Old 26-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered User

Exclamation Help me rescue my new lawn

Hi all
Bit new to this so any help appreciated.

I had new turf laid in my garden on Monday. It looked amazing at first, so pleased with the result!

However, we have had very hot dry weather since and despite watering, I think part of the lawn may now have died. When I returned home from work yesterday (having watered for 2 hours the night before) two of the turf 'slabs' were a different colour from the others, looking straw-like and an odd blueish shade of green. They felt really dry. I watered it for a further two-and-a-bit hours focusing mainly on these areas, but this morning the discolouration was still there

My mistake may have been waiting until dusk to water (as the gardener told me to do this to avoid scorching) or possibly a faulty sprinkler - I'm not sure it has covered all areas. However my neighbours did not water on the first day at all (we both had the turf laid on monday) and their still looks in better shape.

Has the turf died or can I revive it somehow with more watering? I'm so worried about it as this was an expensive and long-awaited project and I can't believe I've ruined it so quickly. Please help!
Old 26-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Registered User

Keep the turf wet. Water as much as possible. If layed correct, it will recover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden_gal2 View Post

Old 26-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wellies View Post
Keep the turf wet. Water as much as possible. If layed correct, it will recover.
That's good to know! It rained biblical amounts here in London today, which I'm hoping will have helped. It still looks a different colour to the rest of the lawn, but not quite so dramatically paler, so I will keep up the watering and cross fingers. Thanks.
Old 26-05-2011, 09:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Help me rescue my new lawn

garden_gal2 wrote:
[...]

Fresh sod will have shallow roots. Watering for hours will just waste water. Set
up timers to water lightly a couple times during hot days, just enough to keep
it from drying out while it develops roots into the soil. Ease off on the
watering on cool days or as it toughens up, gradually switching over to weekly
heavier waterings.

Old 28-05-2011, 02:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 26, 12:46*pm, Old Wellies Old.Wellies.
wrote:
Keep the turf wet. *Water as much as possible. *

Wrong. I agree with Bob. You need to keep water available
at the roots, but no need to over do it. What exactly would
watering as much as possible mean? 24/7 with the largest
flow rate you can support?

Just water it at least once a day and keep an eye on how
quickly it dries out. Also, the advice to not water during
the day or you will "scorch" it, is rubbish. If water could
harm it that way, what would happen with passing
showers that nature provides? The reason not to water
during the day is that a lot more water will be lost to
evaporation.

Old 28-05-2011, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

garden_gal2 wrote the following:
[...]

Scott's lawn watering page (short video)
http://www.scotts.com/smg/learn/vide...110528141110:s
or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/3unr9h9

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 28-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Registered User

[...]

You really need a sprinkler. Water over night and turn of in the morning. The lawn may need aerating if it has got to dry. Dry, hard soil will resist watering as it compacts as it dries.
Old 29-05-2011, 01:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 28, 2:01*pm, Robby1 wrote:
garden_gal2;923098 Wrote:

[...]

Robby1- Hide quoted text -

More cluesss advice. Aerate sod that was laid a week ago?
Watering should be done just before the sun comes up. That
way you minimize evaporation and also don't leave the grass
wet for most of the night. Watering at say 8PM and keeping
it wet at night in summer is prescription for disease and
fungus.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered User

I think you have to make a decision between people who do this for a living, or the DIY gardeners who have read Doctor Hessions 25 year old garden book.

Techniques have changed in the professional industry over the last few years; remember Saturday football, with teams so muddy you could not tell what team was playing.

Water conservation is important to some people, but not everyone. If you have a new turf area you need to keep it wet. If you don’t, watch what happens. Shrinkage and damaged areas within days. Morning or mid afternoon it makes no difference it’s a percentage game with saving water. Everyone seems to try to better the last person’s comments.

I have trained green and grounds men for years, regardless of what anyone says, some one always knows better. I always tell my class "Advice comes cheap, but you have to pay for experience".

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post

Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Jun 3, 7:49*am, Old Wellies Old.Wellies.
wrote:
I think you have to make a decision between people who do this for a
living, or the DIY gardeners who have read Doctor Hessions 25 year old
garden book.

Techniques have changed in the professional industry over the last few
years; remember Saturday football, with teams so muddy you could not
tell what team was playing.

Water conservation is important to some people, but not everyone. *If
you have a new turf area you need to keep it wet. If you don’t, watch
what happens. *Shrinkage and damaged areas within days. *Morning or mid
afternoon it makes no difference it’s a percentage game with saving
water.

If you have to PAY for water by the amount used, which is very
common, losing a significant portion
to evaporation does make a difference. Even if you don't pay for it
in most parts
of the educated world, efforts are being made to conserve water where
you can. So is it that unreasonable to water a lawn before dawn to
reduce evaporation?

Everyone seems to try to better the last person’s comments.

Including you, numbnuts who added nothing so far.

I have trained green and grounds men for years, regardless of what
anyone says, some one always knows better. *I always tell my class
"Advice comes cheap, but you have to pay for experience".

I'm sure if they got as much info from you as the OP asking the
question, they are still clueless.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered User

Amazing Mr Trader. You know so much. Especially on saving water and things. Can we post you off to Africa? What is cheaper turf or water? Before you answer and rattle on about scales of economy and saving factors read the post again.

You sir would not last 5 seconds in the real world of making money as a business when only results are paid for.

Everyone seems to try to better the last person’s comments.

Including you, numbnuts who added nothing so far.

I have trained green and grounds men for years, regardless of what
anyone says, some one always knows better. *I always tell my class
"Advice comes cheap, but you have to pay for experience".

I'm sure if they got as much info from you as the OP asking the
question, they are still clueless.[/quote]
Old 06-06-2011, 05:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

-
Everyone seems to try to better the last person’s comments.-

Including you, numbnuts who added nothing so far.

Actually, I take that back. You did add this one gem:

"Keep the turf wet. Water as much as possible. If layed correct, it
will recover. "

Let;'s say I took your advice. I have a sprinkler system capable
of delivering 1/2" an hour. So, according to you, I should run
it 24/7 and put down 12" of water a day. See a problem with that,
regardless of the cost of water or any need to conserve?

-

Old 07-06-2011, 12:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I'm tellin' ya man. Ditch Google for a newsreader, and k/f gardenbanter and
google. The signal to noise ratio improves, dramatically. =)

--

Eggs

-A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered User

My little friend, I thought you had gone to Africa there for a moment trader.

I think you do need everything explaining to you in more detail. You and your little imaginary hose pipe.

If you make a coffee do you fill the cup until it over flows?
When driving your car, do you keep the throttle down until you hit something? That’s the gas pedal before you ask.

Like I said, I deal with people in the class like you. “Thickies” we call them in the UK.
Do people always have to explain everything to you in fine detail? If I asked you to keep something wet as possible you think it means drowned it until it washes down the road. How about keep it dry as possible then, would set fire to it?

I go to the gym as much as possible. I don’t go every day all day until I drop. Its called common sense, and it’s not common with you. I will try and explain in fine detail for you in future trader, now I know you have leaning difficulties.
I think a village is missing an idiot near you. I knew you could not resist the word conserve. You just could not help yourself.
Well I think your conserving a little too much with your toilet visits, maybe this is why you are so full of it.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered User

The dry weather will have a negative affect but don't worry to much. Is the soils underneath hard? If it is the turf can only rely on what it can hold and in the unseasonal weather won't hold much water. To be fair what I would do is replaced the affected area. Before laying the new turf I would check the soil to make sure it absorbs rain and water. If it doesn't then I would dig I few inches and replace with half sharp sand and composed. Hope this helps