Old 12-05-2009, 11:32 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default Garden Hose for transfer of K1 Oil ?

on 5/12/2009 7:33 AM (ET) George wrote the following:
James wrote:
Why ?

----------------------

It's interesting to contemplate why someone would even ask this
question.

Usually you just call someone and they show up with a tank truck with
a pump and a hose on a hose reel all designed to dispense liquid fuels
into your tank.

Then you have to pay for delivery. It's cheaper to go get it yourself.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 13-05-2009, 12:34 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"Cwatters" wrote in message
o.uk...

"RBM" wrote in message

"Red Green" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in :

"Red Green" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in
:

"RBM" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my
tank 50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length
is $200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose
like the one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for
this purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...et/product_697
0_ 20 0218424_200218424

I'm sure it's not the proper thing to use. The fuel probably
deteriorates the hose material. There's probably 20 federal laws
prohibiting it's use, but I've been dumping about 500 gallons of
heating oil from an above ground tank to an underground tank each
year for about five years now, using a cheap garden hose and a
gear pump. I just make sure to keep a close eye out for problems
while the transfer is going on

I'm just curious: what kind of 'problems' do you keep an eye out
for that you can actually solve after you visually note them
happening?

jc

City inspectors maybe.

If you need to look over your shoulder in fear of an inspector
checking the type of hose you're using, it time to move

I meant the fact of private citizen pumping oil into the
ground...tank or not.

Private citizen pumping privately owned oil from one privately owned
tank to another privately owned tank on private property...privately,
just to clarify

Well in some Granola-head states, when it comes to anything to do with
oil and the ground there is no such thing as "privately".

I hear you just fine. The whole country is becoming a nanny state.

Neighbour of mine had an oil leak recently and lost the contents of their
heating oil tank into the ground. The clean up operation has taken a two
weeks so far and is costing them a small fortune not to mention the fine.

Why would they be "fined" for having the misfortune of a fuel tank leak?

Old 13-05-2009, 01:36 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

George, you haven't seen where this mountain property is located. If you
did, you would seek to cancel your message. Otherwise, it would make sense.
Fuel trucks don't go up there, not for a million dollars.

James

----------------------

Old 13-05-2009, 01:39 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

good ideas Christopher.....

James

Old 13-05-2009, 02:16 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Thank you, sir. It ain't jus holin up mah ah glassez!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"James" wrote in message
net...
good ideas Christopher.....

James

Old 13-05-2009, 03:23 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:

Sigh.

Oil COMES from the ground. The government goes to great
lengths to put a bunch of it BACK in the ground.

But let an individual do so, and it's the end of the world.

Your ignorance is staggering. I truly hope you drink water that's been
poluted because the "nanny state" wasn't there to force that
individual to clean up the mess he created.

The Ranger

I'm in Texas. We know about oil.

Seventy percent of the nation's refining capacity is within 100 miles of my
home.

Some pussies from Washington were nosing around not long ago trying to
discover why 70% of my neighbors are bald.

We run 'em off with a shotgun.

Old 13-05-2009, 12:49 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

I have been following this thread and would like to wade in.
I had been working with equipment proffesionally installed, with rubber
hoses approved for the fluid in use, when after the years the hoses broke
down shedding pieces. In this case the chunks destroyed about a million
dolars of calibration equipment. Amazin how hard it is to find about a
hundred small rubber chunks in a room size machine.
I would suggest checking the hose before and after use, and soaking then
scraping some small section to make sure than it is still sound.
So do you have a mechanical filter in place in the line? I will assume a jet
clog of other clog will not be trivial to fix.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...8424_200218424

Old 13-05-2009, 01:40 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 May 2009 21:23:01 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

The Ranger wrote:

Sigh.

Oil COMES from the ground. The government goes to great
lengths to put a bunch of it BACK in the ground.

But let an individual do so, and it's the end of the world.

Your ignorance is staggering. I truly hope you drink water that's been
poluted because the "nanny state" wasn't there to force that
individual to clean up the mess he created.

The Ranger

I'm in Texas. We know about oil.

Seventy percent of the nation's refining capacity is within 100 miles of my
home.

Some pussies from Washington were nosing around not long ago trying to
discover why 70% of my neighbors are bald.

Man, you bald Texan men sure do go for bald women... g

We run 'em off with a shotgun.

Old 13-05-2009, 01:42 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:34:01 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

Why would they be "fined" for having the misfortune of a fuel tank leak?

For failure to meet codes? Which would have prevented contamination
from the leak... (Think dual-wall tanks.)

(see how snipping past comments makes this post easier to read?)
Old 13-05-2009, 06:26 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

"RBM" wrote in message
Why would they be "fined" for having the misfortune of a fuel tank leak?

because they should maintain it so it doesn't leak. Old ones should be
replaced by bunded tanks (twin wall).

Old 13-05-2009, 10:15 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Yes Kansas, there is a filter on the 12 volt pump, and I also have a filter
on my big oil tank, before it goes into the house.

James

Old 13-05-2009, 11:46 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"PeterD" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:34:01 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

Why would they be "fined" for having the misfortune of a fuel tank leak?

For failure to meet codes? Which would have prevented contamination
from the leak... (Think dual-wall tanks.)

(see how snipping past comments makes this post easier to read?)

Why would you assume that the tank he had, didn't meet codes? There is no
code where I live, requiring me to replace my existing tank with any special
type. Over time, if it's left in the ground, it too will become porous.

Old 13-05-2009, 11:51 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"Cwatters" wrote in message
o.uk...

"RBM" wrote in message
Why would they be "fined" for having the misfortune of a fuel tank leak?

because they should maintain it so it doesn't leak. Old ones should be
replaced by bunded tanks (twin wall).

You use the word "should" as though you are the authority. I'm sure every
state,city, county, and town have their own rules, and it seems that Stan's
neighbor could have been in compliance, in his jurisdiction, when the leak
occured. He certainly didn't indicate that he wasn't

Old 14-05-2009, 02:22 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

"RBM" wrote in message

"Cwatters" wrote in
message o.uk...

"RBM" wrote in message
Why would they be "fined" for having the misfortune of a fuel tank
leak?

because they should maintain it so it doesn't leak. Old ones should be
replaced by bunded tanks (twin wall).

You use the word "should" as though you are the authority. I'm sure every
state,city, county, and town have their own rules, and it seems that
Stan's neighbor could have been in compliance, in his jurisdiction, when
the leak occured. He certainly didn't indicate that he wasn't

My appologies, I really got screwed up on the progression of this thread.
So you're saying that where you live, there is a requirement to dig up
existing oil tanks and replace them?

Old 14-05-2009, 06:11 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote in message
m...
The Ranger wrote:

Sigh.

Oil COMES from the ground. The government goes
to great lengths to put a bunch of it BACK in the ground.

But let an individual do so, and it's the end of the world.

Your ignorance is staggering. I truly hope you drink water
that's been poluted because the "nanny state" wasn't there
to force that individual to clean up the mess he created.

I'm in Texas. We know about oil.

Y'all're just poser, nothing more than a Mississippi reject. Y'all don't
know dick.

Some pussies from Washington were nosing around not
long ago trying to discover why 70% of my neighbors
are bald.

We run 'em off with a shotgun.

Reality will eventually break those glasses y'all're wearin'.

The Ranger