Old 08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered User

Default Clay Earth - Need help to lay turf PLEASE

Hi
I am currently working in the garden and have cleaned it through which has basically wiped out a lot of the grass.

The soil seems to be clay, in as much as when it rains it becomes a bit swampy and when its not seems very dry and does crack.

I do have parts where the original grass is still growing but not a lot.

It is about 80 feet long by about 14 to 15 feet wide

I would love to turf it but what do I need to do?

I have read a lot of things that say use sharp sand then others they say do not.

Other places that say lay 6" of topsoil onto the surface which to be honest would not work considering that would take the garden up to the top of the gravel boards on the fence and above next doors gardens and of course cost a fortune!.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am in London, UK

Thanks in advance
Old 09-05-2009, 01:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
nearlythere

Sand would make it like cement . I would see if I could get some
black dirt delivered. An inch or two would really help the sod too
take. The newspapers is a good place to look the deliver it by
truckloads.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
[...]

truckloads.- Hide quoted text -

I doubt 2" of topsoil on top of what is there is a good idea. You
want 6 or more inches of consistent topsoil. Yes, you can get away
with less, but to try to grow grass on only 2" of topsoil is setting
up for lots of future problems. And now is the time to fix it,
instead of pouring money into a half-assed solution.

First, are you sure it's clay? Does the moist soil clump together
and stay that way when u squeeze it in your hand?

If it is indeed high clay contenty, then I'd till in a combination of
sand and humus. The humus depends on what's available locally, eg
compost, seasoned manure, etc. You could also till in additonal
topsoil if it's avail at a reasonable rate. I'd also test the soil
and adjust the PH as needed. Then you can seed or sod. Don't know
where you are, but in much of the northern hemisphere it's a month or
more past the time to be doing Spring seeding.