Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered User

Arrow Concrete under lawn

I bought a house last year and have finally got around to starting to sort out the garden.

For some strange reason there is a block of concrete in the middle of the rear lawn. I thought it may have been used by the previous owner for positioning a washing line or something similar. So I set about digging it up only to find that the concrete actually goes under a fairly large section of the lawn and not just the section in which it is exposed.

I'm planning to dig it up and then either lay some new seed of turf, but before I started I just wanted to check if there is any reason why it may be necessary to keep it there.

I can't think of any and I'm actually surprised the lawn has managed to survive and grow over it.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete under lawn-lawn1.jpg   Concrete under lawn-lawn3.jpg   Concrete under lawn-lawn5.jpg
Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Concrete under lawn

In article ,
DaveJ86 wrote:

I bought a house last year and have finally got around to starting to
sort out the garden.

For some strange reason there is a block of concrete in the middle of
the rear lawn. I thought it may have been used by the previous owner for
positioning a washing line or something similar. So I set about digging
it up only to find that the concrete actually goes under a fairly large
section of the lawn and not just the section in which it is exposed.

I'm planning to dig it up and then either lay some new seed of turf, but
before I started I just wanted to check if there is any reason why it
may be necessary to keep it there.

I can't think of any and I'm actually surprised the lawn has managed to
survive and grow over it.

Any chance it is the top of a septic system?

--
"Even I realized that money was to politicians what the ecalyptus tree is to koala bears: food, water, shelter and something to crap on."
---PJ O'Rourke