Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered User

Cool New Turf Lawn Dying? - Help please

Hi, I am new to this forum but am hoping that someone can help with my sick lawn problem back in not so sunny Oxford.

My new turf lawn, laid just 6 weeks ago has gone from a lush green carpet, to a sparse mix of green and brown/straw colour at the root; it looks years old in just a short time. All this despite so much careful preparation, seeking the right advice and tending it with great care.

I now badly need some advice before it deteriorates further and I possibly make it worse - over/under watering, likewise cutting too much/little and it then dies altogether! But I fear the damage is already done and possibly not recoverable. Help please! I do suspect that I in part can answer my own question of why?....... because I went on holiday at what was probably a crucial point in its growth, after it had been down for just two weeks! Not ideal I know. Please read below

I carefully planned a quality lawn as the finale to a large landscaping project in my back garden slaving on it for months; see photos. Previously a poor lawn was the result of significant shade from tall trees and poor soil quality.I heavily cut back the trees letting in a lot more light so the lawn has full sun for at least 70% of the day, partly in shade from the house mid afternoon onwards. The remainder that would spend most of the day in shade was turned to slab and stones. I prepared the site by grading and sieving tons of soil to a depth of 12"/30cm with a quality loamy 4"/10cm top layer blended with compost and a sprinkling of fertiliser before laying the turf.

I laid Rowlawn Medallion turf in the rain within hours of it arriving. It was watered and tended with great care and grew rapidly to a lush green carpet. I gave it a light, high first cut after 10 days and another slightly lower cut at 2 weeks old. When I left for holiday it was lush and thriving, I asked a friend to turn on the sprinkler if the weather stayed dry or became particularly hot. We evidently had poor weather with a lot of rain so the grass grew very (too) quickly, it didn't need watering in that period and I returned after two weeks away to a very green but very high lawn - 6"/150cm at least; I know, a long time for a new lawn to be left. In that time it had roared ahead and the grass was starting to lean over due to the height.

Knowing it had to be cut, I took a light cut first bringing it down to 3", a few days later a bit more down to 2". From that point it exposed a more sparse, yellower and thinner grass where you can easily see the soil beneath it. In nearly two weeks it has gone from the very long, lush green mop of grass to something that looks like half of it is dead, as if it needs scarifying - but I know not to on such a new lawn.!

However, if you look at the photos, the edges are still green and I wonder if it is the roots being starved of light that have caused this. The green top has now been cut away exposing the half dead stalks underneath which have been starved of light etc for more than two weeks of its short life.

What can I do now though? I have spoken with Rowlawn and although they boast a lot of great technical know how on their website, the only people to talk with are sales people, not a tech expert, nobody green fingered. Rowlawn say to keep it cut relatively short 1.5" and little but often. Also to water it once a week, but it surely needs more than that with the current 22C to 26C temperatures? They say it will come back, but I'm not so confident! I would be very grateful of any help you can offer on this please.

Many thanks
Puppilup
Attached Thumbnails
New Turf Lawn Dying? - Help please-badgrass_1.jpg   New Turf Lawn Dying? - Help please-badgrass_2.jpg   New Turf Lawn Dying? - Help please-badgrass_3.jpg