Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default White flies at it again

What's the best organic spray for these rascals. I know soap does a pretty good job -- what kind of soap works? Someone also mentioned soaking a cigar or other tobacco in water for a few days and then using that with the soap.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 3, 3:29*am, "Guv Bob" wrote:
What's the best organic spray for these rascals. *I know soap does a pretty good job -- what kind of soap works? * Someone also mentioned soaking a cigar or other tobacco in water for a few days and then using that with the soap.

Diazinon used to work really well, but it is now outlawed. Try Eight,
the replacement for Sevin.
I believe Eight is specifically intended to be "kind to the
environment". I don't know what you mean by "oganic". Anything with
hydrogen and carbon is organic, but spraying gasoline on your plant
won't help them.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:
What's the best organic spray for these rascals. I know soap does a pretty good job -- what kind of soap works? Someone also mentioned soaking a cigar or other tobacco in water for a few days and then using that with the soap.

Diazinon used to work really well, but it is now outlawed. Try Eight, the replacement for Sevin. I believe Eight is specifically intended to be "kind to the environment". I don't know what you mean by "oganic". Anything with hydrogen and carbon is organic, but spraying gasoline on your plant won't help them.

Thanks Stubby. I don't know what the right word is. Have to stay away from manufactured pesticides. Since going with natural products, flavor & quality of the vegs and fruits are much better than when I used others. Size and yield is not are good but also don't have to worry about young'uns dipping their hands into the stuff.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:
What's the best organic spray for these rascals. I know soap does a pretty good job -- what kind of soap works? Someone also mentioned soaking a cigar or other tobacco in water for a few days and then using that with the soap.

Diazinon used to work really well, but it is now outlawed. Try Eight, the replacement for Sevin. I believe Eight is specifically intended to be "kind to the environment". I don't know what you mean by "oganic". Anything with hydrogen and carbon is organic, but spraying gasoline on your plant won't help them.

Thanks Stubby. I don't know what the right word is. Have to stay away from manufactured pesticides. Since going with natural products, flavor & quality of the vegs and fruits are much better than when I used others. Size and yield is not are good but also don't have to worry about young'uns dipping their hands into the stuff.

Please fix your wordwrap. Good grief.

And, Stubby's a clueless moron. I'd advise not taking advice from someone that
doesn't even change the oil in their lawnmower, ever.

If you *must* use an organic pesticide, there are several to choose from...

Insecticidal soap (sodium or potassium salts, combined with one or more fatty
acids) It's got to come in contact with the insect, and if it dries it will no
longer work. You'll have to reapply.

Neem (azadirachtin (AZA0 and liminoids, both from the seed kernels of the neem
tree fruit) It's most effective on immature insects. It's non-toxic to humans,
but it works slowly and if it rains at all (or you top water), you'll have to
reapply.

/Bacillus thuringiensis/ (bacteria) There are dozens of strains, and they're
host-specific. It can take a LONG time to work, and it's non-selective - any
beneficial insects that injest it will also die.

Horticultural Oil (refined petroleum oil) It suffocates the insect, and in some
cases disrupts their ability to breed. There are a few different oils, each
specific to the season.

Pyrethrin (derived from a /Chrysanthemum/) This will do the trick, BUT it will
kill ANY insect it comes in contact with. It works fast, and it's effects won't
last longer than a day. It's HIGHLY toxic to bees, so please don't use it except
as a last resort! This is the stuff in "bug bombs".
--

Eggs

When I was born, I was given a choice - A big dick or a good memory.. I don't
remember, what I chose.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote the following:
Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:

[...]

What is wrong with your newsreader?
I use Tbird and I can expand or decrease the width of the message window
and the text adjusts to the window.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message ...
Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:
What's the best organic spray for these rascals. I know soap does a pretty good job -- what kind of soap works? Someone also mentioned soaking a cigar or other tobacco in water for a few days and then using that with the soap.

