Old 21-04-2011, 01:46 PM
BigIan's Avatar
Registered User

Default Lawn newbie needs to check that google is right.

Hi all,

I moved last autumn and bought my first house with a garden.
I`m quite happy with the garden as it is, lots of flowering shrubs and a few trees, the lawn looks a little worse for wear so i`ve been looking at how best to fix this. the problems a
1) LOTS of moss in the lawn.
2)compacted soil (when i water it in the evening the water very quicly pools)
3) Various weeds such as dandilions
4) Bald patches, some of these can be attributed to me getting used to my new garden tools others to the alliopathic effects of nearby trees, but the previous house owner had a dog and i`m assuming that this could be the cause of such patches.

My basic plan is 3 fold;
1) airate the soil using a garden fork. (how far apart should put the holes?)
2) proprietary lawnfeed/moss killer
3) lots of hard work with the rake to remove dead moss and thatch.

I`ll also over seed the lawn at a later date.

Does any one else have any tips?
Old 21-04-2011, 04:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 4/21/2011 8:46 AM, BigIan wrote:
[...]

"Lots of moss" often means high acidity so you may need to lime instead
of using moss killer.
Old 21-04-2011, 04:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Frank wrote:
[...]

Or both.

Fertilizing alone can make a big difference.

Old 22-04-2011, 06:51 AM
BigIan's Avatar
Registered User

Thanks guys,

how does one "lime" the soil? as surely the lime would burn the living plant matter?

I added some weed/feed stuff yesterday and after popping out this morning I noticed that all the moss seems to be turning black.
So seems like i`m on to a winner, only problem is I know I now have many hours of raking it out ahead of me.
Old 23-04-2011, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

BigIan wrote:
Thanks guys,

how does one "lime" the soil? as surely the lime would burn the living
plant matter?

I added some weed/feed stuff yesterday and after popping out this
morning I noticed that all the moss seems to be turning black.
So seems like i`m on to a winner, only problem is I know I now have
many hours of raking it out ahead of me.

Garden lime won't burn anything. It's not the same as what cement is made from.

Old 23-04-2011, 12:21 PM
BigIan's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob F View Post

Garden lime won't burn anything. It's not the same as what cement is made from.
Ahhh Good job I checked that, I`ll have a look and see how its doing by the end of the year and if its still moss infested i`ll have a look at lime next year.

I`m quite enjoying the hard work.
Old 24-04-2011, 01:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

--
BigIan

At garden shops or online you can find simple soil test kits that will
let
you test the soil PH. You don't say the area involved, but aerating
by
hand anything but the smallest areas isn't practical. I'd rent a core
aerator from a tool rental place. That takes out plugs about 5/8" in
diameter and 2 inches deep. It also obviously REMOVES soil to
open it up, where as using a fork creates tiny holes by pushing
the soil to the side, ie compacting it elsewhere.

After core aeration, I'd consider topdressing with a mix of humus,
which could be one or more of topsoil, peat moss, compost, sand
, etc, depending on what the compostion is of what you have now,
what you have available locally, etc. You also might want to wait
to do the above until Fall and re-seed at the same time. If you
have crap grass and want a nice, uniform lawn, might be best
to kill it all off with Roundup in late summer, then renovate.
Old 26-04-2011, 10:01 AM
BigIan's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
On Apr 23, 7:21*am, wrote:[i]

[...]

I`ve already done the airation with a fork, and dethatched the lawn with a rake, it took me 2-3 days but its done. and as a poor student I truly can`t afford to buy/hire expencive equipment.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered User

I added some weed/feed being bygone and afterwards bustling out this morning I noticed that all the moss seems to be axis black. So seems like i`m on to a winner, alone botheration is I apperceive I now accept abounding hours of raking it out advanced of me.
Hydroponics Store

Lawn Newbie needs help [email protected] United Kingdom 5 01-12-2005 01:13 PM
Lawn Newbie needs help Ged Gardening 0 26-11-2005 07:59 AM
Lawn newbie needs advice on fertilizer The Other Mike Lawns 10 16-07-2005 03:03 PM
Newbie here needs to ask a question russandcathy Ponds (alternative) 7 10-04-2003 03:56 PM
Newbie here needs to ask a question BenignVanilla Ponds 6 02-04-2003 06:44 AM