Old 28-05-2009, 10:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Leveling a wavy lawn

I live in the FL panhandle. My lawn is nice and green, and healthy looking,
especially after 7 or 8 weeks of drenching rain. This place is over 50 years
old, and after replacing sewer lines, removing trees and big shrubs, etc.,
over all that time, it's quite wavy and has several hollows where bushes
used to reside. Nothing seems to have been backfilled properly. The lawn is
almost 100% Centipede grass.

I'd like to fill in the low areas with topsoil and need some advice on how
to proceed. Can I just spread it over the existing grass or should I remove
the sod first? Or - remove the sod, spread the soil and use the removed sod
to get the newly bare areas started? That's really a lot more work than I'd
like to create, but advice and hints will be greatly appreciated. TIA

P.S.
Does anyone have any experience with Centipede grass seed?

Old 29-05-2009, 08:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

When I was a small child we lived in the New Orleans area. I remember an
annual ritual of having fill dirt delivered and my dad spreading on the
low spots right on top of the grass.

That is what he did, but I can't swear he knew what he was doing.

John

--
John Mayson
Austin, Texas, USA
Old 29-05-2009, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Mayson wrote:
When I was a small child we lived in the New Orleans area. I remember an
annual ritual of having fill dirt delivered and my dad spreading on the
low spots right on top of the grass.

That is what he did, but I can't swear he knew what he was doing.

John

Good memory, John.

Did he roll it too?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 30-05-2009, 04:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 29 May 2009, Steve wrote:

Good memory, John.

I remember the strangest things. Actually I remember few things from that
era, but the fill dirt is something I remember vividly.

Did he roll it too?

I don't recall.

BTW, I grew up in Tampa and we NEVER did this there.

John

--
John Mayson
Austin, Texas, USA
Old 30-05-2009, 04:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John Mayson wrote:
On Fri, 29 May 2009, Steve wrote:

Good memory, John.

I remember the strangest things. Actually I remember few things from
that era, but the fill dirt is something I remember vividly.

Did he roll it too?

I don't recall.

BTW, I grew up in Tampa and we NEVER did this there.

John

I still get requests for rolling, and from the same people I sell aeration
to. That's a strange combo.

I remember my dad pushing one of those concrete rollers over our front lawn
back in the 60's in order to have it as flat as a pool table, he didn't
really care about the weeds so much as long as it was flat!

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

problem leveling my lawn drazen Lawns 1 26-03-2006 03:46 PM
question about leveling a lawn George.com United Kingdom 3 22-03-2006 09:02 PM
ping wavy g. Anonymouse Gardening 4 03-02-2005 02:43 AM
Leveling a bumpy yard/lawn in DFW, Texas PK Lawns 10 14-10-2004 02:39 AM
Leveling lawn? William W. Plummer Lawns 8 29-06-2004 01:03 PM