Diazinon used to work really well, but it is now outlawed. Try Eight, the replacement for Sevin. I believe Eight is specifically intended to be "kind to the environment". I don't know what you mean by "oganic". Anything with hydrogen and carbon is organic, but spraying gasoline on your plant won't help them.

Thanks Stubby. I don't know what the right word is. Have to stay away from manufactured pesticides. Since going with natural products, flavor & quality of the vegs and fruits are much better than when I used others. Size and yield is not are good but also don't have to worry about young'uns dipping their hands into the stuff.

Please fix your wordwrap. Good grief..... (SNIP)

Dumbass.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:

[...]

Nothing. =)

I use Tbird and I can expand or decrease the width of the message window
and the text adjusts to the window.

You shouldn't, stay with me now... *have* to.

I don't *have* to, but I can if I want a different sized message window,
but that doesn't have any effect on what I can see.
Whatever width I have set for the message window will display the whole
message without me touching anything and it will be wrapped to the
current message window width.. If I want to expand or decrease the other
window, the text adjusts automatically to the new message window width.
I can decrease the message window width as small as it will go and still
get the entire message one word wide and every word of the message below
in a single word column, but that is hard to read normally.
When someone posts a link that is longer than my current window width,
it does not wrap. The link is unbroken and I don't have to copy and
paste the unlinked part on the next line, I only have to click on
whatever part of the link is in the current window width (and the other
part is off the left side of the screen) and I get to the site.

Newsgroup etiquette has always
included, among other things, not typing in caps, not posting binaries to text
groups, and setting word wrap to a reasonable length (less than 80 characters).
You've been around long enough to know these things, Will.

Yeah eggs, and I have watched the changes over the years. What used to
be, isn't anymore.
I still adhere to the first two, but the third part has been addressed
in more up-to-date readers.
I forget that some users are using old technology.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:
[...]

Yes, apparently you are. And you're also clueless as to how to properly
configure your newsreader. Oh, wait. You don't use one! That explains quite a
lot.

Hope the white flies ravage your plants. =)

*w00giewave*
--

Eggs

A good pun is it's own reword.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:

[...]

You shouldn't, stay with me now... *have* to. Newsgroup etiquette has always
included, among other things, not typing in caps, not posting binaries to text
groups, and setting word wrap to a reasonable length (less than 80 characters).
You've been around long enough to know these things, Will.
--

Eggs

-Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, any more than standing in a
garage makes you a car.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:

[...]

A big part of the blame for that started when Google took over the Deja archive.
They then launched GG and proceded to bork everything USENET (and they're
getting worse and worse about it.)

I still adhere to the first two, but the third part has been addressed
in more up-to-date readers.
I forget that some users are using old technology.

The OP posted with OE6. It's as far from a newsreader as you can get, and still
be able to post with it. It *does* however, have the ability to set a hard wrap.
I merely suggested (and you know me, I was unnaturally nice about it LOL), and
then proceeded to answer their question, in pretty good detail, I thought. Eff
em. Hope his plants die. =)

It's still funny that Stubby suggested chems (when answering a request for
organics) and then made a petroleum reference. He'll spray oil on his own lawn
one of these days, when his tired old oil breaks down. I'll LOL for a long time,
when that happens. =)

Ok, eggs. We're still friends. :-*

Old 05-05-2011, 03:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:

[...]

-If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:

[...]

LOL =P
--

Eggs

..sig not found. (A)bort, (R)etry, (F)ail?
Old 18-05-2011, 09:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Guv Bob said:

"Stubby" wrote in message ...
On May 3, 3:29 am, "Guv Bob" wrote:
[...]

OK, you made your point. Now see mine.

Here's a screen capture of how this posting looks on my screen. What do you think about it?
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...YXlwM214dnc9PQ

Flies persisting again into winter Kleopatra United Kingdom 23 07-11-2007 05:48 PM
White 'flies' on my tomatoes ajr United Kingdom 15 20-10-2003 02:12 PM
White flies Howie Gardening 1 26-06-2003 12:44 AM
White flies in soil and on citrus Snooze Gardening 1 25-01-2003 02:02 PM