GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dollar weed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/190226-dollar-weed.html)

Shanghai McCoy[_5_] 19-03-2010 07:33 PM

Dollar weed

Any way to get rid of this stuff? It's taking over my back yard. I know
it loves over-watering , but I haven't even started watering yet. We
haven't had much sunshine either (NW Florida). Maybe that'll help dry
things up a bit...

Shanghai McCoy[_5_] 22-03-2010 08:49 PM

Dollar weed

On 3/22/2010 4:39 PM, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
Shanghai McCoy said:

Any way to get rid of this stuff? It's taking over my back yard. I know
it loves over-watering , but I haven't even started watering yet. We
haven't had much sunshine either (NW Florida). Maybe that'll help dry
things up a bit...

Because of your locale, are you *positive* it's /Hydrocotyle spp./ and NOT
/Dichondra/? If you look at the underside of the leaf, where does the stem
attach (center, or near the edge of the leaf)?

What type of turfgrass do you have?

Pretty sure it's Hydrocotyle spp - stem attaches to the center of the
leaf. Turf is St. Augustine.

Shanghai McCoy[_5_] 22-03-2010 09:28 PM

Dollar weed

Shanghai McCoy said:

Any way to get rid of this stuff? It's taking over my back yard. I know
it loves over-watering , but I haven't even started watering yet. We
haven't had much sunshine either (NW Florida). Maybe that'll help dry
things up a bit...

Because of your locale, are you *positive* it's /Hydrocotyle spp./ and NOT
/Dichondra/? If you look at the underside of the leaf, where does the stem
attach (center, or near the edge of the leaf)?

What type of turfgrass do you have?

Pretty sure it's Hydrocotyle spp - stem attaches to the center of the
leaf. Turf is St. Augustine.

2,4-D is out then. it'll kill your grass. Atrizine was the perferred quick kill
for /Hydrocotyle/ in St. Augustine turf, but it's been banned for homeowner's
use (though it's still used by commercial applicators).

Look for a product called "Image" (Imazaquin). It's not real speedy, but it's
safe on your particular turf (provided the grass is healthy and actively
growing), and it works.

Very good! Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Eggs Zachtly 22-03-2010 09:39 PM

Dollar weed

--

Eggs

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.

Eggs Zachtly 22-03-2010 10:10 PM

Dollar weed

Shanghai McCoy said:

[...]

-It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Eggs Zachtly 22-03-2010 11:14 PM

Dollar weed

Shanghai McCoy said:

[...]

No problem. Good luck!
--

Eggs

-Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

LSMFT 23-03-2010 12:56 PM

Dollar weed

On 03/19/2010 03:33 PM, Shanghai McCoy wrote:
Any way to get rid of this stuff? It's taking over my back yard. I know
it loves over-watering , but I haven't even started watering yet. We
haven't had much sunshine either (NW Florida). Maybe that'll help dry
things up a bit...

Just start rolling it and smoking it and the police will come and pull
it all up.

--
LSmFT

Drive a little slower than the posted speed.......
And you too can become a fracking prick.