Old 26-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered User

Default Lawn on clay...help

I know there are lots of posts about lawns on clay soils but I'm still not sure what is the best thing to do in my particular situation. Most of our grass is on clay very poorly draining soil - we've never had particularly good grass. We are in the middle of having some building work done which has necessitated having a mini digger on the grass to dig drainage trenches (sewerage) and now there is no grass left.. its all churned up. The builder will level it and seed it but personally I don't think that will be very successful because it is so waterlogged. What would be the best thing to do?... remove a layer of the clayey soil, replace with topsoil/ sand?... should I be putting in land drainage?.. The site really is very wet. We are in Cornwall near to Truro if anyone can recommend anyone who could do the work that might be required that would be great.

Thanks.

Sean
Old 26-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Suffolk

With Clay you must break the particles up so by using a deep fork technique place a garden fork right up to the hilt as much as u can then rake in sharp sand. In spring spread grass seed over the area which will outgrow the moss and in time the soil will be managable
Old 27-02-2011, 01:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
Seanl

Hmmm I don't know much about it, but just make sure you use the right
grass seed. My brother just seeded his lawn two times but used the
type that doesn't come back the following year...
Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Hmmm I don't know much about it, but just make sure you use the right
grass seed. My brother just seeded his lawn two times but used the
type that doesn't come back the following year...

Because it was cheap?