Old 04-05-2009, 02:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Was free lawnmower not running quite right

Stubby wrote:
On Apr 28, 12:08 am, Brandon McCombs wrote:
Art wrote:
Brandon McCombs wrote:
Hello,
I was recently given a lawnmower with a Briggs/Stratton 6.5HP motor. I
was told it might need tuned because it hadn't been run for about 5
years. When I first put gas in it I noticed it started to leak the
fuel behind the primer button. That was on Friday night. Saturday when
I tried it again by putting more fuel in it the leaks didn't reappear
but after priming the engine started but would immediately stop. As
long as I had someone continuously press the primer button the engine
continued to run just fine.
So the spark plug was working, fuel line was clear, etc. Today I took
apart the carb except for the float bowl that housed fuel near where
the primer button is located. I attempted to take that component apart
as well but couldn't get the nut on the bottom loosened. So I just
cleaned the carb as best as I could but I didn't see anything clogged
and my cleaning was mainly done for aesthetics. Short of taking the
mower to a pro for maintenance can anyone tell me something that could
put me on the right track to fixing it myself? Everything I read
online made it sound like it was a carb issue but I didn't find any
problems unless they were in the float bowl that I didn't take apart.
The advice I found said there would be a pin/screw with a pinhole in
it from where the fuel would be ejected and that it was probably
clogged thus preventing normal flow of fuel. But I never found
anything like that in my carb. The place where it looked like fuel was
inserted was more like a tube sticking straight up and I couldn't get
to it since it was above the area I didn't take apart. Since that
small tube was inside the primer button component I couldn't look in
it to see if it was clogged.
For anyone who happens to have (or wants to download) the parts list
for my B&S engine, the model is 121602-0190-E1. It is an Intek, not
the Quantum type. Oddly enough, looking at the owner's manual both
types are supposed to have a Safety Key but mine doesn't have that. I
was working off page 4 of the parts list PDF file to determine the
names of the parts I was working with today. Part #975 is the float
bowl and part #134 I think is the small "tube" that fuel comes out of
when operational. What are the odds that is clogged and that priming
the engine constantly would help work around that particular problem?
This mower has a bag also. The bags aren't required to be on for the
mower to work are they? As you can tell my knowledge of mowers is slim
to none. I'm a recent first time home buyer so I'm learning.
Any ideas?
thanks
Brandon
You need to get the float bowl off and clean it out along with the main
jet. If the nut will not come off then you'll need to replace the carb.

OK. I'll target the float bowl next time I work on it. Figures that the
part that I didn't look at in-depth is the thing that is most likely the
problem. If this doesn't work I may just buy a carb kit but if cleaning
the float bowl and the main jet don't do it then maybe there are bigger
problems which a new carb won't fix. If I'm lucky I won't work too late
on Tuesday and I can try it again and report back in a timely manner.
I'm in the US Damian so I prefer to not call international if I can

help it.

thanks guys for the quick responses.- Hide quoted text -

After installing the replacment float, be certain to set the drop just
right. As I recall the rebuild kit has a little cardboard gauge that
will help you adjust the tab that activates the needle valve.

I took apart the float bowl of my lawnmower. The needle-size hole in the
bolt keeping the float bowl together was crusted up so I ran a paper
clip through it to clean it. It is wide open now. I also ran the paper
clip up into the main jet but it was clean. I put everything back
together but the mower still stalls unless continuously primed. Could
the float be screwed up and need replacing? How to tell if the float is
okay? What else could be causing the mower to stall? Should I get a new
spark plug?

thanks
Brandon
Old 04-05-2009, 12:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 3, 9:59*pm, Brandon McCombs wrote:
Stubby wrote:

Brandon, Hold the float bowl in your hand and blow into the fuel
inlet. Use your other hand to move the float up and down. This
should close and open the needle valve that allows fuel to enter. (I
assume you cleaned the fuel filter!)
Old 05-05-2009, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Brandon McCombs wrote:

I took apart the float bowl of my lawnmower. The needle-size hole in the
bolt keeping the float bowl together was crusted up so I ran a paper
clip through it to clean it. It is wide open now. I also ran the paper
clip up into the main jet but it was clean. I put everything back
together but the mower still stalls unless continuously primed. Could
the float be screwed up and need replacing? How to tell if the float is
okay? What else could be causing the mower to stall? Should I get a new
spark plug?

