Old 11-08-2011, 04:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.birds

Default Huge wasp nest - help!

In article ,
Steve B wrote:

them. After that, get or make some wasp traps. You can make them free from
Mason jars.

wasp trap -- first time I've heard of it.

How do you make one? Water? Sugar water? Oil the walls of
the jar so they can't climb out?

Thanks!

David

Old 11-08-2011, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.birds

"David Combs" wrote in message
In article ,
Steve B wrote:

them. After that, get or make some wasp traps. You can make them free
from
Mason jars.

wasp trap -- first time I've heard of it.

How do you make one? Water? Sugar water? Oil the walls of
the jar so they can't climb out?

Thanks!

David

You can go to the hardware store and see how they're made.

All you need is a Mason jar, quart size. Drill a small hole dead center to
insert a wire, then tie a knot in the wire inside the lid. Start with a
wire long enough to suspend the trap. Go to McDonald's. They have about
the biggest straws around. Cut four 1.5" pieces, and drill four holes in
the top of the lid that these short pieces will fit through, but just
barely. You can use some hot glue, or some caulk to seal them in. Poke
them about half way through. You have a $9 wasp trap. Bait it with apple
juice. We stayed at our summer cabin for two months during summer one time,
and I tried all kind of soda pops, and juices, and apple juice worked the
best. Put in enough so it is about 1.5" deep. They go in through the
straws, fly around, not finding out how to get back out the small straw
opening, tire, and fall in the juice and drown. Hang it in the shade, or
make a little hat for it so it doesn't get so hot that when they land on it,
they take off before entering the hole. On the underside of eaves is good,
or around entrances where you want to keep clear of wasps. They work pretty
good.

Steve

Huge wasp nest - help! David Combs Lawns 2 11-08-2011 02:07 PM
Huge Yew Tree or Huge Yew Bush? 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 27-05-2009 12:28 PM
Finding a wasp's nest The Filers Lawns 5 24-10-2003 07:02 AM
Wasp nest between watercourse and public right of way. What to do? Nic O'Demus United Kingdom 23 07-10-2003 08:03 PM
bee/wasp/hornet/?? Nest Martin R. Soderstrom Gardening 4 16-04-2003 07:44 PM