Old 22-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Registered User

Default new lawn

Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about 30ft X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying grass. I have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday, and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can you recommend something better.
Thanks in advance

Alan
Old 23-06-2010, 04:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
alanbrook

I am sorry I do not personally have a answer because this is a class
assignment and i pick your article.
Old 23-06-2010, 05:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 22, 2:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about
30ft *X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying
grass. I *have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has
left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday,
and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont
seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a
weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can
you recommend something better.
Thanks in advance

Alan

--
alanbrook

Alan,

I don't think I would worry about a weed membrane. I think I would
definetly put down as much topsoil as I could get over the clay, and
then lay the sod. Then get to know Weed and Feed. Not many things
other than your grass can live through a properly applied regimine of
Weed and Feed.
Old 23-06-2010, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 22, 11:13*pm, Jason Moody wrote:
On Jun 22, 2:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:

[...]

Weed and Feed.- Hide quoted text -

Weed membrane is used for beds, where you put it down before covering
it with material, eg mulch, rock, etc. that weeds will not grow in.
Even there it's benefit is questionable. It has no use in turf and
will at a minimum be useless and depending on what kind and how deep
it is, screw up the sod.

Weed N Feed is one of the worst products you can put down, especially
in terms of overusing herbicides. It should not be needed on a lawn
established from sod. I can see using it to get a lawn under control
that is full of weeds, but if you have scattered weeds the better
solution for typical size lawns is to apply a selective herbicide
directly to the weeds using a tank sprayer. For the typical size
lawn, a 2 gallon one works well. That puts the herbicide where it's
needed, which mazimizes it's effectiveness on killing the weeds and
minimizes the amount of herbicide used, which is better for the
environment, pets, etc.

The most important thing is to finish killing off the weeds and then
establish at least 6" of good topsoil. That could be achieved by
tilling in amendments to what you have or buying good screened
topsoil. To kill tougher weeds make sure you mix the Roundup or
equivalent stronger, 3% or so. You are buying the concentrate
right? Not the pre-mixed that is the least product for the most money?
Old 23-06-2010, 07:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
A B A B is offline

"alanbrook" wrote on 22nd June:
Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about
30ft X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying
grass. I have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has
left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday,
and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont
seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a
weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can
you recommend something better.

I've seen it said that you have to crush horsetail a bit before you put
weedkiller on it, because its leaves are coated with silica and shake off
weedkiller if left intact. Either trample it down thoroughly or beat it
with the back of a rake. After that, glyphosate weedkillers such as Roundup
are best, but you'll have to repeat the whole process when new growth
appears. This will probably happen several time before it admits defeat.
Yes, horsetail really is that tough.

If you don't want to slosh all that weedkiller around, repeated mowings are
also supposed to work, although that might take slightly longer. If you've
more or less cleared the other weeds, I suppose you could try cutting off
all the horsetail, laying new turf on top and mowing the horsetail along
with the grass until it gives in. Being thin and green it shouldn't show
too much in the meantime. I should warn you that I've never tried this.

Best of luck!

--
A. B.
My e-mail address is zen177395 at zendotcodotuk.

Old 23-06-2010, 08:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about
30ft *X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying
grass. I *have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has
left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday,
and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont
seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a
weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can
you recommend something better.
Thanks in advance

Alan

--
alanbrook

Personally I would just put down the top soil and then the turf, the
weeds would have a hard time growing through.
Old 23-06-2010, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about
30ft *X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying
grass. I *have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has
left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday,
and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont
seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a
weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can
you recommend something better.
Thanks in advance

Alan

--
alanbrook

I would have to agree. Use the top-soil and then the sod. Good Luck.
Old 24-06-2010, 05:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Fid Fid is offline

On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about
30ft *X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying
grass. I *have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has
left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday,
and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont
seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a
weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can
you recommend something better.
Thanks in advance

Alan

--
alanbrook

I'm in the same boat, trying to take back our yard. Plus, the moles
seem to love the grub infested yard.
Old 24-06-2010, 05:57 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
Hello Everyone
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
First off, I will admit to knowing nothing about gardening.
We bought a house with a badly overgrown back garden. It measures about
30ft *X 30ft, and was a mixture of rotten sheds and weed filled dying
grass. I *have cleared the sheds, and removed the old turf, which has
left a hard clay base and areas full of sand. We went off on holiday,
and came back to a sea of ivy and horsetail. Roundup and Weedol dont
seem to be eradicating the horsetail.
I want to lay new turf and get a decent garden quickly. Should I lay a
weed membrane, then a layer of topsoil and then the turf on top? Or can
you recommend something better.
Thanks in advance

Alan

--
alanbrook

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topic
is generaly about gardening.
Alan I would add some compost,and nitrigen or lime for the garden
Old 24-06-2010, 06:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
[...]

compost really works to grow shit.

Old 24-06-2010, 10:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I am also sorry. I do not personally have a answer because this is a
class
assignment and i picked your article.

Old 24-06-2010, 07:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
[...]

Don't be stingy on the topsoil! We were and our clay-concentrated
yard get rock solid very easily.

Keeping the horsetail gone is an ongoing process, much of its food is
stored in the root system, so they keep coming back. You'll probably
be weeding it for years :-(

Good luck,

Karen
Old 14-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the great advice.
Ive put down a lot of Roundup, and all weeds and most of the horsetail has died, but it does keep coming back.
I had a couple of gardners quote around £1000 to put down two tonnes of topsoil and then turf over 30ft by 20ft, so I'm going to do it myself.
I will add 4 tonnes of topsoil to bring the garden up to a better level, and then turf it.
Do you guys reckon I should rotavate the ground?

Thanks

Alan
Old 02-09-2010, 02:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

alanbrook wrote:
;892038 Wrote:
On Jun 22, 4:42*pm, alanbrook
wrote:-
[...]

Yes. You don't want a hard layer under the grass or its roots will just grow in
the surface topsoil, and need more water to survive. Personally, I would add
more compost and maybe sand and till it into the clay, rather than just covering
the clay with good soil.

Old lawn - new lawn Tintac Lawns 1 29-05-2012 07:53 PM
Lawn Experts, please help - New Turf Lawn Dying puppilup Lawns 11 19-08-2011 12:03 AM
grass/lawn question- lawn in New England KOS Gardening 1 27-08-2008 04:49 PM
Lawn weeds and new lawn forrestgump1083 Lawns 3 23-07-2008 02:26 PM
New lawn now 2", leave trimmings on lawn? MM United Kingdom 7 12-05-2005 10:53 PM