thanks
Brandon

You're on the right track, you just didn't get it clean enough. There
are usually a series of small holes along the sides of the pickup tube
that also need to be cleaned out. Jamming a paper clip through the jets
is not really the thing to do. Get a can of carb cleaner (2+2 is a good
brand if you can find it) put the jets and/or pickup tube in a small
glass baby food jar and spray in a generous amount of carb cleaner and
let them soak for at least a few hours maybe even overnight. Also spray
the cleaner through all the orifices in the carb body and _blow_ _out_
_with_ _compressed_ _air_. If you can soak the entire carb body that is
even better. If you must push something through the jets to get the gunk
out use a piece of small copper wire. At least the copper is soft enough
to not damage the brass holes like a steel paper clip will.

When you reassemble it make sure everything is spotless, and clean
enough to eat off of. The smallest piece of trash in a carb will greatly
affect the running of the engine.

A float needs to float in the bowl to close the inlet valve. If it sinks
it will leak fuel everywhere.

By all means put a new spark plug in it. That is not your problem but
they are too cheap to not start out with a new one.

--
Art
Old 05-05-2009, 02:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby wrote:

Brandon, Hold the float bowl in your hand and blow into the fuel
inlet. Use your other hand to move the float up and down. This
should close and open the needle valve that allows fuel to enter. (I
assume you cleaned the fuel filter!)

Fuel comes out of the needle valve if I rotate the float bowl just the
right way. A paperclip can also go all the way up through the needle
valve so I know that is clear. I stick the paperclip through the hole
that the fuel hose connects to and the paperclip doesn't go in very far,
maybe an inch. That isn't far enough to meet any other holes in the
middle of the carb but since fuel comes out of the float bowl, etc. when
I rotate it in various directions (including the fuel intake where the
hose connects) I have to assume that fuel is making its way into the
carb just fine (although maybe only when I prime it, thus the problem).
I can't see into that hole that the fuel hose connects to so I can't
tell if it is blocked or just narrows to a hole smaller than a paperclip
can squeeze through much like another hole that I discuss below.

I took out the bottom bolt with the pinholes in it. The hole on the end
was open but part way down the hole it narrowed very much to the point I
couldn't get a paperclip to go through to meet the lateral holes. I
shoved the paperclip very hard into that end hole but it wouldn't go all
the way. Is that end hole supposed to narrow to an even smaller hole? I
shined a flashlight through the lateral holes and could barely see the
light when looking at the tip of the bolt. Surely the hole should be the
same size all the way through? Maybe not.

I can't clean the fuel filter because it must be inline. THe fuel line
may be partially blocked but I know it isn't totally blocked because
every time I test something with the carb I have to let fuel drain and I
do it through the end of the fuel line closest to the carb which is the
far end of the hose. Shining a flashlight down the fuel line did not
allow light to appear on the other end. Does that indicate anything?

I bought a new spark plug at WalMart tonight designed for B&S engines.
It wasn't exactly the same as the one that was in there but the one that
I took out was black. The new one was already gapped to the right spec
(.020") but I had the same problem: mower stalls after a second.

So spark plug seems to be good, fuel line seems to be clear, bolt in
bottom of float bowl is clear (although I question how clear it should
be for the hole on the end of it), so I don't know what else to try now.
I'm at a loss.

Brandon
Old 05-05-2009, 03:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Stubby wrote:

Brandon, Hold the float bowl in your hand and blow into the fuel
inlet. Use your other hand to move the float up and down. This
should close and open the needle valve that allows fuel to enter. (I
assume you cleaned the fuel filter!)

Fuel comes out of the needle valve if I rotate the float bowl just the
right way. A paperclip can also go all the way up through the needle
valve so I know that is clear.

[...]

I'm at a loss.

You TOTALLY missed the point that Art was trying to make about running the
paper clip through the needle valve. It's probably WAY too large of a hole
now. A paper clip is NOT a precision reaming tool, you know. After not
running for years, there's probably a lot of varnish built up. You could
run some SeaFoam through the system, tho I doubt it will remove enough to
be worthwhile. If you really want to use this mower, your best bet is
probably to replace the carb.

And, a word of advice... Stubby is a ****ing moron. He's *never* changed
the oil in his mower (as he's stated in the past). Do you /really/ want to
take /any/ advice about engine work, from someone that doesn't properly
take care of their own equipment?

And, throw that freaking paper clip away!
--

Eggs

Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused his dentist's Novocain during
root canal work? He wanted to transcend dental medication!

