Old 24-02-2003, 02:15 AM
Steven Kolak

Default Anyone recommend Craftsman 6.5HP lawnmower (37836)

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the following Craftsman lawnmower model? I could
not find reviews of this model anywhere on the web/Usenet. I saw it
advertised in the Sears sales flyer this week for $259.99. Is this a
good price? Does this model or a similar one come on sale for less?

Below is the description from the Sears website.

Please send all replies to this bulletin board as I am having trouble
with my email.

Thanks!
Steve

==================

Craftsman 6.5 hp 21 in. Deck Rear Bag Mower (Model #37836)
6.5 horsepower Briggs & Stratton 1 engine is ready
for any yard job. Single speed front wheel gear drive
system propels the mower so it does the work, not you.

-- Front wheel drive single speed
-- 21 in. high tunnel rear bag propelled
-- 21 in. rear bag, mulch ready
-- Durable, maintenance free transmission
-- Optional side discharge chipping deflector available
-- Folding handle means you need less room for storage
-- Factory installed mulching system can be changed from
bagging to mulching with no tools
-- California compliant
Old 24-02-2003, 03:28 AM
Judy and Dave G

"Steven Kolak" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Can anyone recommend the following Craftsman lawnmower model? I could
not find reviews of this model anywhere on the web/Usenet. I saw it
advertised in the Sears sales flyer this week for $259.99. Is this a
good price? Does this model or a similar one come on sale for less?

Below is the description from the Sears website.

Please send all replies to this bulletin board as I am having trouble
with my email.

Thanks!
Steve

==================

Craftsman 6.5 hp 21 in. Deck Rear Bag Mower (Model #37836)
6.5 horsepower Briggs & Stratton 1 engine is ready
for any yard job. Single speed front wheel gear drive
system propels the mower so it does the work, not you.

-- Front wheel drive single speed

Are you going to be mowing going up a hill? With the front wheel drive you
need to lift the back 2 wheels to get it to propel. With the rear wheel
drive the weight is already on the rear wheels.

Judy

Old 24-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Steven Kolak

Hi Judy,

Fortunately, it will be used only on flat surfaces. I just heard the
same recommendation from a friend of mine about the front vs. rear
drive.

Do you have this Craftsman model?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 25-02-2003, 04:16 AM
Tim Fischer

You'll probably ignore my advice grin but PLEASE stay away from Crapsman.
Do a newsgroup search on Craftsman Mowers and see what you come up with for
advice.

I had a self-propelled Crapsman walk-behind that lasted 2 1/2 seasons before
the transmission failed. Cost new: $350. Cost for PARTS (not labor) to
fix: $299. I junked it and bought a Honda Harmony, for $650. Money VERY
well spent. I also now have a John Deere lawn tractor since we moved to a
bigger property.

So, if you like replacing your mower every 2-4 years, by all means by the
Sears. If you want something that will last, spend a little more and get a
Honda, John Deere, or Toro. It will last you a dozen years or more.

-Tim

Old 25-02-2003, 12:15 PM
Brigitte J.

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
.net...
You'll probably ignore my advice grin but PLEASE stay away from

Crapsman.
Do a newsgroup search on Craftsman Mowers and see what you come up with

for
advice.

I had a self-propelled Crapsman walk-behind that lasted 2 1/2 seasons

before
the transmission failed. Cost new: $350. Cost for PARTS (not labor) to
fix: $299. I junked it and bought a Honda Harmony, for $650. Money VERY
well spent. I also now have a John Deere lawn tractor since we moved to a
bigger property.

So, if you like replacing your mower every 2-4 years, by all means by the
Sears. If you want something that will last, spend a little more and get

Honda, John Deere, or Toro. It will last you a dozen years or more.

-Tim

I had even more trouble with my Craftsman Self propelled. I also paid
350.00 and mine lasted only one season. It is now sitting in my backyard
waiting to be taken to the dump. It lasted one season. I have a rather
large yard, but it is flat, and I probably should have gotten a lawn tractor
instead, but I still believe the Craftsman should have lasted longer than
one season.

Brigitte

Old 25-02-2003, 09:53 PM
Al

I had a self-propelled Crapsman walk-behind that lasted 2 1/2 seasons before
the transmission failed. Cost new: $350. Cost for PARTS (not labor) to
fix: $299. I junked it and bought a Honda Harmony, for $650. Money VERY
well spent. I also now have a John Deere lawn tractor since we moved to a
bigger property.

So, if you like replacing your mower every 2-4 years, by all means by the
Sears. If you want something that will last, spend a little more and get a
Honda, John Deere, or Toro. It will last you a dozen years or more.

