GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   DIY mower servicing (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/192919-diy-mower-servicing.html)

gashton34 26-07-2010 11:10 AM

DIY mower servicing

Hello,
I'm trying to service my Hayter self-propelled mower. I want to be able to get the blade off by unscrewing the nut underneath. unfortunately it has been put on too tight by one of those machines they use. I've trawled the DIY shops, but have been unable to get anything that will do the job. A simple sprocket set just isn't strong enough- I need a machine!
They must be available somewhere, but I need to know what they are called and where I can get one.
Thanks.

Jim[_19_] 26-07-2010 08:56 PM

DIY mower servicing

--
gashton34

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_7256_7256?cm_ite=15877&cm_pla=Power%20Tool sImpact%20Wrenches&cm_cat=Nextag&cm_ven=Aggregate s

Jim[_19_] 26-07-2010 08:59 PM

DIY mower servicing

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tools/p...ch-kit-3910898

Jim[_19_] 26-07-2010 09:06 PM

DIY mower servicing

http://compare.ebay.com/spid/5624111...yp es&var=srf

Steven Wayne[_2_] 27-07-2010 01:39 PM

DIY mower servicing

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:10:43 +0000, gashton34
wrote:

Hello,
I'm trying to service my Hayter self-propelled mower. I want to be able
to get the blade off by unscrewing the nut underneath. unfortunately it
has been put on too tight by one of those machines they use. I've
trawled the DIY shops, but have been unable to get anything that will do
the job. A simple sprocket set just isn't strong enough- I need a
machine!
They must be available somewhere, but I need to know what they are
called and where I can get one.
Thanks.

Silly question, but you are turning it the right way aren't you?

Steven
--
You're a great friend, but if the zombies chase us I'm tripping you.

www.baldman.org.uk

Willshak 28-07-2010 12:32 AM

DIY mower servicing

gashton34 wrote the following:
Hello,
I'm trying to service my Hayter self-propelled mower. I want to be able
to get the blade off by unscrewing the nut underneath. unfortunately it
has been put on too tight by one of those machines they use. I've
trawled the DIY shops, but have been unable to get anything that will do
the job. A simple sprocket set just isn't strong enough- I need a
machine!
They must be available somewhere, but I need to know what they are
called and where I can get one.
Thanks.

How about a Socket Wrench Breaker bar?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=socket+wrench+breaker+bar

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Red[_2_] 31-07-2010 02:08 AM

DIY mower servicing

On Jul 27, 6:32*pm, willshak wrote:
gashton34 wrote the following:

Hello,
I'm trying to service my Hayter self-propelled mower. I want to be able
to get the blade off by unscrewing the nut underneath. unfortunately it
has been put on too tight by one of those machines they use. I've
trawled the DIY shops, but have been unable to get anything that will do
the job. A simple sprocket set just isn't strong enough- I need a
machine!
They must be available somewhere, but I need to know what they are
called and where I can get one.
Thanks.

How about a Socket Wrench Breaker bar?http://lmgtfy.com/?q=socket+wrench+breaker+bar

Absolutely. And if that doesn't do it slip a 3' piece of pipe over
the breaker bar handle.

The Post Quartermaster 04-08-2010 01:33 PM

DIY mower servicing

"Red" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know the name of it and it's out in the workshop under tons of
other stuff, but there is a spray can of something, it foams when
applied, and you soak the culprit overnight. The next morning you can
almost loosen the thing with your fingers. If you want I'll try to
find my can and give you the name.

The Post Quartermaster 04-08-2010 05:38 PM

DIY mower servicing

"JimR" wrote in message
m...

"The Post Quartermaster"
wrote in message

"Red" wrote in message
[...]

I'll get back to ya.
--
Careful how you respond. I have people!

JC

The Post Quartermaster 04-08-2010 07:59 PM

DIY mower servicing

"The Post Quartermaster"
wrote in message

"JimR" wrote in message
m...

"The Post Quartermaster"
wrote in message

"Red" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry for the delay but I'm old and the workshop is a pretty good
walk. The stuff is called Penetro 90. It works for me.

Bob F 02-09-2010 01:05 AM

DIY mower servicing

gashton34 wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to service my Hayter self-propelled mower. I want to be
able to get the blade off by unscrewing the nut underneath.
unfortunately it has been put on too tight by one of those machines
they use.

Are you sure you are turning it the right way. A lot of those are reverse
threaded.

Albe013 25-02-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gashton34 (Post 895393)
Hello,
I'm trying to service my Hayter self-propelled mower. I want to be able to get the blade off by unscrewing the nut underneath. unfortunately it has been put on too tight by one of those machines they use. I've trawled the DIY shops, but have been unable to get anything that will do the job. A simple sprocket set just isn't strong enough- I need a machine!
They must be available somewhere, but I need to know what they are called and where I can get one.
Thanks.

really for what you would pay for one i would take your mower to a garage and get them to loosen the the bolt for you so that when you tighten it up you can do it to your own tightness but remember it as to be tight if the the blade comes off it will smash not only the mower but you uo as well