Old 17-05-2009, 11:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Belt Diagram for Signature 2000 Riding Mower?

Hi. I got a Signature 2000 Elite Riding Mower/Lawn Tractor sold by
Montgomery Wards that was partially disassembled. I managed to verify that
the rear belt is the correct one. The belt for the mower deck was fairly
obvious. I'm not quite sure if the front belt is correct and I have not
been able to find a cross-reference for the number on it. Also, an idler
pulley was not attached and I have tried every possible combination of
positions and belt routing but the belt appears to be slipping, especially
if set to the higher speeds. If I route the belt around the other side of
the idler pulley so there is more tension I have no Neutral or Brake. To me
it seems like perhaps the belt is just a little too long but I can't be sure
until I verify where the idler pulley is supposed to go and how the belt
should be routed. I could not tell from any old markings such as from a nut
and washer because the deck is so dirty. Also, and this is kinda strange,
when I have it in gear and shut off the engine I can hear something spinning
around and gradually coming to a stop. It sounds like it's coming from
inside the engine. The engine was running poorly and misfiring and I was
going to check the ignition module and the flywheel key but after I found
the cracked ignition coil and eliminated the misfiring I didn't go ahead and
check the key. The flywheel is not spinning freely after the engine is shut
off so I don't know what's spinning. Any ideas?

I found the user's manual and the engine manual at MTD's web site (they
apparently made the mower around '92 or '93) along with parts lists and all
the parts but I can't find a belt routing diagram. The manual shows the
pulley in and exploded view with lines and arrows pointing here to there but
it's not very clear. I also have an old Craftsman LT4000 riding mower and
it has two belt diagrams permantly affixed under the mower.

So does anyone happen to have one of these mowers and can tell me exactly
where the idler pulley for the front belt is supposed to go? I found an old
Yahoo Group for this mower but it seems to be defunct.

Old 19-04-2014, 01:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sunday, May 17, 2009 6:43:34 PM UTC-4, Ulysses wrote:
[...]

i am having same issue no brakes or clutch i think it has to do with belt