-Tim

I disagree entirely with what Tim has to say here. I have owned three
(3) Craftsman lawnmowers in the past forty years. When properly
maintained,each of these mowers lasted over ten years. I find that
John Deere is severly overpriced with extra bells and wistles that
most home owners don't need.

Al
Old 26-02-2003, 03:03 AM
Steven Kolak

Tim,

Thanks for the advice. In my opinion, too, the John Deere, Honda, and
Toro are exceptional brands and better than Craftsman, but you pay for
that in $$$, too, as you said. My one friend is going on year 15 with
his Toro.

I actually have had 5+ years good luck so far with a Craftsman 6hp
self-propelled at my mother's house, and another friend has gotten
many years out of his as well. Once in a while they require a few
strong pulls to start, but I am willing to throw the dice, per say.

You are right, I probably won't follow your advice grin!!, but
thanks for spending time giving it to me. If the mower fails in 1-10
years, I will know who told me so!

Steve

Old 26-02-2003, 05:39 AM

"Brigitte J." wrote:
[...]

Did you return it? Sears is pretty forgiving in the first year.

--
Zl Arjfernqre vf orggre guna lbhef! (Rot-13)

--
Tb# 40 42 12
Old 26-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Tim Fischer

"Al" wrote in message
om...
I disagree entirely with what Tim has to say here. I have owned three
(3) Craftsman lawnmowers in the past forty years. When properly
maintained,each of these mowers lasted over ten years.

I'd be interested in your pointers on how I failed to properly maintain my
mower to cause it to fail prematurely. Please advice the other poster with
similar experience as well.

-Tim

Old 26-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Tim Fischer

wrote in message
No shit..by the way..mtd makes cub cadet,and many others.

MTD does indeed make many others. They all suck, with the possible
exception of Cub Cadet, which I understand is a decent brand. It's also
priced in line with the other "decent" brands I listed, not in line with
MTD's crap brands.

-Tim

Old 27-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Judy and Dave G

Hi all.

I really don't like it when anyone jumps in a thread and runs off at the
mouth without giving background for their opinion. So here I go, over-doing
it again. If you don't want to know the history, just jump on down to my
opinion at the end. Less time, but not as much fun.

I have owned Craftsman mowers for 30 years now. No, really, 25 years. The
first 5 years were non-powered push mowers because that was all we could
afford for our little bit of grass. They all worked well, I could never
take a week off because they were broken. I just couldn't make those little
suckers break.

Then I met Craftsman. My husband is a Craftsman toolman. And has been for
40 years. So, of course, my first powered mower must also be a Craftsman.

As everyone here who takes pride in their lawn knows, it may be a woman or a
man, but usually one in the family does most of the mowing, and, therefore,
usually decides on the mower. So, this one checking in, is a female, if
that matters.

Anyway, when this thread started, and similar in another group, I thought I
was a staunch supporter of Craftsman.
And I have prepared a number of cutesy replies. Then I started to think
about it. The first Craftsman that I owned was a used one. Push mower. No
self propulsion, none needed, I was young. And it ran forever, and ever,
and ever. Then our lives changed a bit and we moved, up and out, so now we
had almost an acre, with a whole lot of ups and downs. In a neighborhood
that demanded weed control. And, being a bit older, I needed propulsion,
no, I needed a rider. So, back to Craftsman. (Somewhere in here I have to
comment on my absolute, undying fear of heights. One rung on a ladder is my
limit and only if I have someplace to hold on. I can only climb on a chair
that has a back to hold on to. OK, that said, I could not get on a riding
mower that made me feel like I was too high up in the air.) Craftsman brand
riders are pretty low, not sports car low, but lower than those 'other
brands'. So I got me a rider, Craftsman, 12 hp, 1985. I loved it, I used
it when the grass needed cut and I used it when I needed a breather. (I
ALWAYS buy a maintenance contract on any large purchase, Craftsman or
otherwise.) When I called to have my first end of the season maintenance,
the gentleman who did the work, well, he was surprised, said my mower had a
smaller engine that it was supposed to have. Hmmm. Oh well, it still was
running very well. And it continued to run, and I renewed the maintenance
each and every year. I did everything that I was supposed to. Then we
moved to the country. My hills were steeper and my drop offs were more
sudden and my acreage increased to 60. I realized the difference between
the fun ups and downs in a lawn and the drop off edges of gulleys and
streams. And the difference between KNOWING that my mower was not gonna
stop as I was mowing one of those hillsides that the mower manual said I
should never do. OK, the mower was 6 years old and the maintenance was more
than a new one. So I used a local handyman. The first time I took it in, I
paid over $600 because I told him to tear it down and rebuild it with new
parts. I needed to get 3 more years out of it. Sure no problem. Til I
tried to turn it on. Click. Took it back. Paid $150 more. Tried to turn
it on. Click. Then I was angry. They came and picked it up and repaired
it again, for nothing. (At least for those that cannot add.) Well, ****,
give in and get a new one. Bite the bullet. Husband said he would be more
comfortable if I had a larger engine on these hills. OK, back to Craftsman.
I got the 18 hp. that had shift on the go. Now, I explained to the salesman
about my hills and my need to increase my mowed area each year by a couple
acres. And he sold me his recommendation.

