Old 05-09-2010, 05:21 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

lil abner wrote the following:
On 9/4/2010 11:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2010 11:46 PM, lil abner wrote:
On 9/4/2010 12:16 PM, James wrote:
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big
clump
of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the
long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz cans at one
time, but I cannot get rid of the nest. The bees come right back to
it.

I used the long-shot spray method because of the danger of getting too
close, but even that was risky, as I had to fight off many bees
with the
spray, as they were coming after me.

My wife got stung 8 times while she was working near this spot, and
that
is how we first learned of it...

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get rid of this
nest ?
The pampas grass is quite large, and I cannot see the actual nest, but
dozens and dozens of bees continue to fly in and out of the plant, so
I know
it is in there somewhere.

Please help !!!

Thank you.

James

I've tried the sprays and other methods. The sprays all get soaked into
the ground before they get to the nest, here anyway. Spraying with or
trying to fill their hole(s) with water doesn't generally get rid of
them either.
Pouring, quite a bit of, gasoline or kerosene down the hole near or
after dark and ingniting it from a safe distance works. Don't wait a
half hour after pouing the gas though. The stuff will woomph all around
you. You might just get singed.

About a dozen people have suggested the 'cleansing fire' solution in
this thread, just like all the times before when somebody has asked
about the same problem. Just like before, it is a dumb idea, and can get
you in trouble with the law for putting the ground water at risk.
Doesn't matter if it works, the downside is too large.

I know, playing with fire is fun, but you can't buy real M-80s any more
either.

There is a law that says you can't use fire to get rid of yellow
jackets???
You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is
generally all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft
deep.

I guess he says the same about having an asphalt driveway on your property,

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 19:43:11 -0500, Steve Barker
wrote:

On 9/4/2010 6:48 PM, James wrote:
Why do all of you assume there is a "hole" ???? Most likely, it is a
big nest, built inside the sawgrass.

because yellow jackets nest IN the ground.

Not always. They'll build typical wasp's nests, on buildings, trees, and
such, too.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 22:16:35 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

On 9/4/2010 8:13 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 19:03:20 -0400, wrote:

James wrote:
[...]

Wow, you must have them really ****ed off. I usually leave them alone
and they leave me alone. I have a nest under the eave of my porch. I
don't mind them.

Why does this not surprise anyone?

I'm mostly a live-and-let-live kind of guy too, and had no problems
weeding the garden yesterday at the same time the buzzing things were
harvesting nectar. And I have no problems if they live out back past the
point where I bother to mow, or in the graveyard behind me, or in the
drainage lot down the street etc. But I just came back in from spraying
a nest in the usual spot in the front yard, where I need to mow
tomorrow. (Not sure why they always pick That Spot year after year,
unless they like how the moles pre-dig the hole for them.) I've
accidentally run the mower over 'bee fountains' 3-4 times in the 5 years
I've been here- even had them fly under my shirt and sting me. That is
annoying enough that I feel no guilt about nuking nests that are on MY
turf. All they gotta do is move a couple hundred feet in any direction,
and they will get no grief from me.

Bees, other than carpenter bees, yes, live and let live. Wasps, yes, no
problems with them. Hornets (and carpenter bees) die, no discussions. Nukes
come out, if necessary.

Note that if you have anyone in the house with a history of anaphylactic
(sp?) shock after bee stings, all bets are off. Epi pens aren't always
enough.

My wife doesn't fare well with bee stings, but it's not that critical, or at
least hasn't been.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010 20:21:01 -0700 (PDT), TimR wrote:

First, use a little care.

Yellowjackets start with one queen at the beginning of the year, the
rest die during the winter. By the end of August the colony is
generally about 1500. The fatal dose (assuming no allergies) is
between 500 and 1000 for the average human. So, do the math!

One can kill. Do the math.

Living in Virginia, I usually find one nest a year while mowing the
lawn. I think they start in a mole tunnel then dig it out.

I kill them with soapy water. I set a couple five gallon pails of
water and laundry soap near the hole, wait until dark, and pour it
in. No risk like with gasoline or pesticides. I've never had this
method fail, though I've sometimes had to do it a couple of times. It
took a little nerve the first time, I thought they might wake and come
flying out the hole, but that's never happened.

That's an excellent idea. Begnign, too. I'll file that one away.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 00:04:13 -0400, lil abner wrote:

[...]

