Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Beware of this vine!

This vine appeared 2 years ago here in NY.
I didn't pay too much attention to it until it started to grow over
desirable plants
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/dscn0029wy.jpg/
After the first year that I saw it, this was the result the second year
and third year (this pic is the third year).
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/135/dscn0365j.jpg/
You can see the vine starting to grow at lower left, center, and lower
right.
Since then, i have started to pull the vines whenever I saw them. The
vines are shallow rooted so they pull out of the ground easily. They
have tiny thorns along the stem, so if you have callous hands, as I do,
they can be pulled bare handed, otherwise use gloves.
It's name is Persicaria Perfoliata, or Mile-A-Minute
Link to description of plant.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/dscn0364ss.jpg/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak wrote the following:
[...]

Sorry, that last pic was from my camera. Here's the link
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pepe1.htm

Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak wrote the following:
This vine appeared 2 years ago here in NY.
I didn't pay too much attention to it until it started to grow over
desirable plants
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/dscn0029wy.jpg/

I should have said that this is a 2 year old picture of the vine
covering a 7 or 8 foot high multiflora rose bush, whose springtime aroma
was very pleasing.
You can see what's left of the white roses trying to peek out from under
the vine at the bottom left and right of the picture.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

willshak said:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/dscn0029wy.jpg/
I should have said that this is a 2 year old picture of the vine
covering a 7 or 8 foot high multiflora rose bush, whose springtime aroma
was very pleasing.
You can see what's left of the white roses trying to peek out from under
the vine at the bottom left and right of the picture.

Yikes! Any plant able to overwhelm a multiflora rose -- an invasive, though
attractive, thug itself -- is truly a menace!

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/p...leminute.shtml

http://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/p...lorarose.shtml

--
Pat in Plymouth MI