Old 27-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered User

Default Raising the level of a lawn

I have an existing lawn adjacent to a raised patio area. The lawn has been in a poor condition, patchy, balding and weed ridden. I would like to raise the level of the lawn to run flush with the patio, +3" to 9" varing over the area.

I have completely stripped the top layer of grass and just started to turn over the soil bed. Once I had finished turning over, I had planned to roller the soil? wait 2-3 weeks to check for weed growth, spot weed with an instant biodegradable weed killer then add topsoil and finally turf.

I'm happy with adding top soil and turfing but concerned about turning the existing soil.
Is this necessary when adding 3 to 9 inches of soil and turfing, will the weeds work through?
Could tuning over the existing soil (down about 6" deep) and adding top soil hinder the turf from 'taking'?

I will be looking to lay the best quality turf and want to achieve the best possible results. Im not too concerned about time and would appreciate any advice before continuing.

Thanks in advance, Mark

B.T.W The old lawn drained well and the area is 35m2.
Old 29-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Yorkshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
[...]

Hi Mark,

It looks like you have most things covered here and are doing the right things.

If it were me I would spray the whole area with the instant biodegradbale weedkiller before you turn it and then cover it for a month or two. You can then turn it in with no problem and do the steps you describe.

You should have a great lawn after this!

Hope this helps!
__________________
Sheffield Gardener
Old 18-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheffieldGarden View Post
Hi Mark,

It looks like you have most things covered here and are doing the right things.

If it were me I would spray the whole area with the instant biodegradbale weedkiller before you turn it and then cover it for a month or two. You can then turn it in with no problem and do the steps you describe.

You should have a great lawn after this!

Hope this helps!
As SheffieldGarden suggests, it's usually better to get weedkill the lot then turf and cover. That should ensure that all the weeds are dead and none creep back!

Raising the level of lawn The Doctor[_2_] United Kingdom 5 21-03-2008 10:37 AM
Raising level of lawn John S G Lawns 6 23-08-2007 04:51 AM
Stem Griddling Roots After Raising Ground Level? Nehmo Sergheyev Gardening 15 13-02-2005 07:25 AM
Stem Griddling Roots After Raising Ground Level? Nehmo Sergheyev Plant Science 9 07-02-2005 11:48 PM
Raising the level. Nick Spalding United Kingdom 0 20-02-2003 07:17 PM