Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

Default How to get rid of yellow jacket bee's nest ??

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 08:33:53 -0400, lil abner wrote:

On 9/5/2010 1:47 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 00:04:13 -0400, lil wrote:

On 9/4/2010 11:57 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2010 11:46 PM, lil abner wrote:
On 9/4/2010 12:16 PM, James wrote:
I live in North Florida. There is a yellow jacket bee hive in a big
clump
of pampass grass (sawgrass), that I can't get rid of. I have used the
long-shot Black Flag sprays, using a total of (3 ) 18 oz cans at one
time, but I cannot get rid of the nest. The bees come right back to it.

I used the long-shot spray method because of the danger of getting too
close, but even that was risky, as I had to fight off many bees with the
spray, as they were coming after me.

My wife got stung 8 times while she was working near this spot, and that
is how we first learned of it...

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I can get rid of this nest ?
The pampas grass is quite large, and I cannot see the actual nest, but
dozens and dozens of bees continue to fly in and out of the plant, so
I know
it is in there somewhere.

Please help !!!

Thank you.

James

I've tried the sprays and other methods. The sprays all get soaked into
the ground before they get to the nest, here anyway. Spraying with or
trying to fill their hole(s) with water doesn't generally get rid of
them either.
Pouring, quite a bit of, gasoline or kerosene down the hole near or
after dark and ingniting it from a safe distance works. Don't wait a
half hour after pouing the gas though. The stuff will woomph all around
you. You might just get singed.

About a dozen people have suggested the 'cleansing fire' solution in
this thread, just like all the times before when somebody has asked
about the same problem. Just like before, it is a dumb idea, and can get
you in trouble with the law for putting the ground water at risk.
Doesn't matter if it works, the downside is too large.

I know, playing with fire is fun, but you can't buy real M-80s any more
either.
There is a law that says you can't use fire to get rid of yellow jackets???

There is a law that says you cannot put gasoline into the ground and another
that frowns heavily on arson.

You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally
all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.

Ask your local EPA droids or your fire marshal about that.

uh..... arson? can't use gas or presumably anything to burn yellow jackets?
You're not serious?

Ask your fire marshal about dumping gasoline on the ground and lighting it.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 10:17:02 -0500, dpb wrote:

I said that because one of the morning drive talkers has the county extension
services representative on every Friday. Recently they were talking about
"Army Worm" infestations. Apparently Seven is the only treatment for it and
he said it was now only available in liquid form, which is expensive for this
use.

Would need to know for what application was referring to--if was ag
application, Sevin isn't generally used at all so presume must have been
for garden/turf/lawn applications.

This was for lawn use. He also said that Sevin was far too expensive for ag
use.

Again, afaik, Sevin is still a non-RUP (restricted-use pesticide) easily
obtained at any retail outlet.

That's not what he said. He did talk like it was a recent thing, though.

For ag applications, it'll depend on whether they're army worms or army
cutworms; they're similar name but different species and life cycles.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/pests/e830w.htm

Cutworms can be an especial a problem in winter wheat and other cereal
grains...they're one of our biggest worries every spring about what
level of infestations we'll see.

https://sites.aces.edu/group/homegro...4-85a79a4b328f
Old 05-09-2010, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Again, afaik, Sevin is still a non-RUP (restricted-use pesticide) easily
obtained at any retail outlet.

That's not what he said. He did talk like it was a recent thing, though.

Must be so recent that Ace hasn't heard of it yet nor did a quick google
return a hit about EPA and Sevin which would normally be expected to be
about the most prominent topic to come up if it were a recent development...

I suppose it could be something local or a pending thing, but it surely
doesn't appear to be so at the moment afaict...

https://sites.aces.edu/group/homegro...4-85a79a4b328f

Which lists Sevin dust, too.

