Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Avocado plant drying out

Last summer I germinated an avocado plant, it did Ok through the winter
but now is drying out from low humidity. I've been spraying tap water on
it but it's turning the leaves yellow like the minerals in the water is
hurting the leaves.

I plan to start using distilled water to spray on the leaves, but I was
wondering if there is something I can put on the leaves or spray on to
keep it hydrated better?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
New Avocado grower

Old 07-06-2009, 03:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"New Avocado grower" wrote in message
Last summer I germinated an avocado plant, it did Ok through the winter
but now is drying out from low humidity. I've been spraying tap water on
it but it's turning the leaves yellow like the minerals in the water is
hurting the leaves.

I plan to start using distilled water to spray on the leaves, but I was
wondering if there is something I can put on the leaves or spray on to
keep it hydrated better?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
New Avocado grower

The only tip I can offer is that I've been told that avacado trees need very
well-drained soil and that the soil should be thoroughly saturated
periodically to help wash away any accumulated salts and minerals. I don't
see why the leaves would need extra moisture as avacado trees seem to thrive
nearby where I live and the humidity is very low here.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ulysses wrote:
[...]

It has been getting to much water. Today I transplanted into a bigger
pot and found it was soaking wet. I had been judging the amount of water
it had based on how the soil felt at the top and how heavy the pot felt
before and after watering. I was shocked at how wet it is. I put it
outside under a shade tree and didn't add any water after transplanting.
I'm glad you mentioned it needed well drained soil, it motivated me to
transplant it.

I also put a bamboo plant out there to see if it does better.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

New Avocado grower wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
[...]

Another reason I thought it needed water is it would droop like it was
about to die and water made it perk up.

I ordered a moisture meter yesterday.

Avocado won't survive the winter outside around here.

Thanks
New Avocado grower

Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

New Avocado grower wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
[...]

Rats ate my avacado tree a couple of days ago. I had a tree planted a
couple of years ago and when it got down below 25 degrees F it died.

Drying out Chinese elm? coykiesaol Bonsai 0 10-05-2011 08:35 AM
Avocado Plant David DeMar Gardening 6 03-06-2008 11:26 PM
Drying Out Potted Plants Just Asking[_2_] Gardening 6 25-02-2007 11:09 PM
Drying Out My Yard John Gehlsen Gardening 4 18-04-2003 07:20 AM
Avocado Plant problems Jeff Walther Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:08 AM