Old 13-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered User

Default Help - New Lawn

Last year summer 2010 we had the back garden (30 sq/m ) cleared, shrubs, trees, weeds etc all dug and cleared and levelled out, we was meant to get someone in to turf, however i decided to take the job on myself, but didnt have time ) now we are in March 2011, and the back garden is full of weeds every where, it does need some levelling, and i have considered buying a rotavator, however i have read that rather than rotavate, as this could make things worse, i should use a systemic weed killer, and kill all the weeds, wait a few weeks, and then rotavate and level out? Is this right?

Jason
Old 19-03-2011, 12:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
JasonNorthants

I'd definitely prefer to kill everything off with Roundup (glyphosate)
first.
But, the weeds need to be actively growing for that to work. And it
works better and faster at decent temps, like in the 60's to 70s.
You
can reseed or lay sod a week after application. Given the factors
above and timeline at this point, sod is going to be preferred.

For sod you would need to rotavate. I've had good results renovating
lawns from seed without doing that, which is a big pain. To do that
you do the Roundup, then when it's all dead, mow it short, rake, then
use a slit seeder to cut grooves and drop the seed. If the soil is
not
compacted, that is an option as well, but Fall is preferred due to
more competition now from weeds, more watering required, etc.
If you're prepared to deal with that, it can still be done in Spring.

Old lawn - new lawn Tintac Lawns 1 29-05-2012 06:53 PM
Lawn Experts, please help - New Turf Lawn Dying puppilup Lawns 11 18-08-2011 11:03 PM
grass/lawn question- lawn in New England KOS Gardening 1 27-08-2008 03:49 PM
Lawn weeds and new lawn forrestgump1083 Lawns 3 23-07-2008 01:26 PM
New lawn now 2", leave trimmings on lawn? MM United Kingdom 7 12-05-2005 09:53 PM