Old 06-03-2010, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Garden Tractor fuel gauge

You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 06-03-2010, 04:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak wrote:
You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel
left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

Hi,
Try to jury rig a metal ball(float).
Maybe out of an old carburetor or auto parts store may have something
like that for that reason. Some carbs used to have that problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak wrote:
You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel
left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

These aren't cheap but might be an alternative:
http://tinyurl.com/yasko9y
I didn't look for any deals. These are the first I found.
Maybe a motorcycle style petcock would work. They let one use most
of the fuel in the on position. Switching to reserve lets one know it's
time to refuel. An example he
http://tinyurl.com/yzqs3qn
If you look closely, you'll see "reserve" on the valve. Some have the
added feature of automatically shutting off the fuel once the engine is
stopped. The valves are opened by the engine vacuum.
This is the first of these I found with the markings easily visible.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
jim jim is offline

"willshak" wrote in message
m...
You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel
left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Try brushing some fiberglass resin over it....Jim

Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 6, 9:24*am, willshak wrote:
You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of *material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Get a brass float from an old carburetor at your local wrecking yard.
hey almost never leaked, and if they did were easily soldered shut
again.

Joe

Old 06-03-2010, 08:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 6, 10:24�am, willshak wrote:
You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of �material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Some of the first floats in carbs were made out of cork. Get ya bottle
of wine.

Hank ~~~thinks alcohol can fix many problems
Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Hustlin' Hank wrote the following:
[...]

That, or make it worse. :-)

Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Joe wrote:
[...]

If it's anything like I'm picturing it would need some serious
customization for a different float to work. I'm picturing the cap with
something that looks like a dip stick, but with it twisted not quite 360
degrees and it goes through a small slit opening in the float. When the
float goes up and down it turns the twisted dipstick which is attached
to the gauge needle. (there is a little more to it that keeps the float
from turning instead of the float turning the gauge) I don't know what
type of sealant would hold up floating in gasoline?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:38 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 6, 7:31*pm, Tony wrote:
Joe wrote:
[...]

type of sealant would hold up floating in gasoline?- Hide quoted text -

What this guy needs is a dip stick.

Jimmie
Old 07-03-2010, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

JIMMIE wrote the following:
On Mar 6, 7:31 pm, Tony wrote:

Joe wrote:

[...]

Nope. I can just look at the side of the tank to see the gas level, but
thanks anyway..

Old 07-03-2010, 12:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Tony wrote the following:
Joe wrote:
[...]

Exactly.
(there is a little more to it that keeps the float from turning
instead of the float turning the gauge)

The float has two indentations on opposite sides and rides up and down
on a U shaped rod attached to the fuel cap which keeps the float from
turning.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 10:24:45 -0500, willshak wrote:

You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel
left. These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float,
giving a less than correct fuel level.

The one on our old lawn tractor bounces around so much as to be pretty
useless anyway - maybe modern ones have a better setup and baffles in the
tank or something.

I've got quite good at knowing how far it'll run on a full tank - and
there is a slight change in engine note when it's about a minute away
from going dry, so I know to fill up again on the next run past the shed
where I keep the gas can.

Old 15-03-2010, 12:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

You know, the kind that has a solid plastic float that operates a flat
screw type axle to turn a needle in the cap showing the amount of fuel left.
These plastic floats seem to allow gas to permeate the float, giving a
less than correct fuel level.
I suppose I can buy a new cap/gauge/float assembly for this particular
tank, but that would only solve the problem for a while until that float
gets heavier.
I wonder if I can paint some sort of material on the float to make it
more resistant to permeation of the gas?
I know the material has to be non-soluble in gasoline.
Ideas??

Pretty much have to buy a new cap. If gas has already soaked into the
float, then no type of sealer is going to stick. Even if it did, it
would weigh down the float and give you a wrong reading, which is the
problem you are trying to solve. I dont see too many of theese type of
floats go bad, but it does happen, and no type of repair or jerry
rigging will fix it properly. Good Luck....Todd, Owner, Nuevo Lawn and
Garden Equipment Repair
Old 15-03-2010, 12:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

[...]

Probably.
I don't use it as a definite source of the fuel left, but I'd like to
know that it is getting low when I am at the far end of my property so I
don' t have to take a walk all the way back to the garage to get more fuel.
When I am emptying the clippings from the baskets in the compost heap at
the back of my property, I can check the level by eye, if I don't forget

Old 15-03-2010, 08:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mar 14, 8:49�pm, willshak wrote:

I don't use it as a definite source of the fuel left, but I'd like to
know that it is getting low when I am at the far end of my property so I
don' t have to take a walk all the way back to the garage to get more fuel.
When I am emptying the clippings from the baskets in the compost heap at
the back of my property, I can check the level by eye, if I don't forget

--

Bill

I know this probably sounds stupid to you, but have you ever thought
of filling the gas tank full before you start to mow? If you do this,
you will never run out of gas and will not need a gauge.

Hank ~~~wonders where all the logic in the world went