Old 05-05-2009, 03:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

You TOTALLY missed the point that Art was trying to make about running the
paper clip through the needle valve.

err... "through the jet"

Sorry, had surgery today, and the meds are affecting my typing. =)
--

Eggs

If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed...oh, wait a
minute - he already does.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Stubby wrote:
Brandon, Hold the float bowl in your hand and blow into the fuel
inlet. Use your other hand to move the float up and down. This
should close and open the needle valve that allows fuel to enter. (I
assume you cleaned the fuel filter!)

Fuel comes out of the needle valve if I rotate the float bowl just the
right way. A paperclip can also go all the way up through the needle
valve so I know that is clear.

[...]

I'm at a loss.

You TOTALLY missed the point that Art was trying to make about running the

You assume I saw his post before I posted my message. I hadn't refreshed
the list for a while and didn't see his post until after I posted mine.

paper clip through the needle valve. It's probably WAY too large of a hole
now. A paper clip is NOT a precision reaming tool, you know. After not
running for years, there's probably a lot of varnish built up. You could
run some SeaFoam through the system, tho I doubt it will remove enough to
be worthwhile. If you really want to use this mower, your best bet is
probably to replace the carb.

And, a word of advice... Stubby is a ****ing moron. He's *never* changed
the oil in his mower (as he's stated in the past). Do you /really/ want to
take /any/ advice about engine work, from someone that doesn't properly

How am I supposed to know his credentials? I didn't see a post
mentioning everyone's credentials and the results of a lie detector test.

take care of their own equipment?

And, throw that freaking paper clip away!

Well I went to ACE Hardware and they didn't have any wire that was small
enough to fit in the whole so I had to use a paperclip. I didn't have
any toothpicks either.

I think I'll try to find someplace to order a new carb since the rubber
gasket on the current float bowl is not seating correctly. I'm starting
to wonder whether a new one will fix the problem though. Hopefully they
aren't too expensive.

I noticed on a website that if the float as a hole in it that can cause
problems and based on what Art said I assume the problem would be a fuel
leak. I doubt that is an issue but I'll check it. I was leaking fuel but
only the first day I got the mower (and tonight, but I'm pretty sure
that is due to a bad seal now on the float bowl).

It is making me mad that everything I do isn't fixing the problem. It's
getting to the point where even after a new carb I'd still take it right
off (if it worked) to figure out what's wrong with the current one.
Would be nice to look at a totally clean carb (or at least one that
works) to compare but this is the first mower I've ever owned, let alone
take apart.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Brandon McCombs said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Stubby wrote:
Brandon, Hold the float bowl in your hand and blow into the fuel
inlet. Use your other hand to move the float up and down. This
should close and open the needle valve that allows fuel to enter. (I
assume you cleaned the fuel filter!)
Fuel comes out of the needle valve if I rotate the float bowl just the
right way. A paperclip can also go all the way up through the needle
valve so I know that is clear.

[...]

I'm at a loss.

You TOTALLY missed the point that Art was trying to make about running the

You assume I saw his post before I posted my message. I hadn't refreshed
the list for a while and didn't see his post until after I posted mine.

Ya. You're right. I shouldn't assume anything about you. Other than you're
clueless. Art's post was made an hour after Stubby's, and your reply to
Stubby was an hour after that. We'll just add USENET to the things you
don't understand.

[...]

LOL Ya. Toothpicks are precision reaming tools, too. We all know that.
*shakes head*

Clean it with carburetor cleaner and compressed air. Nothing else. You
missed that bit of advice from Art too, didn't you.

I think I'll try to find someplace to order a new carb since the rubber
gasket on the current float bowl is not seating correctly. I'm starting
to wonder whether a new one will fix the problem though. Hopefully they
aren't too expensive.

I noticed on a website that if the float as a hole in it that can cause
problems and based on what Art said I assume the problem would be a fuel
leak.

Well.. ya. It's called a "float". If it has a hole in it, do you think
that's still going to be a valid name?

I doubt that is an issue but I'll check it. I was leaking fuel but
only the first day I got the mower (and tonight, but I'm pretty sure
that is due to a bad seal now on the float bowl).

It is making me mad that everything I do isn't fixing the problem.

Getting mad because you don't know what you're doing isn't going to help
matters. It's just going to probably make you get out the power tools. Lord
knows what you'd do to a carb with a drill in your hand.

It's
getting to the point where even after a new carb I'd still take it right
off (if it worked) to figure out what's wrong with the current one.