There is a law that says you cannot put gasoline into the ground and another
that frowns heavily on arson.

You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally
all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.

Ask your local EPA droids or your fire marshal about that.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:37 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 6:01*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/4/2010 5:48 PM, ransley wrote:

On Sep 4, 5:25 pm, Steve *wrote:
On 9/4/2010 11:16 AM, James wrote:

[...]

You'll HAVE to find the hole and pour about a half gallon of gasoline
down it. *Done.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

And what about his grass plant, that will be dead too.

Not that i usually see your dumass posts cause i have you filtered in my
regular computer, but, since i did see this one, i'll answer. *IF he
gets the gas IN the hole and not all over the ****ing grass, it won't be
harmed. *DUH.

now PLONKED on this pc also.

--
Steve Barker
remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

What an idiot you are.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Walmart has something with that name on the box. Knowing our EPA, it
is probably confectioners sugar, though.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Ortho Seven is a powder, if you can get it at the hole it will kill
the bees. Pros you call out to exterminate use it. You can mix it
with
water and pour it in if you cant get the powder in, I tape a cup on a
pole and pour it in the hole. Gasolene will kill the pampas grass.

I didn't think powdered Seven was available anymore.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:53 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Wow, that must hurt. Ransley's posts won't appear on one PC in one
room in one house.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old 05-09-2010, 01:33 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2010 8:12 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 18:54:19 -0400,
wrote:

On 9/4/2010 6:16 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 17:38:29 -0400,
wrote:

[...]

One good shot of wasp/hornet spray in the nest opening should do it.
I've heard it is best to spray at night but I've done it many times in
the day as sprayed yellow jackets are disoriented and don't get you.

They're not all home during the day, so even if you don't get stung you didn't
do half the job.

Good point. I've seen some coming back the next day even but eventually
they all disappear.

No, they just move their nest. ...likely somewhere else you don't want it.

Not to belabor the point, but I believe that yellow jackets are like
other bees and once you've wiped out their base and killed the queen,
the drones just get lost.

Old 05-09-2010, 01:33 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 1:47 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 00:04:13 -0400, lil wrote:

[...]

uh..... arson? can't use gas or presumably anything to burn yellow jackets?
You're not serious?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-05, wrote:

Bees, other than carpenter bees, yes, live and let live. *

Since I've moved to CO, I've encountered some bizarre species of
wasps/YJs/bees. *Howzabout a wasp the size of a bumblebee and colored
like a holstein cow and furry! *Or lil' bitty bees no bigger'n a small
house fly nesting in an old decorative log. *I've seen a wasp the size
of a mosquito. *Didn't know if it was a separate speies or jes an
infant wasp. *Whatever the reason, CO elevation seems to be
enviornment numero uno for weird winged stingy things.

My wife doesn't fare well with bee stings, but it's not that critical, or at
least hasn't been.

I once thought I was allergic. *Now think I'm not. *when some
stingy thingie gets me, the pain is nonexistent to tolerable and only
lasts a day at most. *The real problem is the itching. *Last sting, I
itched so badly for 3 wks, I wanted to chop my foot off!

nb

The tiny wasps probably are mud-daubers. They fill any available tiny
hole to put their larvae in.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:49 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/5/2010 8:33 AM, Frank wrote:
On 9/4/2010 8:12 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 18:54:19 -0400,
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

that is what we need to do to the dems in november.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:54 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 07:51:46 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Walmart has something with that name on the box. Knowing our EPA, it
is probably confectioners sugar, though.

I said that because one of the morning drive talkers has the county extension
services representative on every Friday. Recently they were talking about
"Army Worm" infestations. Apparently Seven is the only treatment for it and
he said it was now only available in liquid form, which is expensive for this
use.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I didn't think powdered Seven was available anymore.

Don't know how to grind up a seven; Sevin(tm) is readily available afaik...

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1367494&CAWELAID=109327346

Bee Nest in Garage Leo Shea Gardening 26 02-08-2009 07:36 AM
Recommendation to get rid of small yellowjacket nest Link Gardening 12 29-05-2008 04:51 PM
What would eat a yellow jacket nest Cheryl Isaak Gardening 6 07-09-2007 06:18 PM
yellow jacket nest, cant reach Rob Gardening 20 26-09-2004 07:03 PM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 06:44 PM