GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to plant grass seeds past thatch? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/183453-how-plant-grass-seeds-past-thatch.html)

john[_9_] 10-05-2009 03:12 AM

How to plant grass seeds past thatch?

There are patches of dead grass or weeds on my lawn. To repair them I have
to manually pull out the thatch, spread grass seeds, then cover the seeds
with soil. This is a lot of work.

Is there some tool that would insert the grass seeds into the soil, past the
thatch?

Eggs Zachtly 10-05-2009 03:37 AM

john said:

There are patches of dead grass or weeds on my lawn. To repair them I have
to manually pull out the thatch, spread grass seeds, then cover the seeds
with soil. This is a lot of work.

Is there some tool that would insert the grass seeds into the soil, past the
thatch?

You could rent a power rake to remove the thatch. Then rent a slice seeder.
--

Eggs

-Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.

james[_2_] 14-05-2009 03:55 PM

How to plant grass seeds past thatch?

You could rent a power rake to remove the thatch. Then rent a slice
seeder.

"slice seeder" is the magic word. Thank you.

These machines are expensive! Renting seems to be the only choice.

Eggs Zachtly 14-05-2009 10:10 PM

james said:

You could rent a power rake to remove the thatch. Then rent a slice
seeder.

"slice seeder" is the magic word. Thank you.

These machines are expensive! Renting seems to be the only choice.

Ahyup. They're not worth the purchase cost unless it's really your
business. I'd still recommend de-thatching first, if it's really that bad.

Good luck
--

Eggs

..sig not found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?