Old 29-04-2010, 11:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
LM LM is offline

Default Can you identify this tree found in Northern California?

Can you identify this tree found in northern California?
http://img687.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis111.jpg/

These are branches and flowers pulled off of the tree earlier today.

I think it might be a mulbury or hibiscus but can't seem to find the exact
species since nither has those 5 stalks inside of the yellow flower and it
isn't red anywhere.

Does this plant look familiar to you?
Old 29-04-2010, 01:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

In article , LM wrote:
Can you identify this tree found in northern California?
http://img687.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis111.jpg/

These are branches and flowers pulled off of the tree earlier today.

I think it might be a mulbury

I have no idea what it is, but I can tell you one thing it definitely is
not: that doesn't even begin to resemble a mulberry.
Old 29-04-2010, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

LM wrote:
Can you identify this tree found in northern California?
http://img687.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis111.jpg/

These are branches and flowers pulled off of the tree earlier today.

I think it might be a mulbury or hibiscus but can't seem to find the exact
species since nither has those 5 stalks inside of the yellow flower and it
isn't red anywhere.

Does this plant look familiar to you?

Maybe this?

Botanical Name:
Cassia leptophylla

Common Name(s):
Gold Medallion Tree

http://bewaterwise.com/Gardensoft/pl...x?PlantID=3251
Old 29-04-2010, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

In article , Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 02:02:33 -0700, LM wrote:

Can you identify this tree found in northern California?
http://img687.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis111.jpg/

These are branches and flowers pulled off of the tree earlier today.

I think it might be a mulbury or hibiscus but can't seem to find the
exact species since nither has those 5 stalks inside of the yellow
flower and it isn't red anywhere.

Does this plant look familiar to you?

Looks vaguely like a Tulip Poplar or "Tulip Tree" except for the number
of stamen in the flower.

No, it doesn't.
http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/...ulip_tree2.jpg

The leaves are the wrong size.
The leaves are the wrong shape.
The flower is the wrong size.
The flower is the wrong shape.
The flower is the wrong color.
The whole plant is the wrong size.
The whole plant is the wrong shape.
Old 29-04-2010, 08:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
LM LM is offline

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:50:56 -0500, Hell Toupee wrote:

Can you identify this tree found in northern California?
http://img687.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis111.jpg/

Maybe this?
Cassia leptophylla
Gold Medallion Tree

Hi Hell,
(Can I call you Hell?)

The yellow flowers look the closest I've seen so far but the leaves are
unfortunately all wrong for the gold medallion tree. Drat.

I've been googling for hours trying to figure out what kind of tree this
is. It's definitely not a bush; it's 30 feet high (that's some bush) but I
just can't figure out what it is.

The next closest seems to be the hibiscus but I can't find a single
hibiscus flower picture that looks like the one I'm trying to identify.

That's why I asked. I'm perplexed.

Old 29-04-2010, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
LM LM is offline

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:23:41 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Can you identify this tree found in northern California?
http://img687.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis111.jpg/

Looks like yellow mallow. Mallow isn't a tree, though, a shrub at best.

I agree the yellow mallow flower looks similar and at least the leaves are
similar in that they're palmately veined.

But, as you noted, it's a shrub, not a 30-foot tall tree.

This is why I'm so confused.
Old 29-04-2010, 08:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
LM LM is offline

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:40:35 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

that doesn't even begin to resemble a mulberry.

Looking closer, I must agree with you.

We can strike mulberry and poplar off the list.

The best guess so far is "yellow mallow", "hibiscus", and the "Gold
Medallion Tree" but none have both the leaves and the flowers shown in any
Internet picture that looks similar.

That's why I'm so confused as to what this tree is.
Old 29-04-2010, 11:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

LM wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 08:50:56 -0500, Hell Toupee wrote:

Can you identify this tree found in northern California?
http://img687.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis111.jpg/

Maybe this?
Cassia leptophylla
Gold Medallion Tree

Hi Hell,
(Can I call you Hell?)

The yellow flowers look the closest I've seen so far but the leaves are
unfortunately all wrong for the gold medallion tree. Drat.

Got it!

Fremontia, also called California Flannel Bush (Fremontodendron
californicum)
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/po...fornicum_1.php
http://ohric.ucdavis.edu/photos/full...todendron2.jpg

Don't let the 'bush' part of the name mislead you, it also grows into
a small (15-25 ft) ornamental tree.
Old 29-04-2010, 11:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:14:07 -0700, LM
wrote:

The next closest seems to be the hibiscus but I can't find a single
hibiscus flower picture that looks like the one I'm trying to identify.

I've seen many hibiscus plants from Florida too Hawaii. Some in
botanical gardens. I'm almost certain it is not an hibiscus

The flowers, make me think of "tulip".

That's why I asked. I'm perplexed.

Are you local to this or was it a vacation photo? Locate the local
extent ion office and send a picture in e-mail.

Let us know what it is. I'm curious.
Old 30-04-2010, 01:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
LM LM is offline

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:35:05 -0700, Oren wrote:

I've seen many hibiscus plants from Florida too Hawaii. Some in
botanical gardens. I'm almost certain it is not an hibiscus
Are you local to this or was it a vacation photo?

That's why I asked. The closest I can get was hibiscus (I now agree that
mulberry is out). I did look up poplar (aka tulip), but nixed it on the
basis of the leaves.

I snapped more picture of the whole plant (shrub/bush/tree?), in situ,
today as it is near where I live. You can see that it's 25 to 30 feet tall
but only about 4 inches thick at the trunk although it has many trunks
(almost like a hugely tall bush).

The new pictures (of the whole shrug/tree/bush?) are posted here.
http://img72.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis112.jpg/

Old 30-04-2010, 01:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
LM LM is offline

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:23:24 -0500, Hell Toupee wrote:

Fremontia, also called California Flannel Bush (Fremontodendron
californicum)
http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/po...fornicum_1.php
http://ohric.ucdavis.edu/photos/full...todendron2.jpg

Bingo!

How did you do that?

I've asked literally dozens of people and nobody could figure it out.

I couldn't figure it out!

How did you do that? The pictures you referenced are uncannily similar!
http://img72.imageshack.us/g/whattreeisthis112.jpg/ (note this ends with a
slash!)
http://img72.imageshack.us/slideshow...eisthis112.jpg
Old 30-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM View Post
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:40:35 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

that doesn't even begin to resemble a mulberry.

Looking closer, I must agree with you.

We can strike mulberry and poplar off the list.

The best guess so far is "yellow mallow", "hibiscus", and the "Gold
Medallion Tree" but none have both the leaves and the flowers shown in any
Internet picture that looks similar.

That's why I'm so confused as to what this tree is.
the tree is fremontodendron-i have one in my garden in bedford uk
Old 30-04-2010, 02:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

In article , Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:31:10 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Jeff The Drunk
wrote:
[...]

I said vaguely looks like and it does "vaguely look like a tulip tree.

No, it doesn't. To begin with, that's a shrub, and a tulip poplar is a tree.
OK, they are both plants, and they have flowers. But that's about as close as
the resemblance gets.

Well that is unless you think that picture is the 'only' species of
a tulip tree. If that's the case you're a ****ing imbecile.

There *is* only one species of tulip poplar. Only a "****ing imbecile" would
fail to know that. And only a "****ing imbecile" would think that the OP's
photo bears any resemblance at all to one. But you've already shown yourself
to be a ****ing imbecile, so I shouldn't be surprised.