GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Millions of microbugs on wet deck (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/193943-millions-microbugs-wet-deck.html)

Willshak 01-10-2010 10:23 PM

Millions of microbugs on wet deck

These were on my deck today after a rain. Each bug/insect is about 1 mm
in length. Using every magnifying lens available in the house, they
appear to be flea like, with two antennas and 6 legs.They seem to like
to huddle, but others move swim-like through the water, and others
spring to new locations. Those are 6" wide decking boards.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2349/dscn0227u.jpg
This is only one section of the deck, they were on other sections, but
those pics didn't come out as well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 02-10-2010 12:02 PM

willshak said:

These were on my deck today after a rain. Each bug/insect is about 1 mm
in length. Using every magnifying lens available in the house, they
appear to be flea like, with two antennas and 6 legs.They seem to like
to huddle, but others move swim-like through the water, and others
spring to new locations. Those are 6" wide decking boards.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2349/dscn0227u.jpg
This is only one section of the deck, they were on other sections, but
those pics didn't come out as well.

Springtails.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig124

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Willshak 02-10-2010 04:20 PM

Pat Kiewicz wrote the following:
willshak said:

These were on my deck today after a rain. Each bug/insect is about 1 mm
in length. Using every magnifying lens available in the house, they
appear to be flea like, with two antennas and 6 legs.They seem to like
to huddle, but others move swim-like through the water, and others
spring to new locations. Those are 6" wide decking boards.
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2349/dscn0227u.jpg
This is only one section of the deck, they were on other sections, but
those pics didn't come out as well.

Springtails.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig124

Thanks.
That appears to be them. The ones I have appear to be the linear type,
except for the colors mentioned. Mine are black, and was first thought
to be spilled ground black pepper.
BTW, I killed them using Clorox Clean-Up. It took a little longer to
kill them since they were in water which diluted the clorox even further.