Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 AM
MH

Default Zoysia Lawn

Does anyone have any information or knowledge of the Zoysia Lawn "plugs"
that are advertised in the Family Handyman magazines??

I'm building a new house this year and I was thinking of planting that type
of lawn.

Thanks for any input.

Old 01-05-2003, 03:57 AM
Dave305

MH wrote:

Does anyone have any information or knowledge of the Zoysia Lawn "plugs"
that are advertised in the Family Handyman magazines??

I'm building a new house this year and I was thinking of planting that
type of lawn.

Thanks for any input.

Check with the people next door, that grass will take over a lawn in no
time. I know I have some in my yard from next door. Zoysia is a hard grass
to get rid of because it has really deep/thick roots 6" or so. We have St.
Aug grass here (S. Texas) and it is no match for the Zoysia, it won't even
grow around the Zoysia at all.
--
Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-05-2003, 04:08 AM

Dave305 wrote:
MH wrote:

Does anyone have any information or knowledge of the Zoysia Lawn
"plugs" that are advertised in the Family Handyman magazines??

I'm building a new house this year and I was thinking of planting that
type of lawn.

Thanks for any input.

Check with the people next door, that grass will take over a lawn in no
time. I know I have some in my yard from next door. Zoysia is a hard
grass to get rid of because it has really deep/thick roots 6" or so. We
have St. Aug grass here (S. Texas) and it is no match for the Zoysia, it
won't even grow around the Zoysia at all.

Good point,Dave,Zoysia is forever. It would be my last resort.

Try to find something that stays green longer,and is -less- invasive.

--
GO# 40
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 01-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Ed Lucarini

I was talked out of installing Zoysia on a very good point. It's first to
turn brown in the fall and last to turn green in spring.

Zone 7
Ed

Old 04-05-2003, 04:44 PM
Wade Homesley

I have emerald zoysia in the back via plugs I put in last year. It is the
finest blade zoysia around..at least it was last year. My local nursery
now carries Empress plugs which I have started in the front. I had a
washing problem coupled with alot of burning sun which made fescue
impossible.

As far as zoysia turning brown it all depends on where you live. In parts
of the south it stays green year round. From where I am (in NC) it turns
brown in early November and it became green the first week this past April.
If you don't want to water and mow alot and have some durability you might
want to reconsider.

Wade

et...

Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Datura

Can you take a photo of your lawn for the group? I've never seen a Zoysia
lawn (knowingly at least) and am curious about how it looks ..

Thanks,
Datura

rthlink.net...

Old 07-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Patrick Smith

I will when I get back home. I am traveling for work now. Its not going to
look like a full lawn as I just got the 180 plugs put in the front in an
area that wash and the ones in the back haven't grown much in the past year
since I put them in. I'll take a close up though.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:08 AM
farmer brown

Zoysia is great! Put in the plugs and your will have a thick green yard in
2-3 growing seasons. You should only have to water the first year. its good
-30 degrees. go for it.

Old 09-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Chet Hayes

Why anyone concerned with -30 temps would want Zoysia is beyond me. A
neighbor here at the NJ shore has it. Their lawn turns brown in Oct
and looks like hell all fall, winter and half of spring. It stays
that way till late May. My tall fescue/blue grass looks spectacular
in the fall and stays a deep green usually into January. It greens up
again in early April.

Plus it's aggressive and will spread everywhere, including beds,
driveways, etc.

Old 27-06-2006, 03:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
jtees4

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:52:49 -0500, Steve
wrote:

(Chet Hayes) wrote in
. com:

Why anyone concerned with -30 temps would want Zoysia is beyond me. A
neighbor here at the NJ shore has it. Their lawn turns brown in Oct
and looks like hell all fall, winter and half of spring. It stays
that way till late May. My tall fescue/blue grass looks spectacular
in the fall and stays a deep green usually into January. It greens up
again in early April.

Plus it's aggressive and will spread everywhere, including beds,
driveways, etc.

"farmer brown" wrote in message
Zoysia is great! Put in the plugs and your will have a thick green
yard in 2-3 growing seasons. You should only have to water the first
year. its good to
-30 degrees. go for it.

"MH" wrote in message
Does anyone have any information or knowledge of the Zoysia Lawn
"plugs" that are advertised in the Family Handyman magazines??

I'm building a new house this year and I was thinking of planting
that
type
of lawn.

Thanks for any input.

It's a weed!! Why would one want a yard full of weeds and call it grass?

I agree...and I have it. It was already in my front yard when i bought
the house 8 years ago. It looks spectacular right now, but in October
thu May I may as well live on a hay farm.

Zoysia invading centipede lawn [email protected] Lawns 6 24-08-2007 09:46 PM
Replace Existing Lawn with Zoysia Buck Turgidson Gardening 10 10-10-2005 03:08 PM
New lawn Zoysia Mike Lawns 1 15-03-2005 04:49 AM
Zoysia cultivars that make a good lawn Ablang Gardening 1 30-11-2003 09:22 PM
Earthworms in Zoysia Lawn David W. Bennett Gardening 1 09-04-2003 07:20 PM