I burned up the transmission on that 18hp tank. It took me less than a
month. Call for service. Sure. No problem. As long as you can stop your
grass from growing for 3 more weeks. Maintenance guy said you should never
have bought this kind, lady. Well, duh, I was just following the
recommendation of their salesman. He said he was gonna recommend that Sears
give me a new rider, but without the automatic shift. No problem. Got my
new one 3 weeks later. Ran wonderful. For about a month. Shit. First the
brakes. Then the transmission. Then something kept starting on fire under
the front hood (where the motor is). Then the transmission again. Then it
just goes click. Then you have to jump around on the seat to get it to
start. Then the steering and front tires don't want to turn. Which of
course had to happen on the edge of a gulley. And the brake was on the
downhill side of the mower which was I was riding on the uphill fender, so I
couldn't use the brake. So I jumped off. They told me they had replaced
the whole drive, brakes, axles, tranny, the LAST time. Well, supposedly
they replaced it again. If I had not bought the maintenance contract, I
would have been even angrier.

So, I absolutely followed the recommended maintenance. And added in at
least 6 more visits per year. And that sucker isn't gonna make it to next
year. And I will never purchase another Craftsman mower as long as I live.
No matter what. Even if I have to get some goats. Never. And I feel
really guilty saying it. Like I need to go to confession. But, I need to
feel safe. I need an engine that I maintain better than recommended, to
start. For more than 2 weeks at a time.

I am thankful for these threads. Having to sit here and put it in writing.
Wow, talk about perspective.

My advice would be to NOT purchase a Craftsman. The quality that we grew to
expect in the 60s and 70s and 80s is no longer there. The mentality of the
craftsmen who maintained our machines has also gone the way of the auto
mechanic that could fix your car by the sound.

I saw that Sam's Club has a Honda 5 hp self propelled (can't remember the
cut width) for $289.00. I would bet that that Honda will probably last
longer than the "new, improved, Craftsman" mower, regardless of its standing
on the price scale.

But this is just my opinion. HTH.

Judy

Old 27-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Dr. Doctor

well I will agree the trades (all trades and industries) have many
technicians(if you call them that) who don't know which end of the hammer to
hang on to, One shop I worked in the shop foreman (ok not really a foreman
but was there the longest some 20 odd years) could not figure out why a
lawn tractor he was trying to push in the shop would not move, the brake
was on and this was the guy who was supose to run the shop??? But there are
some good techs out there. No matter where you look or in what industry
(from mechanics to bankers) there is more and more people out there who
don't have a clue unfortunately that is life. When you find someone who is
competent stick with them but please dont lable all of us as idiots.

Old 27-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Dr. Doctor

Ps just because a salesmen say something don't mean it is the truth, they
will lie to make a sale especially if they make a commission, If I am not
sure if the sales man (lady) is on commission I ask.

Old 27-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Judy and Dave G

"Dr. Doctor" wrote in message
well I will agree the trades (all trades and industries) have many
technicians(if you call them that) who don't know which end of the hammer

hang on to,

Absolutely. I unequivocally agree.

One shop I worked in the shop foreman (ok not really a foreman
but was there the longest some 20 odd years) could not figure out why a
lawn tractor he was trying to push in the shop would not move, the brake
was on and this was the guy who was supose to run the shop??? But there

are
some good techs out there. No matter where you look or in what industry
(from mechanics to bankers) there is more and more people out there who
don't have a clue unfortunately that is life. When you find someone who is
competent stick with them but please dont lable all of us as idiots.

No question. But explain to me why it seems that Sears just can't find
those who are competent? A real question. Do they pay like shit? No sick
or vacation benefits? Come on, what is it? Because I am willing to
complain to those who are responsible for the benefits that they need to be
better. My record with Sears gives me just a small wrench to stick in the
works. I just have to be sure where to stick it. ;0}

Judy