Old 15-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Registered User

Default Renovating lawn without chemicals

Hi --
I'm a horticulturist in the United States, and I'm interested in converting my lawn to a type of turf that requires less mowing (a mixture of fine and hard fescues). The usual method to accomplish that on this side of the Atlantic is to first kill the existing turf with an application of glyphosate, wait a couple of weeks, and then use a slit seeder to plant the new grass seed right through the dead turf. Howevver, I would like to avoid the use of glyphosate, if possible. I'm wondering if I could simply use a stone burier on the existing turf and then plant right away. Would the buried grass re-emerge to compete with the fescues? Stone buriers are a new kind of technology in the United States and I cannot find anyone who has used them for this purpose. I understand, though, that they have been in use in Britain for some time. Has anyone connected with this forum used a stone burier for lawn renovation?
Old 16-12-2009, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

CTTom wrote:
[...]

I find it hard to believe that a horticulturist would have to ask if
buried grass will re-emerge.

Buried grass WILL re-emerge if you don't kill it, that's just common sense.

Just exactly what do you think a stone burier is going to do differently
that would magically prevent the grass from trying to survive?

Me thinks you may be trolling or setting us up for spam about stone
buriers... Time will tell.

--
Art
Old 16-12-2009, 03:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

CTTom wrote:

I'm wondering if I could simply use a stone burier on the existing
turf and then plant right away.

WTF is a "stone burier" ?
Old 18-12-2009, 12:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Lawn Guy wrote:
CTTom wrote:

I'm wondering if I could simply use a stone burier on the existing
turf and then plant right away.

WTF is a "stone burier" ?

Is your Google broken?
I suspect you just swallowed the hook and asked this "horticulturist" to
spam the group.

--
Art
Old 18-12-2009, 06:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:

WTF is a "stone burier" ?

Is your Google broken?

No, my google isin't broken - and neither is my usenet.

Is there a new rule that says that you can't ask questions anymore on
usenet?

I suspect you just swallowed the hook and asked this
"horticulturist" to spam the group.

Hmmm. ok.

So where's the spam?

Give me a call when it starts.

Still waiting for an explanation for a stone burier.

Old 18-12-2009, 11:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

CTTom said:

Hi --
I'm a horticulturist in the United States, and I'm interested in
converting my lawn to a type of turf that requires less mowing (a
mixture of fine and hard fescues). The usual method to accomplish that
on this side of the Atlantic is to first kill the existing turf with an
application of glyphosate, wait a couple of weeks, and then use a slit
seeder to plant the new grass seed right through the dead turf.
Howevver, I would like to avoid the use of glyphosate, if possible. I'm
wondering if I could simply use a stone burier on the existing turf and
then plant right away. Would the buried grass re-emerge to compete with
the fescues?

Lots of weeds would emerge to compete with your fescues as thousands
of buried seeds are exposed to light, along with the possibility of some
of the undesired grass surviving the process.

I can't imagine why you think it would be better to break up and violently
churn your soil than to use what would be a very small amount of a very
much targeted chemical.

*Renovating* a lawn without chemicals would involve improving it using
top-dressing, overseeding, hand-weeding and organic fertilizers.

You are looking to start from scratch, and trying to choose between
methods of destruction.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 18-12-2009, 06:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Lawn Guy" wrote in message ...
Art wrote:

WTF is a "stone burier" ?

Is your Google broken?

No, my google isin't broken - and neither is my usenet.

Is there a new rule that says that you can't ask questions anymore on
usenet?

I suspect you just swallowed the hook and asked this
"horticulturist" to spam the group.

Hmmm. ok.

So where's the spam?

Give me a call when it starts.

Still waiting for an explanation for a stone burier.

http://www.stoneburier.com/

A machine that is pulled by a tractor. It looks to be about 5 feet wide.
Tills up the soil and levels it out.
6 ACTIONS - 1 MACHINE - 1 PASS

Cultivates to a depth of 200mm
Buries stones clods, grass and debris.
Creates a fine soil surface for accurate seed depth.
Levels and finishes the surface.
Seeds at exact rates.
Finishes by rolling firm.

Old 18-12-2009, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Lawn Guy wrote:
Art wrote:

WTF is a "stone burier" ?

Is your Google broken?

No, my google isin't broken - and neither is my usenet.

Then you're just to stupid to do a search?

