the grass, or remove the stolen, which can be quite
deep.

but I am wondering if a weed-killer such as Weed B
Gone would do it without damaging the Floxx?

Probably not. It will probably kill the Phlox.

Or maybe something else?

If it /is/ Bermuda grass, it's difficult to kill, especially this time of
year, even with a non-selective herbicide such as Glyphosate. It's
aggressively growing, and can recover quickly. Your best bet is to try and
dig down and remove the stolens. You may damage some of the Phlox's roots
in the process, but it should recover fine.

--

Eggs

Did Noah keep his bees in archives?

[email protected] 02-05-2009 10:53 PM

Unwanted growths in my Floxx

On Sat, 2 May 2009 11:03:29 -0500, Eggs Zachtly
wrote:

Do you mean "Phlox"? Is it a creeping Phlox, or a tall, Garden Phlox?\

Phlox it is.

creeping

The weeds appear like long blades of grass.

It sounds like Bermuda grass, but without knowing your geographic location,
it could be a lot of things.

Delaware

I can and have tried to remove them, one blade at a time,

Which will do little good (save for athstetics) if it is Bermuda. You'll
need to either kill the grass, or remove the stolen, which can be quite
deep.

but I am wondering if a weed-killer such as Weed B
Gone would do it without damaging the Floxx?

Probably not. It will probably kill the Phlox.

Or maybe something else?

If it /is/ Bermuda grass, it's difficult to kill, especially this time of
year, even with a non-selective herbicide such as Glyphosate. It's
aggressively growing, and can recover quickly. Your best bet is to try and
dig down and remove the stolens. You may damage some of the Phlox's roots
in the process, but it should recover fine.

Looks like I have a problem!

Thanks

Duke