Old 18-10-2010, 04:05 AM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Light sensor for OFF at dusk and ON at daylight?

I'm interested in finding a light sensor/110V outlet combination
that turns things off at dusk an on at daylight, instead of the
other way around as most of them do. Can anyone suggest where to
get such a thing, or where else I can ask about it?

Thanks for any help!
David
Old 18-10-2010, 02:05 PM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

I have never heard anyone who wanted that. I doubt that anyone makes a
standard product for it (at any reasonable price).
The easiest way to get that would be to buy a standard one and put a relay
after it to invert the output.

Old 19-10-2010, 12:37 AM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

dh@. wrote the following:
I'm interested in finding a light sensor/110V outlet combination
that turns things off at dusk an on at daylight, instead of the
other way around as most of them do. Can anyone suggest where to
get such a thing, or where else I can ask about it?

Thanks for any help!
David

I suppose you would have to rewire the light sensor so it works in reverse.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 19-10-2010, 01:09 PM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 17, 11:05*pm, dh@. wrote:
I'm interested in finding a light sensor/110V outlet combination
that turns things off at dusk an on at daylight, instead of the
other way around as most of them do. Can anyone suggest where to
get such a thing, or where else I can ask about it?

You could use two light sensors in a box (with ventilation!). The
first looks at the world while the second looks at the light on the
first sensor.
Old 26-10-2010, 03:38 PM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:50:17 -0400, "Petem"
wrote:

"Stubby" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion :
On Oct 17, 11:05 pm, dh@. wrote:
I'm interested in finding a light sensor/110V outlet combination
that turns things off at dusk an on at daylight, instead of the
other way around as most of them do. Can anyone suggest where to
get such a thing, or where else I can ask about it?

You could use two light sensors in a box (with ventilation!). The
first looks at the world while the second looks at the light on the
first sensor.

That idea worked great. It's probably the way I'll go with it

Just put a 110 volt realy at the place of the lamp connection in a simple
dusk detector and use a N.C. connection on it to feed what ever you want..
if the relay is OFF (when the detector see some light) the currenty pass ..
simple simple simple..

I'm interested in trying that but don't know an easy place to
get the relay, or what an N.C. connection is. I did however get
two light sensors like "Stubby" suggested and it seems to work
pretty well.
Old 26-10-2010, 04:06 PM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 17, 11:05 pm, dh@. wrote:
[...]

parts-express.com has relays for many different voltages. A 120 volt
relay is about $10.00. The N.C. connection is the "normally closed"
connection. It is a closed circuit before the relay is activated. It
opens upon activation. The opposite is the normally open connection
which is the opposite of the normally closed.

The relay is small, does not require much power (none when it is not
activated). It doesn't put out heat, and it is easy to wire into a
circuit. It does seem like a better choice than the two light suggestion.
--
Jim
Old 26-10-2010, 04:11 PM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 17, 11:05 pm, dh@. wrote:
I'm interested in finding a light sensor/110V outlet combination
that turns things off at dusk an on at daylight, instead of the
other way around as most of them do. Can anyone suggest where to
get such a thing, or where else I can ask about it?

You could use two light sensors in a box (with ventilation!). The
first looks at the world while the second looks at the light on the
first sensor.

That idea worked great. It's probably the way I'll go with it

Just put a 110 volt realy at the place of the lamp connection in a simple
dusk detector and use a N.C. connection on it to feed what ever you want..
if the relay is OFF (when the detector see some light) the currenty pass
..
simple simple simple..

I'm interested in trying that but don't know an easy place to
get the relay, or what an N.C. connection is. I did however get
two light sensors like "Stubby" suggested and it seems to work
pretty well.

110 volt relay are very easy to find..
look there
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rodsPerPage=60
you will even see the base for it on the same page..
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...lickid=prod_cs

the schematics of the connection inside the relay is on the top of the
plastic cover.. very easy to work with..

And a N.C. connection is a NORMAL CLOSED connection, so the part of a switch
that normally (without power to the relay) is normal a closed circuit..
(passing current)

Old 27-10-2010, 12:33 AM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

Jim H wrote:
On 10/26/2010 7:38 AM, dh@. wrote:
On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 23:50:17 -0400,
wrote:

a écrit dans le message de
groupe de discussion :
On Oct 17, 11:05 pm, dh@. wrote:
[...]

It does matter what you are turning on. Relays handle different amounts of
current and voltage for difeernet kinds of loads, and should be spec'ed for your
load.

Old 31-10-2010, 12:20 PM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

dh@. wrote in message ...
I'm interested in finding a light sensor/110V outlet combination
that turns things off at dusk an on at daylight, instead of the
other way around as most of them do. Can anyone suggest where to
get such a thing, or where else I can ask about it?

Thanks for any help!
David

What are you using it for? Could a timer work instead?. Just curious, I
might learn something.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010 07:20:22 -0500, "Dr.Smith"
wrote:

dh@. wrote in message ...
I'm interested in finding a light sensor/110V outlet combination
that turns things off at dusk an on at daylight, instead of the
other way around as most of them do. Can anyone suggest where to
get such a thing, or where else I can ask about it?

Thanks for any help!
David

What are you using it for? Could a timer work instead?. Just curious, I
might learn something.

I'm using it to light a bird cage. I wanted the lights to go
along pretty much with day and night cycles for the area we are
in, and was going to use timers and change the settings every
couple of weeks or whatever, but even if I got that going
smoothly a power failure would mess things up. So the idea of
letting the sun do it since that's what I'm trying to simulate
seemed like the best way to go, and still does.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.automation,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 17, 11:05 pm, dh@. wrote:
[...]

I might eventually try it, but I've been trying out the two
sensor approach for several days now and it seems to be working
great. I plan to replace the incandescent nightlight I'm using
with an LED light, and may just leave it at that.
Old 19-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Registered User

You can use two light sensors in a box (with air!). The First look at the world, focusing on the second light on The first sensor.
Pond Supplies