Then, you're even more clueless than you're letting on. Your best bet is
probably to take the mower to your local small engine repair shop, tell
them all the boneheaded things you've tried, and hope they can fix it for
you. Then, in the future, take it there for service instead of trying to
fix it yourself. Hell... ask the dood if he's hiring and maybe you can
learn about how to properly diagnose and fix small engines.

Would be nice to look at a totally clean carb (or at least one that
works) to compare but this is the first mower I've ever owned, let alone
take apart.

I'd hate to see what you do with your first car.

--

Eggs

Is there another word for synonym?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Brandon McCombs said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Stubby wrote:
Brandon, Hold the float bowl in your hand and blow into the fuel
inlet. Use your other hand to move the float up and down. This
should close and open the needle valve that allows fuel to enter. (I
assume you cleaned the fuel filter!)
Fuel comes out of the needle valve if I rotate the float bowl just the
right way. A paperclip can also go all the way up through the needle
valve so I know that is clear.
[...]

I'm at a loss.

You TOTALLY missed the point that Art was trying to make about running the

You assume I saw his post before I posted my message. I hadn't refreshed
the list for a while and didn't see his post until after I posted mine.

Ya. You're right. I shouldn't assume anything about you. Other than you're
clueless. Art's post was made an hour after Stubby's, and your reply to

Hey asswipe. **** off. I admitted I don't know anything about lawnmowers
but I'm not clueless in general.

Stubby was an hour after that. We'll just add USENET to the things you
don't understand.

Stubby posted at almost 8AM, Art posted at 830PM. I refreshed sometime
around 7PM when I got home. Obviously Art's post wouldn't have shown up
by then would it? When I sent my message it was after I had done the
work on the mower but I didn't refresh the list prior to submitting my
new message. If you don't realize that is what happened, let alone that
it is viable, then who really is the clueless one about usenet?

[...]

Exactly how is a toothpick any worse than copper wire? None of them are
precision tools asshole.

Clean it with carburetor cleaner and compressed air. Nothing else. You
missed that bit of advice from Art too, didn't you.

Yeah because that is precision. I missed it because I didn't know he
posted until after I posted my message. I didn't refresh until about
midnight, 2.5 hours after I posted and 3.5 hours after Art posted.

I think I'll try to find someplace to order a new carb since the rubber
gasket on the current float bowl is not seating correctly. I'm starting
to wonder whether a new one will fix the problem though. Hopefully they
aren't too expensive.

I noticed on a website that if the float as a hole in it that can cause
problems and based on what Art said I assume the problem would be a fuel
leak.

Well.. ya. It's called a "float". If it has a hole in it, do you think
that's still going to be a valid name?

Hard to say. I'm not an asswipe like you.

If you aren't going to contribute anything useful, **** off.

It's
getting to the point where even after a new carb I'd still take it right
off (if it worked) to figure out what's wrong with the current one.

Then, you're even more clueless than you're letting on. Your best bet is
probably to take the mower to your local small engine repair shop, tell

Being persistent is not the same thing as clueless. Someone with a 4th
grade education would realize that.

them all the boneheaded things you've tried, and hope they can fix it for
you. Then, in the future, take it there for service instead of trying to
fix it yourself. Hell... ask the dood if he's hiring and maybe you can
learn about how to properly diagnose and fix small engines.

Would be nice to look at a totally clean carb (or at least one that
works) to compare but this is the first mower I've ever owned, let alone
take apart.

I'd hate to see what you do with your first car.

I'm beyond my first car. Go away. You obviously have nothing useful to
contribute.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Brandon McCombs said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Brandon McCombs said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Stubby wrote:
[...]

Which would explain why you insist on making matters worse by guessing and
trying to fix it with whatever is handy, instead of taking it to someone
that fixes small engines for a living (who also probably spends the better
part of their day cleaning up after idiots like you).

but I'm not clueless in general.

You've done/said little to prove that.

Stubby was an hour after that. We'll just add USENET to the things you
don't understand.

Stubby posted at almost 8AM, Art posted at 830PM. I refreshed sometime
around 7PM when I got home. Obviously Art's post wouldn't have shown up
by then would it? When I sent my message it was after I had done the
work on the mower but I didn't refresh the list prior to submitting my
new message. If you don't realize that is what happened, let alone that
it is viable, then who really is the clueless one about usenet?