Is there a new rule that says that you can't ask questions anymore on
usenet?

No, you can ask all the stupid questions you want.

--
Art

Old 18-12-2009, 11:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:

WTF is a "stone burier" ?
Is your Google broken?

No, my google isin't broken - and neither is my usenet.

Then you're just to stupid to do a search?

So you think that someone who's been reading and posting to usenet for
over 20 years is stupid when it comes to knowing how to find
information?

No, you can ask all the stupid questions you want.

And you can be a complete asshole and post useless responses all you
want.
Old 19-12-2009, 12:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ralph Mowery wrote:

Still waiting for an explanation for a stone burier.

http://www.stoneburier.com/

A machine that is pulled by a tractor. It looks to be about 5
feet wide. Tills up the soil and levels it out.
6 ACTIONS - 1 MACHINE - 1 PASS
Cultivates to a depth of 200mm
Buries stones clods, grass and debris.

Technically, it doesn't have to be pulled by a tractor, and doesn't have
to be 5 feet wide.

The defining characteristic seems to be that it scrapes and pulverizes
the first few inches of the soil, sort of like the way a cheese grater
works. Quite a bit different than a roto-tiller or disc tiller.

They come in a variety of sizes, from walk behind (or infront) to
tractor attached.

Like the scarifier, this is an example of a yard product that is not
very common for home or light commercial use in North America, but seems
to be more common in the UK.

Seems primarily designed for turf removal for preparing new lawns or
garden plots. The term "stone burier" is somewhat odd given what it
does and how it operates and the desired result. It would be more
appropriate to call it a soil grader or turf planer.

Now tell me where I could find a concise explanation like that on
google.

Old 19-12-2009, 12:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Lawn Guy" wrote in message ...
Ralph Mowery wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with Art. You are too stupid to use Google. I gave a quick
explination that was copied and pasted from their website. YOu did not seem
to know what one was and now you want to pick apart the quick explination.

I posted this link at the top of the message I sent:

http://www.stoneburier.com/

I found it on Google along with several videos on the first page.

Old 19-12-2009, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Lawn Guy" wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote:

[...]

Perhaps a similar machine is available in a size that would do a 1/4 acre
lawn. The machine shown at the linked wesite seems to be more suited to
atheletic fields and golf courses.
It looks like the perfect way to spread the seeds and rhizomes of
undesirable plants.
I had a friend go over my lawn with a "rockhound" that removes rocks, roots,
clumps etc. The resulting lawn looked good for 3 years.

Old 19-12-2009, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:40:00 -0500, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

You are looking to start from scratch, and trying to choose between
methods of destruction.

Burn it!

http://www.flameengineering.com/Red_...e_Torch_K.html

Made in the U.S.A.

Old 19-12-2009, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Ralph Mowery full-quoted:

Still waiting for an explanation for a stone burier.

http://www.stoneburier.com/

Technically, it doesn't have to be pulled by a tractor, and
doesn't have to be 5 feet wide.

The defining characteristic seems to be that it scrapes and
pulverizes the first few inches of the soil, sort of like
the way a cheese grater works.

They come in a variety of sizes, from walk behind (or infront)
to tractor attached.

I have to agree with Art. You are too stupid to use Google.

And you are too stupid to realize that I must have used a search engine
to post the explanation that I quoted above.

I gave a quick explination that was copied and pasted from
their website.

I never said you didn't.

You did not seem to know what one was and now you want
to pick apart the quick explination.

You stated that it was a machine of a certain size and configuration.
Technically, that was wrong because these machines come in different
sizes and configurations.

So your explanation was incomplete and lacked some important details
which I added.

I posted this link at the top of the message I sent:

http://www.stoneburier.com/

Yes I know, I quoted it in my reply. Why did you feel it was important
to tell me this a second time?

I found it on Google along with several videos on the
first page.

Wow - you deserve a gold star for that.
Old 19-12-2009, 08:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Lawn Guy wrote:
Art wrote:

WTF is a "stone burier" ?
Is your Google broken?
No, my google isin't broken - and neither is my usenet.

Then you're just to stupid to do a search?

So you think that someone who's been reading and posting to usenet for
over 20 years is stupid when it comes to knowing how to find
information?

It's not about what I think, it's about what you are proving.

No, you can ask all the stupid questions you want.

And you can be a complete asshole and post useless responses all you
want.

Yep.

--
Art