GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   best cash crop (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/193103-best-cash-crop.html)

anoanto 05-08-2010 10:37 AM

best cash crop

What garden vegetables make the best cash crop?

Willshak 05-08-2010 06:47 PM

best cash crop

anoanto wrote the following:
What garden vegetables make the best cash crop?

Do you mean other than the illegal ones?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Stubby[_3_] 06-08-2010 12:31 PM

best cash crop

On Aug 5, 5:37*am, anoanto wrote:
What garden vegetables make the best cash crop?

--
anoanto

Asparagus, leeks, beets. Tomatoes and cucumbers are now cost
effective because the stores are selling them by weight rather than
count now.

I don't grow egg plants, peppers, carrots, squashes and most of the
traditional garden vegetables. Too much work, too long growing
season, too much space. I avoid things that involve bending over or a
lot of weeding because of my back problems. And, I use black plastic
film as a mulch.

Frank 06-08-2010 01:12 PM

best cash crop

On Aug 5, 5:37*am, anoanto wrote:
What garden vegetables make the best cash crop?

--
anoanto

Small Amish stand I visit concentrates on blueberries and rasberries
and their jams. They have a large, screened off growing area right
near the stand and stand is self serve so they do not man it.
Another one up the road concentrates on tomatoes. Also self serve and
he's usually sold out.

dzenkinrob 17-08-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank (Post 896657)
On Aug 5, 5:37*am, anoanto wrote:
What garden vegetables make the best cash crop?

--
anoanto

Small Amish stand I visit concentrates on blueberries and rasberries
and their jams. They have a large, screened off growing area right
near the stand and stand is self serve so they do not man it.
Another one up the road concentrates on tomatoes. Also self serve and
he's usually sold out.

I think there are no problems with that.

Bob F 21-08-2010 07:56 AM

best cash crop

anoanto wrote:
What garden vegetables make the best cash crop?

Basil?

I heard of someone here in Seattle that grew it under lights in the winter and
sold it fresh to resteraunts.