Old 12-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Ground nesting bees?

Hi - new poster here.

Wonder if anyone can help. My front garden has seen a large number of small piles of earth form with a hole in the middle. There are probably about 50 of them at a conservative guess. The hole itself is about 6mm and like someone has used a drillbit, with the earth making a small mound about 3cm wide and a couple of cm tall. I've seen some very small "bee like" things around.

The front lawn has an apple tree in it, and the holes are in that area of the lawn.

So far the little things haven't caused me any harm - and while I don't want to kill them, I equally don't want an army of bees living under my lawn. There are also young kids that play out in my street as we're on a cul-de-sac and I'd hate for one to get stung.

Any advice or guidance would be gratefully received.

Apologies in advance if I've posted in the wrong section.

Mark.
Old 13-04-2010, 04:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Ground nesting bees?

imho
Get rid of the bees.. A good way is to lore Hummingbirds ie HB
feeders..
Old 13-04-2010, 12:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

markoc said:

[...]

Leave them alone. They are mining bees, possiblyly something like
Andrena flavipes (since you are posting from gardenbanter.co.uk).

They are not aggressive, and are interesting to watch. Each bee leads
a solitary life, though they do tend to nest in aggregations. Native
pollinators like mining bees should be encouraged rather than attacked.
In fact, many native pollinators are becoming increasingly rare and
are threatened with, or have actually become in danger of extinction.

Some info on various solitary bees, including mining bees (for the UK):

http://www.moraybeekeepers.co.uk/solitary_bees.htm
http://www.insectpix.net/solitary_bees_gallery.htm

(For North America):
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/7153.htm
http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/miningbees.html

Now, ground nesting colonial wasps (yellow jackets, genus Vespula)
are aa different story...although they are predators of many harmful
insects, they are very aggressive nest defenders and relentless stingers.
Any nests I find anywhere near the house, or any other part of the
garden where I regularly work, mow or walk gets eliminated.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored