Old 13-06-2009, 01:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Jug of weed and feed has solidified rock-hard on the bottom - is itstill good?

I've got 3 or 4 of those 1-gallon jugs of weed and feed (the kind
hose-end sprayer kind of jug) that I bought last fall. I notice that a
white crystalline residue has precipitated out and formed a layer about
an inch thick on the bottom of the jug. It's almost rock-hard. The
jugs have been stored in my garage, but the temp in my garage doesn't go
below 45f in the winter.

I don't know if this precipitation started before or after I bought
them.

At any rate, has this weed'n'feed product gone bad, or is it just a
matter of mixing / pulverizing the precipitate back into solution to
restore it's applicability?
Old 13-06-2009, 01:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Lawn Guy wrote:
I've got 3 or 4 of those 1-gallon jugs of weed and feed (the kind
hose-end sprayer kind of jug) that I bought last fall. I notice that a
white crystalline residue has precipitated out and formed a layer about
an inch thick on the bottom of the jug. It's almost rock-hard. The
jugs have been stored in my garage, but the temp in my garage doesn't go
below 45f in the winter.

I don't know if this precipitation started before or after I bought
them.

At any rate, has this weed'n'feed product gone bad, or is it just a
matter of mixing / pulverizing the precipitate back into solution to
restore it's applicability?

That might work, be sure to shield yourself from the splash while you're
mixing it, especially your eyes.

It won't hurt anything anymore than usual unless you over apply it and it
serves the 'what do I do with it now' question too. Use it up after you mix
it up, carefully..

ps, try it on a test area out back behind the shed first, wait two weeks
and then proceed accordingly.
Old 16-06-2009, 12:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 12, 8:04*pm, Lawn Guy wrote:
I've got 3 or 4 of those 1-gallon jugs of weed and feed (the kind
hose-end sprayer kind of jug) that I bought last fall. *I notice that a
white crystalline residue has precipitated out and formed a layer about
an inch thick on the bottom of the jug. *It's almost rock-hard. *The
jugs have been stored in my garage, but the temp in my garage doesn't go
below 45f in the winter.

I don't know if this precipitation started before or after I bought
them.

At any rate, has this weed'n'feed product gone bad, or is it just a
matter of mixing / pulverizing the precipitate back into solution to
restore it's applicability?

I would probably try immersing the jugs in a hot water bath and
aggitating to redissolve the crystals.
Sounds like the stuff is OK but crystals percipitated due to the low
temperature. Freezing is not necessary to cause precipitation so next
time you might want to store these at room temperature.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 12, 8:45*pm, Steve wrote:
Lawn Guy wrote:
[...]

moparholic is Roger Nair of Winter Brook Dr. in Brunswick, Ohio...just
in case you did not know.