GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   CHAMPION R484TR Lawnmower problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/197823-champion-r484tr-lawnmower-problem.html)

PACH 30-05-2011 04:12 PM

CHAMPION R484TR Lawnmower problem

Hello,

I have the above mower that I have been using for over three years without any problems. But now when I start it up, after a short time smoke comes out from the exhaust and surroundings. Also drops of oil come out from the exhaust.
Has anybody any suggestions what the problem could be and how to resolv it.
Thank you.

CS[_2_] 11-06-2011 01:22 AM

"PACH" wrote in message ...

Hello,

I have the above mower that I have been using for over three years
without any problems. But now when I start it up, after a short time
smoke comes out from the exhaust and surroundings. Also drops of oil
come out from the exhaust.
Has anybody any suggestions what the problem could be and how to resolv
it.
Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sounds like you've got too much oil in there.

Of course, if you haven't added oil recently, then bad news. Something in
there is broke, and when the motor heats up, oil gets into the combustion
chamber and causing the smoke.

The engine is probably shot.

More bad news. When I looked it up on Google, the first three pages of hits
were almost all posts about problems with this mower. Two or three were
yours, the rest were other folks.

Apparently, this mower is a chunk of shit.

I suggest you get a mower with a Briggs & Stratton or Honda engine, even if
it's used and needs a little TLC.

Avoid anything made by MTD, which isn't easy.

CS

Herb Eneva 11-06-2011 11:23 AM

CHAMPION R484TR Lawnmower problem

Your problem could be as simple as too much oil in the crankcase or bad
rings or a major overhaul. Check the compression.