GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lawnmower Blad Sharpening (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/183366-lawnmower-blad-sharpening.html)

Rob_H 07-05-2009 09:19 AM

Lawnmower Blad Sharpening

Hi,

I have been given a Qualcast Cylinder lawnmower and I suspect the blades need sharpening, can anyone recomend a tool/method of doing this myself or someone that will be able to sharpen my blades in the High Wycombe/bucks area?

Thanks

Rob.

[email protected] 07-05-2009 05:52 PM

Lawnmower Blad Sharpening

--
Rob_H

I use a hand held angle grinder, which you can pick up for about $40
or so. I remove the blade, place the blade on the bottom of a
turned over 5 gallon bucket, hold it in place with my foot, and grind
away. If you want to be safer about it, you could put it in a
vice. Another alternative is a bench grinder, but I find it easier
to get at all the areas of the blade, especially mulching type blaeds,
with the angle grinder. They sell little cone shaped widgets for a
couple bucks that you can set the blade on to make sure it's
balanced. If needed, you just take some more material off the heavier
end.

If you want someone to sharpen it for you, look in the yellow pages
under mowers or lawn and garden eqpt. If you go that route, probably
best to buy an extra blade so you have a spare.

Luke 09-05-2009 06:37 PM

Lawnmower Blad Sharpening

On May 7, 10:52*am, wrote:
On May 7, 3:19*am, Rob_H wrote:

[...]

Remember, when sharpening, you don't want to sharpen to a "blade"
edge. They will just dull that much quicker. Instead, you just want
to take the nicks and dings out of the cutting surface. Also, to
balance your blade, a nail on the wall works very well.

Tynk[_2_] 23-05-2009 03:50 AM

Lawnmower Blad Sharpening

On May 9, 11:37*am, Luke wrote:
On May 7, 10:52*am, wrote:

On May 7, 3:19*am, Rob_H wrote:

[...]

balance your blade, a nail on the wall works very well.- Hide quoted text -

Y'all start shouting directions and how too's and none of you have a
****ing clue whyat type of mower he is talking about. Mindless fools.
Its a reel type mower dipshits, now tell him to go sharpen it with a
angle grinder or hang it on a nail to balance.

It takes a proper jig to sharpen a reel; mower, so take the mower to a
lawn and garden center that provides this service. Just a low or high
sppot will result in a pityfull cut that is worse than when it was
dull. The blades on a reel need to be ground/filed so the edge is 90
deg to thr cutter bar and makes light contact.