Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old 20-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Default PLEASE HELP! I have cut my new turf too short...

Hi there,

Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf in my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it was the runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional' if that helps...

As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a half weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors mower and went to work.

Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was actually a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very low. It also looks like the scarifier has 'scalped' some small areas of turf in a few places. Since yesterday (when I cut the lawn) some areas of yellow have now started to appear.

It is disheartening to see what was once a really lovely lawn look so bad and I am worried that I have damaged it beyond repair. It is my own fault for not researching how short I should have cut the turf. In addition, the grass was also wet when I cut it but I have only just found out that was a mistake.

Aside from having the garden re-turfed again is there anything I can do? I am hoping that with time and regular watering the garden will return to its former plush green self but I am new to gardening and really don't have a clue!

Any advice / suggestions / comforting words would be greatly appreciated!

Many, many, many thanks in advance for your response,

Chris.

  #2   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2007
Posts: 750
Default PLEASE HELP! I have cut my new turf too short...

C. Leach wrote:
Hi there,

Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf
in my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it
was the runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional'
if that helps...

As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was
rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf
responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a
half weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors
mower and went to work.

Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was
actually a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very
low. It also looks like the scarifier has 'scalped' some small areas
of turf in a few places. Since yesterday (when I cut the lawn) some
areas of yellow have now started to appear.

It is disheartening to see what was once a really lovely lawn look so
bad and I am worried that I have damaged it beyond repair. It is my
own fault for not researching how short I should have cut the turf. In
addition, the grass was also wet when I cut it but I have only just
found out that was a mistake.

Aside from having the garden re-turfed again is there anything I can
do? I am hoping that with time and regular watering the garden will
return to its former plush green self but I am new to gardening and
really don't have a clue!

Any advice / suggestions / comforting words would be greatly
appreciated!

Many, many, many thanks in advance for your response,


Keep it watered - It'll dry out faster cut that short, and let it have a few
weeks to grow back. It'll probably do fine. Just don't do that again. Probably
used the highest setting any regular mower has.


  #3   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 02:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2007
Posts: 750
Default PLEASE HELP! I have cut my new turf too short...

Bob F wrote:
C. Leach wrote:
Hi there,

Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf
in my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it
was the runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional'
if that helps...

As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was
rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf
responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a
half weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors
mower and went to work.

Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was
actually a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very
low. It also looks like the scarifier has 'scalped' some small areas
of turf in a few places. Since yesterday (when I cut the lawn) some
areas of yellow have now started to appear.

It is disheartening to see what was once a really lovely lawn look so
bad and I am worried that I have damaged it beyond repair. It is my
own fault for not researching how short I should have cut the turf.
In addition, the grass was also wet when I cut it but I have only
just found out that was a mistake.

Aside from having the garden re-turfed again is there anything I can
do? I am hoping that with time and regular watering the garden will
return to its former plush green self but I am new to gardening and
really don't have a clue!

Any advice / suggestions / comforting words would be greatly
appreciated!

Many, many, many thanks in advance for your response,


Keep it watered - It'll dry out faster cut that short, and let it
have a few weeks to grow back. It'll probably do fine. Just don't do
that again. Probably used the highest setting any regular mower has.


Also, don't forget to use a fall fertilizer - the most important one of the
year. Check locally for exactly when to apply it.



  #4   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 02:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 236
Default PLEASE HELP! I have cut my new turf too short...

On Aug 20, 9:19*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Bob F wrote:
C. Leach wrote:
Hi there,


Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf
in my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it
was the runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional'
if that helps...


As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was
rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf
responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a
half weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors
mower and went to work.


Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was
actually a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very
low. It also looks like the scarifier has 'scalped' some small areas
of turf in a few places. Since yesterday (when I cut the lawn) some
areas of yellow have now started to appear.


You must be a troll. No one could possibly be that stupid
and still be alive.



  #5   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 03:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 316
Default PLEASE HELP! I have cut my new turf too short...

C. Leach wrote the following:
Hi there,

Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf in
my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it was the
runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional' if that
helps...

As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was
rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf
responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a half
weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors mower and
went to work.



You have a lawn, but no lawn mower?


Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was actually
a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very low.



I usually check behind the mower to see what's happening to the grass. I
would have noticed that it was set too low before I got a couple of feet
into the job.



It also
looks like the scarifier has 'scalped' some small areas of turf in a few
places. Since yesterday (when I cut the lawn) some areas of yellow have
now started to appear.

It is disheartening to see what was once a really lovely lawn look so
bad and I am worried that I have damaged it beyond repair. It is my own
fault for not researching how short I should have cut the turf. In
addition, the grass was also wet when I cut it but I have only just
found out that was a mistake.

Aside from having the garden re-turfed again is there anything I can do?
I am hoping that with time and regular watering the garden will return
to its former plush green self but I am new to gardening and really
don't have a clue!

Any advice / suggestions / comforting words would be greatly
appreciated!

Many, many, many thanks in advance for your response,

Chris.






--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @


  #6   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. It really is appreciated! I'll keep an eye on it and make sure that it gets plenty of water. I'll let you know how its looking in a month. Thanks again! Chris.
  #7   Report Post  
Old 21-08-2011, 06:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 846
Default PLEASE HELP! I have cut my new turf too short...

willshak said:

C. Leach wrote the following:
Hi there,

Over two weeks ago I had a gardener lay some lovely looking new turf in
my garden. I am not sure exactly what type of turf it was but it was the
runner type and the gardener refereed to it as 'professional' if that
helps...

As advised, I watered the turf every evening for two weeks and was
rewarded with a really plush green lawn. It seemed that the turf
responded really, really well to the new top soil. After two and a half
weeks it was time to mow the lawn so I borrowed my neighbors mower and
went to work.


You have a lawn, but no lawn mower?


Only when the job was finished did I realise that his mower was actually
a scarifier and it cut the blades of grass down very, very low.


I usually check behind the mower to see what's happening to the grass. I
would have noticed that it was set too low before I got a couple of feet
into the job.


Am I the only one here with this "Mr. Bean" image in my head now?
--

Eggs

Can I yell MOVIE in a crowded firehouse?


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just cut part of my lawn too short Joe Gardening 4 30-06-2007 11:21 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Short short shoud you keep you bonsais/ Chris C. Grier Bonsai 0 03-08-2004 10:32 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too little water???? Brad and Julie Vaughn Lawns 9 04-09-2003 12:22 AM
Help! Brown lawn. Too short, Too long, Too much water or Too lois Lawns 0 27-08-2003 03:24 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017