It does, but the guy was on the radio in the last couple of weeks (he was
talking about the Armyworms Friday, but don't remember the Sevin issue being
brought up) saying that it is no longer available. It apparently is a very
recent thing. Current supplies are allowed to be sold.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:05 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-05, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Ask your fire marshal about dumping gasoline on the ground and lighting it.

Right after you ask yer mommy if you can come out and play.

nb
Old 05-09-2010, 05:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

[...]

OTOH, a web search brings up nothing relating to a ban on Sevin. Perhaps when
we're out later I'll look to see if it's on the shelves.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:07 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-05, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Ask your fire marshal about dumping gasoline on the ground and lighting it.

Right after you ask yer mommy if you can come out and play.

You would think about your mommy, nutjob.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:11 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

James wrote:
[...]

Tennis racket, you march to the den of death and dare them to come at
you knowing "to the victor goes the spoils". Wear something with a
tight collar they fight dirty when they go down your shirt.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 2010-09-05, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

You would think about your mommy, nutjob.

All day long, 24/7. She has alzheimers and I care for her.

nb

Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/5/10 12:04 AM, lil abner wrote:

There is a law that says you can't use fire to get rid of yellow jackets???
You don't use enough gasoline to fill a well. A quart or so is generally
all it will take but I have seen a nest that was over 5 ft deep.

Why light it? When you pour the gas down the hole, the fumes will
displace the air, so the fire won't go down the hole. The soil will
keep the heat away from the nest.

I have found that the fumes from a tablespoon of gasoline will kill a
nest. I imagine soil organisms can soon break down that small amount.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

On 9/5/10 12:13 PM, dpb wrote:
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

OTOH, a web search brings up nothing relating to a ban on Sevin. ...

In addition, the new state licensed applicators' information packet I
just received last month that I just looked at for to make certain says
nothing regarding Sevin and there's been no mention of it in any notices
or updates I've received this crop year regarding it, either. Those
generally are front page as they are generic for all licensed
applicators in the State, not just ag producers like me...

One would have to know precisely what product for what application in
what jurisdiction the report was referring to--it could be a municipal
ban for lawn use in a local area or something but I'm quite certain it's
not EPA-related nor national. Or, he could just have his facts wrong or
misspoke in an interview meaning to refer to another product when his
statement made it sound as though it was Sevin. Or, any of a limitless
other possibilities, but I'm sure it's not an EPA mandate.

--

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-PEST/2009/March/Day-18/p5695.htm

Last year, manufacturers of Sevin and other carbaryl products
voluntarily requested that the EPA terminate lots of uses for the stuff.
The EPA didn't say why. Maybe the manufacturers want to open up a
market for something at ten times the price.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

J Burns wrote:

http://www.epa.gov/EPA-PEST/2009/March/Day-18/p5695.htm

Last year, manufacturers of Sevin and other carbaryl products
voluntarily requested that the EPA terminate lots of uses for the stuff.
The EPA didn't say why. Maybe the manufacturers want to open up a
market for something at ten times the price.

Hmmm....interesting it didn't show up in the RUP updates I get from
State same. Perhaps their generation notices that are pretty
clearly auto-generated aren't geared to find stuff that is voluntarily
delisted application instead of EPA-mandated. There's a semi-annual
review coming up for long; if I think of it I'll ask about it.
Meanwhile, guess best stock up if can still find some on shelves for
garden altho it is of no concern for lack thereof for the farm operation.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair

theres NO need to light the gasoline dumped down the hole the vapors
kill the stinging beasts.

of course I mix roundup and poision ivy killer 50% 50% to kill posion
ivy.

I tend to do what works!

Bee Nest in Garage Leo Shea Gardening 26 02-08-2009 07:36 AM
Recommendation to get rid of small yellowjacket nest Link Gardening 12 29-05-2008 04:51 PM
What would eat a yellow jacket nest Cheryl Isaak Gardening 6 07-09-2007 06:18 PM
yellow jacket nest, cant reach Rob Gardening 20 26-09-2004 07:03 PM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 06:44 PM