Old 19-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered User

Default How to get rid of weed in grass

I've tried many times to pluck out the weed from newly growing grass --but after a while it keeps coming back and more. I would appriciate any suggestions.
Old 22-04-2010, 02:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
turkeyworld

Suggestions depend on what kind of grass it is and what kind of weed
it is. For most turf grass you can buy selective herbicides that
will kill broadleaf weeds and also some other weeds. For a typical
lawn you just apply it with a 2 gallon tank sprayer right to the
weed. Pulling the weeds is not only a pain, but to some extent
counter-productive. When you pull the weeds you bring soil to the
surface which is the perfect place for new weed seeds to get
established.

Make sure you read the label. Most of these products can only be
applied after the new grass is somewhat established, eg 3 mowings.
I'd probably wait 2 months, unless the weed problem is so extensive
it's going to prevent the grass from growing.
Old 23-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Registered User

A friend of mine had gave me and told me that the type of grass seeds he was giving to me to plant was the type that didn't need much attention and spread everywhere as it grows.

I didn't mind trying it being aggresive and less needed care. It's great to see that it has spread everywhere around the garden but near half is weed.

Your suggestion is easy to understand but under a large area and condition --I now feel that I should maybe just rip out the old and get a different one in.
Cheers,