Old 08-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Registered User

Default Fungus-seaweed-algae

Hi, this issue is driving me a little nuts and as i do not have green fingers I have joined this group and hopefully have posted in the right forum.

The previous owners of our house laid down an area of hardcore (stones, earth, around 10mx10m) and over time some grass, weeds, earth have accumulated. From our first year we have had this algae/seaweed 'growing' on top of the area. It has a slimy texture, green, cresent shaped nodules growing in bunches that join to form mats over the whole area. None of our neighbours have it with similar terrain/drainage issues.

It does not grow on the 'grassed' areas but on mud, mosses, stone areas.

We usually scrap it up in shovels (unfortunately the hardcore is porous and difficult to brush/scrap) and we have thought about putting down bleach. Bleach certainly kills it but obviously not a good solution, but no water course near to us. Also we would prefer a solution that inhibits regrowth.

Firstly: What is it? And what can we do to get rid of it?

Many thanks
Grape