Old 26-05-2010, 12:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

Default Can seeds be used next year?

I have some left over heirloom tomato seeds as well as a few assorted
vegetables. Can these be used next spring? Even the minimum order of
seeds is far more than I can plant in my little yard.
Old 26-05-2010, 12:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 26, 7:05*am, dgk wrote:
I have some left over heirloom tomato seeds as well as a few assorted
vegetables. Can these be used next spring? Even the minimum order of
seeds is far more than I can plant in my little yard.

Yes. As long as you store them in a dry place aroung room temp or
lower. Wouldn't put them in a damp place, attic, etc.
Old 27-05-2010, 12:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

dgk said:

I have some left over heirloom tomato seeds as well as a few assorted
vegetables. Can these be used next spring? Even the minimum order of
seeds is far more than I can plant in my little yard.

Most (but not all) types of vegetable seeds can be saved and used the
next year. Some will last for several years.

Here's a list of longevity for "well stored" seeds of various vegetables
(see other replies for storage information):

http://growingtaste.com/storage.shtml

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 27-05-2010, 12:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dgk dgk is offline

On Thu, 27 May 2010 07:22:34 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

dgk said:

I have some left over heirloom tomato seeds as well as a few assorted
vegetables. Can these be used next spring? Even the minimum order of
seeds is far more than I can plant in my little yard.

Most (but not all) types of vegetable seeds can be saved and used the
next year. Some will last for several years.

Here's a list of longevity for "well stored" seeds of various vegetables
(see other replies for storage information):

http://growingtaste.com/storage.shtml

Thanks, they should be fine over the winter. I'll buy some other
varieties next year and also seed the ones I have left over this year.
I gave my extras away to a few friends and on Freecycle and there were
plenty of people who wanted some even after I ran out.

It's pretty easy to grow the seeds so my plan for next year is to grow
far more than I did this year, and just give the extras away on
Freecycle. It really doesn't cost much and I have a big bag of potting
soil left over. I guess that will be good next year as well.

Old 27-05-2010, 09:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz said:

[...]

Here's a list of longevity for "well stored" seeds of various vegetables
(see other replies for storage information):

http://growingtaste.com/storage.shtml

Thanks for that. I found out this year that peanuts don't keep. =/

Good list, tho! =)
--

Eggs

A foolproof method for sculpting an elephant: first, get a huge block of marble,
then you chip away everything that doesn't look like an elephant.
Old 27-05-2010, 11:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Pat Kiewicz wrote:

[....]

Here's a list of longevity for "well stored" seeds of various vegetables
(see other replies for storage information):

http://growingtaste.com/storage.shtml

thanks for sharing this link....
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered User

It is very easy to grow seeds of what my plan for next year is to grow much more than me this year, and only give away extra Free Cycle.
cannabis seeds