Old 31-05-2009, 12:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Help - Lawn problem

Hi All,

My lawn used to look nice and green. But now it has yellow patchy all over,
I think it's from my neighbor's dog's uline.
I try to water it more often and put on some fertilizer & Ironite, but it
still did not help. What should I do to fix this?
and how do I stop my neighbor's dog from peeing in my yard? any solutions?
TIA

Old 31-05-2009, 02:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 5/30/2009 7:00 PM (ET) Paul wrote the following:
Hi All,

My lawn used to look nice and green. But now it has yellow patchy all over,
I think it's from my neighbor's dog's uline.
I try to water it more often and put on some fertilizer & Ironite, but it
still did not help. What should I do to fix this?
and how do I stop my neighbor's dog from peeing in my yard? any solutions?
TIA

Fences or bushes along the property line.
Some others will probably offer solutions that will result in the death
of the dog.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 31-05-2009, 02:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 31, 9:04*am, willshak wrote:
on 5/30/2009 7:00 PM (ET) Paul wrote the following:

Hi All,

My lawn used to look nice and green. *But now it has yellow patchy all over,
I think it's from my neighbor's dog's uline.
I try to water it more often and put on some fertilizer & Ironite, but it
still did not help. *What should I do to fix this?

The real question here is whether it is in fact being caused by dog
urine. I've seen people blame dead spots on everything from the
neighbor's dog to lawn guys spilling gas on the grass. Unless you
have good reason to believe it's really the dog, I'd suggest getting
an expert opinion. Don't know where u live, but in many areas there
county agricultural agencies that offer free advice if you take them a
sample of your grass. Those spots could be disease, fungus, insect
damage..... And if it's fungus, for example, adding nitrogen and
excess water is just going to make it worse.

Old 31-05-2009, 04:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Hi All,

My lawn used to look nice and green. But now it has yellow patchy all

over,
I think it's from my neighbor's dog's uline.
I try to water it more often and put on some fertilizer & Ironite, but it
still did not help. What should I do to fix this?
and how do I stop my neighbor's dog from peeing in my yard? any

solutions?
TIA

I had a problem with cats and connected a relay to my motion-detector light
which I used to activate my automatic sprinklers. Every time the cat would
go on the grass the sprinklers came on for a few minutes. No more cats.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks for the response. I like the motion detector light ideas from
Ulysses. But how do you
get it to work during the day? I thought the motion detector light only
turn on at night. By the way
I live in San Dimas, California.

Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Thanks for the response. I like the motion detector light ideas from
Ulysses. But how do you
get it to work during the day? I thought the motion detector light only
turn on at night. By the way
I live in San Dimas, California.

Most have a photocell to keep the light off durning the day. Guess that if
it is light enough to see you do not need to have the motion detector light
come on.

Just tape over the photocell so it thinks it is dark all the time.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ralph, If I taped the photocell, then my sprinkler will get turned on all
day instead of only when it detecting the dog,
Beside the motion detecter idea I doubt that it's going to work for this
purpose because whenever people walk
by it will get turned on too.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Ralph, If I taped the photocell, then my sprinkler will get turned on all
day instead of only when it detecting the dog,
Beside the motion detecter idea I doubt that it's going to work for this
purpose because whenever people walk
by it will get turned on too.

The motion detectors have a photocell to detect the light and a motion
detector to detect hot moving objects.

Time to have a talk with the neighbors about their animals. If no response
from them, then animal control or traps.

Old 15-06-2009, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Paul" wrote in message
Thanks for the response. I like the motion detector light ideas from
Ulysses. But how do you
get it to work during the day? I thought the motion detector light

only
turn on at night. By the way
I live in San Dimas, California.

Most have a photocell to keep the light off durning the day. Guess that
if it is light enough to see you do not need to have the motion detector
light come on.

Just tape over the photocell so it thinks it is dark all the time.

It's been quite a few years since I did it but as Ralph pointed out I
probably taped over the photo cell or only needed to use it at night. The
sensitivity of those typical motion-detector spotlights is adjustable and
so is the angle of field of "vision." I probably did something like use my
sprinkler timer to have it on only during certain hours. Besides, even if
my sprinklers DID turn on when someone walked by during the day nobody was
going to get wet. The mailman could even get to the mailbox by the front
door.

Anyway, just an idea that worked for me and I already had all the stuff to
do it.

Old 16-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Registered User

The only solution I found is diluting the urine. IF you see a female dog doing the business quickly get a hose! I think male dog's are fine though?

How does your neighbours dog get in?
Old 22-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Hi All, My lawn used to look nice and green. But now it has yellow patchy all over, I think it's from my neighbor's dog's uline.
I try to water it more often and put on some fertilizer & Ironite, but it
still did not help. What should I do to fix this? and how do I stop my neighbor's dog from peeing in my yard? any solutions? TIA
I don't think the dogs are to be blamed on this. I would like to believe that it has something to do about the weather. Have you noticed this all-year round?