Old 05-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Registered User

Default petrol B&S lawnmower starting problem

Hello

I have a 2 yr old Briggs & Stratton petrol lawnmower. I can start it quite readily, but my Wife struggles.

It's the power required for the torque that she struggles with. Does anyone know of any aftermarket mechanical spindle that could replace the factory-fitted one? Maybe a modified spindle of some kind?

We're in the UK

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

ian jackson wrote the following:
Hello

I have a 2 yr old Briggs & Stratton petrol lawnmower. I can start it
quite readily, but my Wife struggles.

It's the power required for the torque that she struggles with. Does
anyone know of any aftermarket mechanical spindle that could replace the
factory-fitted one? Maybe a modified spindle of some kind?

We're in the UK

Thanks

1. Get a stronger wife.
2. Modify it (the mower, that is) by installing a starter/alternator and
battery.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 06-06-2010, 01:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 6, 7:40*am, willshak wrote:
ian jackson wrote the following:

Hello

I have a 2 yr old Briggs & Stratton petrol lawnmower. I can start it
quite readily, but my Wife struggles.

It's the power required for the torque that she struggles with. Does
anyone know of any aftermarket mechanical spindle that could replace the
factory-fitted one? Maybe a modified spindle of some kind?

We're in the UK

Thanks

1. Get a stronger wife.
2. Modify it (the mower, that is) by installing a starter/alternator and
battery.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

No easy solution for your problem, but when looking for a new mower,
be aware that many today have compression release. That reduces the
compression during cranking to make it easier to pull start.

I'd also make sure the wife is doing everything else right, ie priming
it correctly and that the spark plug is clean so that it starts with
the least amount of pulling possible. Even I get tired of trying to
pull start one that is having difficulty starting.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote the following:
[...]

Always keep a can of starter fluid handy. Works first time, every time,
unless you have a mechanical/electric problem.
If no starter fluid, carburetor cleaner works as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 5, 9:09*am, ian jackson ian.jackson.
wrote:
Hello

I have a 2 yr old Briggs & Stratton petrol lawnmower. I can start it
quite readily, but my Wife struggles.

It's the power required for the torque that she struggles with. Does
anyone know of any aftermarket mechanical spindle that could replace the
factory-fitted one? Maybe a modified spindle of some kind?

We're in the UK

Thanks

--
ian jackson

I'd be glad to have to start the mower for my wife, if she would only
cut the grass.