What I realize is that you make the same mistake that other clueless USENET
noobs make. You post willy-nilly without actually attempting to read an
entire thread's replies first.

[...]

No shit? But, the hole in the jet /is/ precision. Again, you're clueless.
You don't understand the first thing about carbs, so why are you trying to
fix it with your backwoods techniques?

Clean it with carburetor cleaner and compressed air. Nothing else. You
missed that bit of advice from Art too, didn't you.

Yeah because that is precision.

No dumbass. That's proper.

I missed it because I didn't know he
posted until after I posted my message. I didn't refresh until about
midnight, 2.5 hours after I posted and 3.5 hours after Art posted.

I think I'll try to find someplace to order a new carb since the rubber
gasket on the current float bowl is not seating correctly. I'm starting
to wonder whether a new one will fix the problem though. Hopefully they
aren't too expensive.

I noticed on a website that if the float as a hole in it that can cause
problems and based on what Art said I assume the problem would be a fuel
leak.

Well.. ya. It's called a "float". If it has a hole in it, do you think
that's still going to be a valid name?

Hard to say. I'm not an asswipe like you.

No. You're simply an idiot.

I doubt that is an issue but I'll check it. I was leaking fuel but
only the first day I got the mower (and tonight, but I'm pretty sure
that is due to a bad seal now on the float bowl).

It is making me mad that everything I do isn't fixing the problem.

Getting mad because you don't know what you're doing isn't going to help
matters. It's just going to probably make you get out the power tools. Lord
knows what you'd do to a carb with a drill in your hand.

If you aren't going to contribute anything useful, **** off.

I contributed plenty useful. I told you to take it to someone that can
hopefully fix your clueless blunders. That's probably the best advice
you've received, but you're too dense to realize that.

It's
getting to the point where even after a new carb I'd still take it right
off (if it worked) to figure out what's wrong with the current one.

Then, you're even more clueless than you're letting on. Your best bet is
probably to take the mower to your local small engine repair shop, tell

Being persistent is not the same thing as clueless.

Being persistent with doing things the wrong way is quite the same thing as
being clueless.

Someone with a 4th grade education would realize that.

Is that how far you got in school? That would explain a lot.

them all the boneheaded things you've tried, and hope they can fix it for
you. Then, in the future, take it there for service instead of trying to
fix it yourself. Hell... ask the dood if he's hiring and maybe you can
learn about how to properly diagnose and fix small engines.

Would be nice to look at a totally clean carb (or at least one that
works) to compare but this is the first mower I've ever owned, let alone
take apart.

I'd hate to see what you do with your first car.

I'm beyond my first car.

It probably had to be scrapped because of all the toothpicks and paperclips
stuck everywhere in it. =)

Go away. You obviously have nothing useful to contribute.

I don't believe I will. I think I'll continue to watch you **** things up.
You're quite entertaining, you know.

--
Eggs

http://micro-tunes.homelinux.org/Microtunes/index.html
Old 05-05-2009, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Stubby wrote:

[...]

Hell, just drill all those holes out so your paperclip will fit through
them.

(sheesh!)

--
Art

Old 06-05-2009, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art said:

Stubby wrote:

[...]

LOL With his smarts, the drill bit would break off in one of the holes. =)
--

Eggs

Impotence: Nature's way of saying 'No hard feelings...'
Old 06-05-2009, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Art said:

Brandon McCombs wrote:
was open but part way down the hole it narrowed very much to the point I
couldn't get a paperclip to go through to meet the lateral holes. I
shoved the paperclip very hard into that end hole but it wouldn't go all
the way. Is that end hole supposed to narrow to an even smaller hole? I

Hell, just drill all those holes out so your paperclip will fit through
them.

(sheesh!)

LOL With his smarts, the drill bit would break off in one of the holes. =)

as he hammers the drill bit through the hole...

--
Art
Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art said:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Art said:

Brandon McCombs wrote:
was open but part way down the hole it narrowed very much to the point I
couldn't get a paperclip to go through to meet the lateral holes. I
shoved the paperclip very hard into that end hole but it wouldn't go all
the way. Is that end hole supposed to narrow to an even smaller hole? I

Hell, just drill all those holes out so your paperclip will fit through
them.

(sheesh!)

LOL With his smarts, the drill bit would break off in one of the holes. =)

as he hammers the drill bit through the hole...

Using a torque wrench as the hammer...
--

Eggs

To a worm, digging in the hard ground is more relaxing than going fishing.