Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered User

Default Understanding Fertilizers.....

I'm very confused when it comes to understanding the NPK on fertilizers. I know that the numbers are for Nitrogen(Foliage)-Phosphorus (root and flowers) and Potasium (plant health).
Right now I have three different fertilizers at home. The regular Miracle Grow 12 - 4 - 8, Orchid Fertilzers 30 - 10 - 10 and Hasta Gro Plant 6 - 12 - 6. Miracle Grow I use it every other Saturday to fertilize my Hydrangeas, Azaleas, Container Plants. The Orchid only when I fertilize my orchids. The Hasta Gro Plant I haven't use it yet. I just bought it as a recommendation from the person at the nursery for all my garden plants and flower beds. How do I really know if I'm using my fertilizers the correct way?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered User

This is what I use when training students. Hope it helps

N = Nitrogen Keeps lawn green and helps with disease and wear tolerance
P = Phosphates Promotes root growth.
K = Soluble Potash Strengthens lawn against climatic conditions, i.e. drought and cold.
Ammoniacal Nitrogen, Urea Nitrogen, Water Insoluble Nitrogen, Other Water Soluble Nitrogen

All these green up your lawn.
Magnesium (Mg) Makes nutrients available to the plant.
Sulphur (S) Most NZ soils benefit sulphur which is an essential plant nutrient. Sulphur encourages healthy growth.
Iron (Fe) Colours up the lawn, and kills the moss in shady places. Hardens it up to disease.
Manganese (Mn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coykiesaol View Post