Old 21-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered User

Default Strange plant/weed/fungus in garden

Hello, first post so please excuse me if i'm posting in the wrong forum.

I have just moved into a new house with my wife and daughters, we have a nice garden but its been a bit neglected over the years by the previous owner and whilst going over it my wife noticed we have an abundance of a strange plant that we dont recognise. It looks a bit mushroom like but its 'cap' is hard, and when mowing the lawn my wife said that it looked like it emited smoke or spores.
One of our main worries is for our young daughter who will be starting to use the garden in the summer and we want to know what this plant is, if its dangerous and how to get rid of it. Any help identifying it will be most appreciated.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of this mystery

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2010103sml.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...2010105sml.jpg
Old 22-04-2010, 11:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

HytestA said:

I have just moved into a new house with my wife and daughters, we have a
nice garden but its been a bit neglected over the years by the previous
owner and whilst going over it my wife noticed we have an abundance of a
strange plant that we dont recognise. It looks a bit mushroom like but
its 'cap' is hard, and when mowing the lawn my wife said that it looked
like it emited smoke or spores.

Yes, it is emitting spores. Equisetum (horsetail, scouring rush) are plants
that reproduce by spores rather than seeds. They are often referred to as
'living fossils' as they were the dominant type of land-plant hundreds of
millions of years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equisetum

One of our main worries is for our young daughter who will be starting
to use the garden in the summer and we want to know what this plant is,
if its dangerous and how to get rid of it. Any help identifying it will
be most appreciated.

It's not particularly dangerous for humans, though it can be toxic to
sheep and horses as a contaminant in hay.

The 'getting rid of it' is going to be very hard. The underground part of
the plant is wiry and tenacious and herbicides like Roundup not particularly
effective (it helps to bruise the horsetails before spraying).

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/hrsetail.htm

http://www.gardenguides.com/854-horsetail-weed.html

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 22-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kiewicz[_2_] View Post
HytestA said:

I have just moved into a new house with my wife and daughters, we have a
nice garden but its been a bit neglected over the years by the previous
owner and whilst going over it my wife noticed we have an abundance of a
strange plant that we dont recognise. It looks a bit mushroom like but
its 'cap' is hard, and when mowing the lawn my wife said that it looked
like it emited smoke or spores.

Yes, it is emitting spores. Equisetum (horsetail, scouring rush) are plants
that reproduce by spores rather than seeds. They are often referred to as
'living fossils' as they were the dominant type of land-plant hundreds of
millions of years ago.

Equisetum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of our main worries is for our young daughter who will be starting
to use the garden in the summer and we want to know what this plant is,
if its dangerous and how to get rid of it. Any help identifying it will
be most appreciated.

It's not particularly dangerous for humans, though it can be toxic to
sheep and horses as a contaminant in hay.

The 'getting rid of it' is going to be very hard. The underground part of
the plant is wiry and tenacious and herbicides like Roundup not particularly
effective (it helps to bruise the horsetails before spraying).

Horsetail - Equisetum

Horsetail Weed | Garden Guides

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored
Thank you Pat for your help, looks like im going to have fun removing this
Old 23-04-2010, 05:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
HytestA said:

[...]

I've had better luck with weed-b-gon than roundup on horsetail.

strange fungus in my indoor pots cupkiller Gardening 14 04-04-2011 11:40 AM
Strange looking fungus Tom or Mary Gardening 1 27-06-2006 04:57 PM
Last year, fungus fungus everywhere Natalka Rosalia Maria Roshak Edible Gardening 5 26-01-2005 06:26 PM
strange fungus and bugs Joe Gardening 3 17-06-2004 01:03 AM
Help with strange tree tumors/fungus? Links to pictures Michael Elliott Ponds (alternative) 0 25-04-2004 06:04 AM