Old 17-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Registered User

Unhappy Soggy Grass

Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a soggy mulch what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.
Old 21-02-2011, 05:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Soggy Grass

--
boomer356

What state do you live in? And what is the weather like?
Old 21-02-2011, 10:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

Our yard does the same thing each year, it flattens out where it is
tall. We just cut it like we do the rest of our grass. I hope this
helps.
Old 21-02-2011, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

Newsgroups are a great way to discuss topics. In this case, the topic
in general is gardening.
Old 22-02-2011, 02:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

I am only replying to your question as a part of an internet literacy
class I am taking. Unfortunately I do not know a whole lot about
gardening. In my experience though, if the grass grew before the
snowfall and established a strong root system, it will revitilize
itself when the weather gets nice. Good luck.

Old 22-02-2011, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

I believe when it is dry enough to cut that you can cut it and it
should be just fine.
Old 22-02-2011, 09:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

I believe that as long as your yard is established, you will be fine.
Just cut it when appropriate.
Old 23-02-2011, 05:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

Your best bet would be to do nothing at the moment. From what you
described it sounds like the ground is still very wet from the snow/
rain. Wait for your yard to dry out until you are certain you can pass
a mower (riding or pushing) over it without it sinking into the lawn.
No need to get stuck! Since your lawn is shady you're going to have a
higher amount of moisture than a lawn that is exposed to full sun, so
you are probably going to have a "wet" lawn on more than one occasion
throughout the year. Once it dries out trim your grass. You may have
to do multiple passes if the grass is quite high. Keeping the grass
trimmed regularly might help reduce moisture; it will give the grass
"room to breathe" instead of letting it get tangled and matted. I hope
this helps you. Good luck!
Old 24-02-2011, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

Hello,

boomer365 I believe there's nothing you really can do at this moment.
Wait for more sun and wait until it tries up. Cutting it then will be
a better idea. Plus the snow may have ruined some of the grass so
sadly I think you may have to replant some seeds to rejuvinate your
garden.

Good luck boomer365.

Old 24-02-2011, 12:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

I thought I replied because it said my message was successful but I do
not see it. I believe you just need to wait it out, wait for the
ground to dry before you cut the grass.

Good luck boomer365
Old 24-02-2011, 02:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

If I were you, I would play it by ear. I would first wait for it to
dry out enough so your lawn mower is not sinking in the mud. I'd then
mow it and see how it does. If you have some bare spots, I would
replenish them with grass seed and see how it goes. The biggest thing
is not getting too anxious and trying to mow it before it's dried out.
That could do more damage than there already is.

Old 24-02-2011, 02:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

If I were you I would wait for the area to dry before you attempt to
do anything. Once it is dry enough to mow without sinking in the mud,
I'd mow it. If you have any bare spots, I'd replenish them with more
grass seed and see what happens.

Old 24-02-2011, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 7:33*am, boomer356
wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well to
my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened it to a
soggy mulch *what should i do to revitalise it or is it too late?
Thank you.

--
boomer356

Just wondering what this news group is all about
Thanks
Old 24-02-2011, 07:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

boomer356 wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new and after some advice. I have a small shady yard and last year
in Oct I sowed some grass. Tha advice was not to cut it? It grew well
to my surprise but over the winter the snow and rain have flattened
it to a soggy mulch what should i do to revitalise it or is it too
late?
Thank you.

You could lightly raking it up with a leaf rake, allowing more air and sun to
get the the grass leaves, then mow it as soon as it dries up enough. Trying it
on part of the lawn might be an interesting experiment, so you would know in the
future.

I was told by a sod company here in the PNW that mowing short in the fall/winter
helps avoid disease.