Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Is there really such a thing as temorary grass

Is there really such a thing as temorary grass? I was at the store
and the cheapest bag of grass seed was called iirc Temporary Grass.

I didn't have my glasses with me, but I think they implied, it would
start to grow quickly but would die off later. Is there really grass
that won't grow for years and years and years, if the conditions are
okay? Or are they just leading people to believe that?

It was 3 dollars more for a similar sized bag of hot-shot grass seed,
so I bought that. Did they trick me?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

mm said:

Is there really such a thing as temorary grass? I was at the store
and the cheapest bag of grass seed was called iirc Temporary Grass.

I didn't have my glasses with me, but I think they implied, it would
start to grow quickly but would die off later. Is there really grass
that won't grow for years and years and years, if the conditions are
okay? Or are they just leading people to believe that?

Do you not understand the difference between an annual and a perennial?

It was 3 dollars more for a similar sized bag of hot-shot grass seed,
so I bought that. Did they trick me?

WTF is "hot-shot grass seed"?
--

Eggs

How can there be self-help "groups"?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 8, 10:40*pm, mm wrote:
Is there really such a thing as temorary grass? * I was at the store
and the cheapest bag of grass seed was called iirc Temporary Grass. *

I didn't have my glasses with me, but I think they implied, it would
start to grow quickly but would die off later. * Is there really grass
that won't grow for years and years and years, if the conditions are
okay? *Or are they just leading people to believe that?

It was 3 dollars more for a similar sized bag of hot-shot grass seed,
so I bought that. Did they trick me?

I don;t think they tricked you, but we have no way of knowing if you
got what you wanted or need. If you read what was in that bag of
"temporary" grass, I'll bet it was annual rye grass, which is
typically used for applications like fast temporary errosion
control. It can also be planted at the same time as some other
desired grass, which is slower growing, giving green while the other
grass gets established.

Being annual, as long as you keep it cut before it goes to seed, it
gets eliminated.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 06:14:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Jun 8, 10:40*pm, mm wrote:
Is there really such a thing as temorary grass? * I was at the store
and the cheapest bag of grass seed was called iirc Temporary Grass. *

I didn't have my glasses with me, but I think they implied, it would
start to grow quickly but would die off later. * Is there really grass
that won't grow for years and years and years, if the conditions are
okay? *Or are they just leading people to believe that?

It was 3 dollars more for a similar sized bag of hot-shot grass seed,
so I bought that. Did they trick me?

I don;t think they tricked you, but we have no way of knowing if you
got what you wanted or need.

That doesn't matter.

If you read what was in that bag of
"temporary" grass, I'll bet it was annual rye grass, which is
typically used for applications like fast temporary errosion
control. It can also be planted at the same time as some other
desired grass, which is slower growing, giving green while the other
grass gets established.

Being annual, as long as you keep it cut before it goes to seed, it
gets eliminated.

OK. If there is a grass that is annual, I suppose that's what was in
that bag and it would be temporary. Since I didn't have my glasses,
I'm glad that word was in big print. Thanks.

I guess I should have spelled it hotshot, without a hyphen. By
"hot-shot" I meant one that was not weak or defective, the kind they
said would grow forever, or at least didn't say it wouldn't, like
temporary grass. This bag would have been double hot-shot because it
said each seed was coated with something that retained water. From
this definition for a hotshot person, but broadened to apply to grass:
highly successful and aggressive: a hotshot lawyer; a hotshot account
exec.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 8, 10:40*pm, mm wrote:
Is there really such a thing as temorary grass? * I was at the store
and the cheapest bag of grass seed was called iirc Temporary Grass. *

I didn't have my glasses with me, but I think they implied, it would
start to grow quickly but would die off later. * Is there really grass
that won't grow for years and years and years, if the conditions are
okay? *Or are they just leading people to believe that?

It was 3 dollars more for a similar sized bag of hot-shot grass seed,
so I bought that. Did they trick me?

I don;t think they tricked you, but we have no way of knowing if you
got what you wanted or need.

That doesn't matter.

How so?

