Old 18-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered User

Default Seeding a lawn

Hello, I am new to all this! I've spent two years sorting out the rubble patch that was the 'garden' and my wife and I have put in new beds and it looks great! However, the lawn after the snow is very patchy and is looking a bit sorry for itself. I was wondering if anyone can give us some top tips on how to reseed it and when it's best to do this?
It's mild weather here in London at the mo and very wet but there may be another cold snap. Is now a good time to seed the lawn or is it too early? If so, when would be a good time to do this?

Also, we have been popping blooming bedding plants into the beds for a late spring/summer bloom but were wondering if there is a more long term solution to having lovely blooms in warmer weather? We can't really seed from scratch at home.

Thanks for any help!
Old 14-02-2011, 03:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jan 18, 12:00*pm, Justinb
wrote:
Hello, I am new to all this! I've spent two years sorting out the rubble
patch that was the 'garden' and my wife and I have put in new beds and
it looks great! However, the lawn after the snow is very patchy and is
looking a bit sorry for itself. I was wondering if anyone can give us
some top tips on how to reseed it and when it's best to do this?
It's mild weather here in London at the mo and very wet but there may be
another cold snap. Is now a good time to seed the lawn or is it too
early? If so, when would be a good time to do this?

Cool season grasses, which is what you should be using in London,
require
soil temps in the 50s to germinate. That generally corresponds to
daytime
temps in the 50's to low 60s. If you have a decent size area, I'd
look into
renting a slit seeder, which is a gas powered machine that cuts
grooves
about 2" apart and drops the seed. That way you get good soil/seed
contact, which is critical. I'd rather spend $70 renting a machine
and get
great results instead of throwing money away on grass seed that fails.

The best time to see is early Fall. Then you have less competition
from
weeds, less watering required, and longer for the grass to establish
before the next summer when it will be stressed. If you do it in
Spring
be prepared to apply more water to keep it moist during germination
and then during any dry periods. And be prepared to use herbicide
later on to deal with the weeds.

Also, we have been popping blooming bedding plants into the beds for a
late spring/summer bloom but were wondering if there is a more long term
solution to having lovely blooms in warmer weather? We can't really seed
from scratch at home.

Perennial flowers?

Thanks for any help!

--
Justinb

Re-seeding my lawn: no visible growth after 16 days! Keith Brown United Kingdom 6 08-04-2009 10:50 PM
lawn seeding? Ni North Carolina 1 03-11-2003 08:33 PM
Lawn Seeding Thrill Gardening 1 05-10-2003 04:32 PM
Seeding lawn v turf - what type Geoff Australia 5 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Seeding a lawn Dan United Kingdom 2 31-03-2003 08:56 AM