Old 05-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Registered User

Default Lawn Problem

Hi all,

I'm new on here. I need abit of advice regarding my lawn. I moved into my new house about 18months ago. My lawn in my backgarden is a rolled turf one. I watered the lawn everyday for quite a while and even put some seeds on it to help it grow.

We still have problems with it being patchy in places and the edges are just brown and never grow. Being a new development i asked my builder about the lawn and i was informed it would take a while to mature.

18 months on and i decided to put a shed in the garden, so i dug up part of the lawn to put a base down for the shed. I lifted some grass and noticed it was like a medium gravel below the turf, no top soil anywhere. Also the turf was water logged and the gravel was bone dry. I dug an area of 3.5m x 2.5m for the shed base, i never saw one worm in the turf and no top soil, i did lift a piece of plywood lying below the turf tho!!!!

Again i've questioned the builder on the way the turf was put down but still informed its ok. Am i right in saying there should be no gravel but top spoil below the turf, at least 4"????

Sorry for the long post but this is really starting to annoy me and i just want some advice as too how the turf should have been laid.

Many thanks for taking the time to read.