If you read what was in that bag of
"temporary" grass, I'll bet it was annual rye grass, which is
typically used for applications like fast temporary errosion
control. It can also be planted at the same time as some other
desired grass, which is slower growing, giving green while the other
grass gets established.

Being annual, as long as you keep it cut before it goes to seed, it
gets eliminated.

OK. If there is a grass that is annual, I suppose that's what was in
that bag and it would be temporary. Since I didn't have my glasses,
I'm glad that word was in big print. Thanks.

I guess I should have spelled it hotshot, without a hyphen.

Is that how it was spelled on the bag? Or, are you just making up your own
little names for products (like: Temporary Grass)?

By
"hot-shot" I meant one that was not weak or defective, the kind they
said would grow forever,

It said /that/ on the bag, too?

or at least didn't say it wouldn't,

Now you're reading print on the label, that isn't even there?

like
temporary grass. This bag would have been double hot-shot because it
said each seed was coated with something that retained water.

So, the bag never really called the product "hot-shot" or "double hot-shot"
(nor was the other bag called "Temporary Grass"). It's just some pet name
you made up because you saw some bag of Wondergrass, and bought right into
it, rather than trying to find out exactly what was in it? Would you
/really/ scatter a product all over your yard, when you don't even know
what it is? And, for that matter, why are they going to so much trouble to
hide from you just what is in that bag? Infomercials were designed with
people /just/ like you in mind. =)

From
this definition for a hotshot person, but broadened to apply to grass:

What dictionary broadens the definition of a hotshot person to apply to
grass?

highly successful and aggressive: a hotshot lawyer; a hotshot account
exec.

If it didn't list the different species of grass on the bag, and the
percentages of each type, I wouldn't have even considered picking one up.
--

Eggs

DEATH to all fanatics!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 09 Jun 2009 22:58:31 GMT, Steve wrote:

mm wrote:
From
this definition for a hotshot person, but broadened to apply to grass:
highly successful and aggressive: a hotshot lawyer; a hotshot account
exec.

Grass seed on steroids?

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/u...ect250x250.jpg :-P

That's perfect. Just what I need.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 8, 10:40*pm, mm wrote:
Is there really such a thing as temorary grass? * I was at the store
and the cheapest bag of grass seed was called iirc Temporary Grass. *

I didn't have my glasses with me, but I think they implied, it would
start to grow quickly but would die off later. * Is there really grass
that won't grow for years and years and years, if the conditions are
okay? *Or are they just leading people to believe that?

It was 3 dollars more for a similar sized bag of hot-shot grass seed,
so I bought that. Did they trick me?

I don;t think they tricked you, but we have no way of knowing if you
got what you wanted or need.

That doesn't matter.

How so?

I only had two choices and if one is really temporary, then I don't
want that one.

If you read what was in that bag of
"temporary" grass, I'll bet it was annual rye grass, which is
typically used for applications like fast temporary errosion
control. It can also be planted at the same time as some other
desired grass, which is slower growing, giving green while the other
grass gets established.

Being annual, as long as you keep it cut before it goes to seed, it
gets eliminated.

OK. If there is a grass that is annual, I suppose that's what was in
that bag and it would be temporary. Since I didn't have my glasses,
I'm glad that word was in big print. Thanks.

I guess I should have spelled it hotshot, without a hyphen.

Is that how it was spelled on the bag? Or, are you just making up your own
little names for products (like: Temporary Grass)?

If it were on the bag, I probably would have put it in quotes or
capitalized it, as I did Temporary Grass, which is what was written
iirc on the bag. But hot-shot was my own word.

[...]

I broadened it. If I get really good at this, I plan to become a
ryter.

highly successful and aggressive: a hotshot lawyer; a hotshot account
exec.

If it didn't list the different species of grass on the bag, and the
percentages of each type, I wouldn't have even considered picking one up.

Ir did, on both bags, but I wouldn't know what's temporary and what
isn't.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered User

I assumption I should accept spelled it hotshot, after a hyphen. By "hot-shot" I meant one that was not anemic or defective, the affectionate they said would abound forever, or at atomic didn't say it wouldn't, like temporary grass.
T-5 Grow Lights