Old 25-05-2011, 09:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Broad-gauge mini tractors?

Our acre of lawn is mostly bumpy, with slopes of 20 deg. (one in five)
on two sides of the house and even steeper on a third. I have never
seen a riding mower that would be safe enough from tipping (track
too narrow and wheels too small.) Just once, 30 years ago, I saw
a mini tractor with wheels at least 50 inches apart, that might do
(except that we would prefer cutters underneath, rather than a
separate tool pulled behind.

Is there on the N.American market any riding mower or mini-tractor
that can turn safely on slopes of one in five?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 26-05-2011, 04:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Don Phillipson wrote the following:
Our acre of lawn is mostly bumpy, with slopes of 20 deg. (one in five)
on two sides of the house and even steeper on a third. I have never
seen a riding mower that would be safe enough from tipping (track
too narrow and wheels too small.) Just once, 30 years ago, I saw
a mini tractor with wheels at least 50 inches apart, that might do
(except that we would prefer cutters underneath, rather than a
separate tool pulled behind.

Is there on the N.American market any riding mower or mini-tractor
that can turn safely on slopes of one in five?

My old Murray garden tractor (18 46) can handle slopes like that. I go
sideways along the side and edges of the driveway because they are
sloped up from the driveway. I can't mow go up and down the lawn there
because when the front wheels start up the grade, the rear wheels are
still on the drive way and the mover leaves high grass until all four
wheels are on the lawn. The same happens when mowing downhill there.
Going sideways does require that I lean my body over to the higher side
of the lawn with one hand holding on to the rear fender on the high side
to keep from falling off, but the tractor has never tipped (and I never
fell off either).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY